“A lunch to remember”

Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Powell
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Although I live fairly close by, this was my first time eating here. It definitely won't be my last! The tomato dill soup was so good that I got some to take home as well. Best deviled eggs besides my mom's I've ever had. And the chicken salad was excellent. Such a quaint and friendly place, too. Parking is kinda limited, but worth the trip for sure!

Reviewed 22 September 2017

There is a misconception in town that Lulu's Tea Room is a "women only" restaurant. My wife and her female friends frequent Lulu's and when I would ask what kind of restaurant it was, they would indicate the food was great, but it wasn't my kind of place. When pressed further, they said I would love the food, but would feel uncomfortable with all the women around. After that being said, it became a challenge for me to shatter the estrogen ceiling at Lulu's. Yesterday, my wife and I were at an appointment about a block away from Lulu's. The appointment ended around lunch time and I slyly suggested we go to lunch nearby. Then I cunningly stated I was starving and did not want to drive very far. Then I shrewdly asked my wife where was the closest restaurant. She begrudgingly admitted Lulu's was the closest. But, she made one last effort to dissuade me from invading her female sanctuary by saying that it was small, cramped and always crowded. I knew she was playing the "you have claustrophobia" card to try to scare me off. I bravely stood firm and insisted we go. At that point she finally accepted that her lady lair was going to be invaded. When we arrived, we were not greeted right away. There appeared to be a commotion in the kitchen. Unperturbed, I continued to boldly stand in front of the counter until finally a female staff member came out from the back and offered to seat us. There were two large well appointed dining rooms off to the right with several empty tables. Also, there was a single empty table to the immediate left of the counter and in the foyer completely isolated from the other dining areas. Guess which table the staff member offered us? I rejected her segregationist offer for us to sit at the single table. I insisted we be integrated into one of the large dining areas. We were finally seated at a very nice table near a window. Menus were brought and a very pleasant server, knowing this was my first time at Lulu's, was courteous and helpful. For my entree I ordered, a chicken salad croissant, a garden salad and jello. This may sound like a simple lunch, but it was not. The chicken salad contained currants, pecans and celery and was heaped high within a fresh soft croissant. The salad had a tomato, piece of yellow pepper, currants and cucumber slices swimming in a field of greens. It was accompanied by a raspberry vinaigrette dressing on the side. The jello consisted of a mixture of pretzels and honey with a layer of cream cheese on top. On top of the cream cheese was a layer of the best raspberry jello I've ever tasted. The dish was topped off with a layer of whipped cream. The meal was so outstanding I believed nothing could ever exceed it. That was until our server said they had a chocolate pumpkin cake as one of their desserts. Since chocolate and pumpkin are my two favorite things, I had to order a piece. The chocolate cake was moist with a slight pumpkin spice flavor. On top of the cake was a layer of pumpkin colored cream cheese laced with cinnamon. On top of the cream cheese was a thick layer of whipped cream. The layers were finally topped off with a peach slice heralding the completion of the dessert. This was the best dessert I've had in a long time. When I think of restaurants that cater to female tastes, I usually suspect that there is very little food being served on the plates. That is not the case with Lulu's. I have a very large appetite and my waste line shows it. I left Lulu's completely sated. Now that I've broken the gynecological barrier at Lulu's, I suggest that any gentlemen reading this review try Lulu's Tea Room the next time you are in Powell TN. I know I will return.

1  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Someone invited me here for a business lunch. I'm glad they made a reservation because the place was full. They're only open 11am-2pm. Parking can be a challenge but everyone makes do. Parking on the lawn and across the street are common, just please don't park at the neighboring Thress Nursery lot as per their request.
The space has a semi-Victorian yet Southern Paula Deen feel. Cozy but not uncomfortably so. Rooms bustle with the sounds of laughter, conversation, and busy forks. Easy ordering to choose one entree and two sides--or a tea tier. Tea and Desserts abound! (and you can get them to go.)
Service was swift and attentive. I will note that I didn't see any males in the place. Perhaps some in BOH? I was told there's a room upstairs for trying on hats but we didn't venture up there. All reasonably priced and the management is very hands-on. Very good experience!

2  Thank ec0adventurer
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

My sister wanted to treat me to something unique for my birthday and neither of us had been to Lulu's before but we'd heard good things. The problem was that our table was in the reception/cashier/gift shop/waiting area - we felt like we were eating lunch in a lobby! Frankly I think the decision to put two tables in this area was a bad one. Very disappointing that we weren't able to enjoy the decor and tea house ambiance.
The food was very good and the staff was friendly but not terribly attentive. We will probably give Lulu another try but next time we won't sit in the Lobby.

2  Thank Mammmmmm
Reviewed 3 May 2017

My friend and I visited Lulu's based on the tripadvisor reviews after both of the tea rooms in Knoxville closed. We had a craving for the traditional tea tier and it was amazing! We had chocolate muffins upon arrival and were offered our choice of a selection of hot or cold teas. I had a side of the tomato dill soup and my friend had the stuffed pears as an appetizer. Both are not to be missed! The chicken salad sandwiches, fruit, and sweet breads on the lunch tier were beautifully presented. Hot cranberry and chocolate scones were also brought to our table after our request at the time of our reservation.

It was a fun and delicious girls' lunch in a charming old house. It was also an amazing value. I was too stuffed to try one of the beautiful cakes but I will plan on that my next visit for sure. Highly recommend this place for a special lunch!

3  Thank cleekball