“Worth the drive from I-75 - very good food, interesting menu, great hospitality”
Review of The Front Porch

The Front Porch
Ranked #2 of 52 Restaurants in Powell
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the 1910 Historic Gill/Herrell House, The Front Porch offers unique southern dining in a relaxing atmosphere. Step back in time in this beautifully preserved treasure and enjoy a delicious lunch, dinner, and freshly baked pastries. Gift and home decor shop located upstairs.
Reviewed 16 October 2016

Driving from Indiana to Gatlinburg, we wanted to stop north of Knoxville in a restaurant not fast food. My wife found the Front Porch online, the posting said it had a front porch and a gift shop...just like a Cracker Barrel, which we enjoy. However, this is NOT a Cracker Barrel. We drove up with the two little ones, and we decided to sit on the porch. The kids ran around a bit while we tried to review the menu. I must say, the menu had a lot of really interesting choices but we finally settled on what we wanted.

Before getting into the food, I want to say that the waitresses were incredibly friendly, helpful, really just the perfect dose of Southern hospitality that we needed.

We ordered flavored iced teas...they were delicious.
Instead of bread, we were served "primitive bread" - kind of like hush puppies but the owner explained that hush puppies would have had other seasonings; anyway, they were delicious.
Appetizer: Chips and Fruit Salsa. These were fantastic...not really chips but kind of like deep fried pita. And the fruit salsa was really quite special...fresh fruit and a nice touch of spice.
Main dishes:
1) Fried chicken and waffles - really good chicken (boneless)...the waffles were good but I would have preferred them a bit thicker. Side dishes of corn casserole and mashed potatoes...both yummy. Oh and everything was served in either mason jars (side dishes) and thick round casserole-type dishes...a very homey touch
2) Trout cakes - the trout was excellent, but a bit too much sauce. It was served on cabbage - which was delicious
3) Kids burger - very good burger, good for adults too !
4) Kids spaghetti - homemade rainbow pasta - 3 or 4 different colors - way too much but quite beautiful and good (we took a doggie bag)
5) Desserts - took to go. Brownie - which was excellent - had some chocolate chunks in it (i think).

If we are ever in the area again, we'd go back in a heartbeat, and I'd recommend this highly. Again...thanks to the super waitstaff and the owner, as well, who we chatted with for a bit.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

I sat on the patio and enjoyed a concert by a jazz twosome. Wish the meal had been as good. It was not bad, just mediocre. The trout had been precooked and rewarmed. The corn casserole was out of a can. The corn bread and the baked potato were ok. Service was minimal. Would not return.

1  Thank 4bird1
Reviewed 29 September 2016

We were in Powell for an appointment and decided to go to lunch at the Front Porch. The atmosphere and prices exuded fine dining. I ordered the Steak and Chips and Blackberry Tea. My wife had the Front Porch Flatbread consisting of goat cheese, bacon and blackberries spread on a round of flatbread which I tasted. My meal was OK except that it was too salty for my taste and the steak chunks were not as rare as I prefer. My wife's flatbread meal was very tasty if you like goat cheese. The Blackberry Tea was very good and the service was outstanding. I was lukewarm about this restaurant, but my wife loved it, so we will most likely return.

1  Thank 71douglasm
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

The first two times we were there the food and service were very good. The next time it was very bad. There was a limited menu because it was an event night and it was obvious the food had been peeped and cooked off earlier. We were rushed and embarrassed as we had brought friends. We did try them again a while later and it seemed they were trying to get food cost down plus the service was dud standard. We haven't been back.

Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

I just love this cozy little restaurant. The decor is beautiful and the food is really good. I had the chicken salad and it is amazing.