New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Entertaining historical drama. Slow start but once it gets going, fascinating account.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buttonwillow Civil War Dinner Theater

Buttonwillow Civil War Dinner Theater
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Whitwell
Atlanta
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Booth Art Museum in Cartersville, Georgia, which is associated with the Smithsonian Institute, invited the Buttonwillow Civil War drama to perform on the road at their monthly dinner theater. i have read several period journals including Mary Chestnut's diary, Sarah Morgan's diary, "Children of Pride" by Meyers and other first hand accounts of the Civil War, so I was hoping for historical accuracy. I was not disappointed. The first part of the drama started a bit slow for me as it took some time to establish the setting and storyline for what followed, which was a detailed history lesson in dramatic form. Once the real history lesson got underway peppered with the dry wit and great timing of the soldier's sister, it really moved quickly. I need to see it again to absorb the huge amount of information that they covered. The whole play only has the two characters -- a Union soldier and his Confederate sister. (In real life the actors are husband and wife.) I can't wait to see it again at the Buttonwillow Church location when we get the opportunity to visit Tennessee. This is definitely a taste of Southern culture. The accents are real.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank kcbatlanta

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Different perspective on Civil War history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed the food, the gift shop, and the history lesson at Buttonwillow Church. It's so far off the beaten path that it could be easily missed, but it's worth the trip. Steve and Allison Gipson are the actors in an entertaining and informative drama who present, what was to me at least, little known facts about the Civil War that certainly added to my understanding of that time in our history. Steve's passion for setting the record straight is obvious, but he maintains a hold on objectivity. The drama takes place in Tennessee, but he wears a union army uniform. It's education in a great setting.

Visited June 2011
7 Thank barbleenc
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“What they didn't teach you in School!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

This is a fantastic experience! As an avid living historian, trust me when I say the Gipson’s are so well educated and do a splendid job re-teaching history. Everyone should see this show at least once in their lives if not 5 or more! We had a great time and the food was delicious! Well done folks! Hope to see you 5 more times!!

Visited March 2011
4 Thank CivilWarNut522
Lake City, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Best Part of Our Trip to Tennessee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Like others that have written about their visit, I thought for sure I had wasted my time and money when we first pulled into this small town called Whitwell. It didn't take long before I was proven wrong. I was never into History, in fact, usually found it boring. Let me just say, "If any of my History classes were as interesting or entertaining as this play, I would have aced my class" You are welcomed personally by two of the most down to earth people I have ever met. Shortly therafter, you are seated for a fantastic meal. Cooked like the food from that time era. Cracker Barrel should take notes. Just as you are stuffed and ready to burst, the play begins. Steve sneaks in so many Historial facts that it is mind boggling, while Allison delivers gut wrenching lines with such an incredible ability to keep a straight face. I laughed so hard that my sides hurt. The History lesson that you get comes in the funniest, yet realistic form. Towards the end of the play, I wondered how they would wind it up. It was a excellent ending. Not only to a good play, and afternoon, but turned out to be the best part of our trip to Tennessee. My husband and I both are still talking of how good it was. We will definantly go again. Thanks for the memory we can always share! Ron & Connie Justice (Florida)

9 Thank Connie J
Florence
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It was a big hit with our tour group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

I was part of a tour group that visited Buttonwillow this past May. Everyone in our group loved the meal and play. I highly recommend Buttonwillow to individuals as well as tour & church groups. One thing that really adds to the enjoyment is the way Steve presents history coupled with the dry wit of Allison. The lunch was yummy! Steve and Allison are to be commended for the extraordinary job in decorating the old church building. The only negative I experienced was the dining chairs were not comfortable, but the quality of the play and meal outweighs that. While you are in Whitwell, you may want to take another 30 minutes to visit the Whitwell Middle School's Holocaust Memorial. It is amazing what a group of middle school students accomplished. This is also know by the movie "Paper Clip Project"

3 Thank linda1326