“Very fresh seafood, good service & dated furnishing”
Review of The Crab Bucket

The Crab Bucket
Ranked #36 of 103 Restaurants in Oak Ridge
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Our group came at noon for lunch and were promptly seated by Chad. He took our drink orders and returned to provide an explanation on how we could customize some of the lunch menu combinations.

We chose a shrimp po' boy sandwich and two Crab Buckets, combination plates where you can choose several seafood options with two sides.

One bucket was fried white fish, shrimp and oysters, the other was blackened white fish, and grilled shrimp and scallops (with an upcharge for the scallops). Our sides included waffle fries, regular cole slaw, tropical cole slaw, and corn on the cob.

The seafood was hot, fresh and was certainly prepared after we ordered. The waffle fries and regular cole slaw was good, and the tropical cole slaw included some fruit, pineapple and not sure what else. It was very tasty.

The dining room is certainly not a finished environment, and I know they will be updating the dining room accommodations in the future.

But we came for the seafood, and we were very pleased with our meal and the service. The oysters were moist and very flavorful, the shrimp were around 26-30 count size, and the white fish filet was excellent. They also had some nice, homemade tartar sauce.

1  Thank Bryan L

Reviewed 10 August 2017

This is getting 1 point only because you have to. From the moment we walked in and were seated by an exit door the owner/employee children were running in and out of in extremely uncomfortable chairs, we should have left and saved money. Cisco food served as fresh, is not fresh! Service that is deplorable and "flaky" at best by an apologetic expectant mother does not add to anything! I'd prayed for fresh seafood to the area since relocating a decade ago, this left me willing to try Long John whatever. After having read reviews I'd gone in optimistic and repeatedly came hoping for something to save the night! Nothing did! All fried seafood (calamari, shrimp oysters all tasted like NOTHING....there was no taste, the batter had no flavor and I've never had an oyster or shrimp or even calamari that had NO FLAVOR.....Truly, I've had more tasteful pre-battered seafood from Sam's club! EXTREMELY LET DOWN!

2  Thank soundtrvl
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This was my second trip out to the Crab Bucket in Oak Ridge to have dinner. I was hoping to try the oysters again and see if anything had improved since my first visit June 14. Sadly the impression was not good, in fact i think its worse. They have put in booth seating that looks like its on at least it 15th life, my seat was torn and the color is very dated. The table is way to large and also dated. Very dive looking. All of the waitstaff are heavilly tattooed, dyed hair and kinda scruffy, looks like a prison break. This place really lacks direction.

Also no oysters, the only "special" was the barramundi which is glorified tilapia, sway, catfish style fish. Not exactly the type of fish I look for in a gulf inspired seafood joint. Where's the redfish, drum, lobster, haddock, cod, flounder?? No soups either. No bread with the meal. I really want to like this place since I love seafood but unfortunately, everything was very, very underwhelming. I ended up with clam strips with slaw and waffle fries. They were okay for frozen I guess, just not what I really wanted. This place gets 1 more try in a couple of months, if they are still around.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

We were excited to try this new restaurant and love good, fresh seafood which is hard to come by here. Some of the best foods come out of "little holes in the wall", so I wasn't concerned at all when we pulled up to this modest looking place. But as soon as I walked in, I KNEW we were going to disappointed. It was around 8pm when we and no one greeted us at the door, so I had to go find someone. At least five or six tables were covered with empty plates, used balled up napkins, and buckets filled with crab leg shells... When we were seated, we decided that they must have just ended a big after church dinner rush and needed to catch their breath, however those tables were not cleaned at all, even though the wait staff slowly walked past them repeatedly. Our waitress brought our food, which took a really long time, (for the expensive prices,there's no bread basket or hush puppies to work on while you wait?) We had no silverware or sauces for our food and had to wait a bit for her to return before we could get some... the corn was cold, the potatoes were good, they were out of sweet potato fries and pineapple slaw so I can't tell you about those. The shrimp was over seasoned, but our fish was good and tasted fresh. I was most disappointed by the banana pudding... having been on a diet for the past 3 months, I wanted my splurge to be a good one. I asked if it was "housemade" and was told it was. It is made with CANNED VANILLA PUDDING! The kind the lunch ladies served in your elementary school cafeteria. It's not assembled until you order it, which is why the vanilla wafers aren't soft. Worst $5 I've spent on a while. It grossed me out more than the table next to me covered in old food and dirty dishes. If they lower their prices and raise their standards then maybe they'll survive... but we won't be coming back in to see. It was awful.

1  Thank Kevandme96
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Tonight, they had an all you can eat crab leg special for $40 per person. It was crab legs with 1 side item. The restaurant was fairly busy and we had to wait about 15 minutes upon arrival, not because there weren't any tables, but because the kitchen was getting backed up. It gave a chance to look over the menu and sneak a peek at what everyone was eating.
My husband ordered the Admirals Feast which was 1/2 pound shrimp, 1/2 pound snow crab legs, and 1/2 pound Jonah crab with sausage, potatoes, and an ear of corn for $39. I had the Poseidon entrée which was a crab cake with a little lump crab meat and a few shrimp on top for $22.
The seafood did taste fresh and I enjoyed my crab cake. The only negative for my meal was that the alfredo sauce on top of the crab cake was served cold... and it needed to be heated. Also, the plating reminded me of school cafeteria food.. not very attractive, but I've seen worse.
My husband enjoyed most of his, but he had a difficult time getting the meat out of the crablegs... and he's an expert, believe me.
I would have given it 4 stars, but they also had a fly problem tonight. At one point, there were actually 3 flies on our table... not good.
On a plus side, we had a great waitress. Service was just fine.

2  Thank KaitlynHamilton