Driving from Indiana to Gatlinburg, we wanted to stop north of Knoxville in a restaurant not fast food. My wife found the Front Porch online, the posting said it had a front porch and a gift shop...just like a Cracker Barrel, which we enjoy. However, this is NOT a Cracker Barrel. We drove up with the two little ones, and we decided to sit on the porch. The kids ran around a bit while we tried to review the menu. I must say, the menu had a lot of really interesting choices but we finally settled on what we wanted.
Before getting into the food, I want to say that the waitresses were incredibly friendly, helpful, really just the perfect dose of Southern hospitality that we needed.
We ordered flavored iced teas...they were delicious.
Instead of bread, we were served "primitive bread" - kind of like hush puppies but the owner explained that hush puppies would have had other seasonings; anyway, they were delicious.
Appetizer: Chips and Fruit Salsa. These were fantastic...not really chips but kind of like deep fried pita. And the fruit salsa was really quite special...fresh fruit and a nice touch of spice.
1) Fried chicken and waffles - really good chicken (boneless)...the waffles were good but I would have preferred them a bit thicker. Side dishes of corn casserole and mashed potatoes...both yummy. Oh and everything was served in either mason jars (side dishes) and thick round casserole-type dishes...a very homey touch
2) Trout cakes - the trout was excellent, but a bit too much sauce. It was served on cabbage - which was delicious
3) Kids burger - very good burger, good for adults too !
4) Kids spaghetti - homemade rainbow pasta - 3 or 4 different colors - way too much but quite beautiful and good (we took a doggie bag)
5) Desserts - took to go. Brownie - which was excellent - had some chocolate chunks in it (i think).
If we are ever in the area again, we'd go back in a heartbeat, and I'd recommend this highly. Again...thanks to the super waitstaff and the owner, as well, who we chatted with for a bit.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.