“The Best Part of Our Trip to Tennessee” 5 of 5 bubbles

Buttonwillow Civil War Dinner Theater
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Whitwell
Lake City, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Best Part of Our Trip to Tennessee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Like others that have written about their visit, I thought for sure I had wasted my time and money when we first pulled into this small town called Whitwell. It didn't take long before I was proven wrong. I was never into History, in fact, usually found it boring. Let me just say, "If any of my History classes were as interesting or entertaining as this play, I would have aced my class" You are welcomed personally by two of the most down to earth people I have ever met. Shortly therafter, you are seated for a fantastic meal. Cooked like the food from that time era. Cracker Barrel should take notes. Just as you are stuffed and ready to burst, the play begins. Steve sneaks in so many Historial facts that it is mind boggling, while Allison delivers gut wrenching lines with such an incredible ability to keep a straight face. I laughed so hard that my sides hurt. The History lesson that you get comes in the funniest, yet realistic form. Towards the end of the play, I wondered how they would wind it up. It was a excellent ending. Not only to a good play, and afternoon, but turned out to be the best part of our trip to Tennessee. My husband and I both are still talking of how good it was. We will definantly go again. Thanks for the memory we can always share! Ron & Connie Justice (Florida)

9 Thank Connie J

Florence
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It was a big hit with our tour group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

I was part of a tour group that visited Buttonwillow this past May. Everyone in our group loved the meal and play. I highly recommend Buttonwillow to individuals as well as tour & church groups. One thing that really adds to the enjoyment is the way Steve presents history coupled with the dry wit of Allison. The lunch was yummy! Steve and Allison are to be commended for the extraordinary job in decorating the old church building. The only negative I experienced was the dining chairs were not comfortable, but the quality of the play and meal outweighs that. While you are in Whitwell, you may want to take another 30 minutes to visit the Whitwell Middle School's Holocaust Memorial. It is amazing what a group of middle school students accomplished. This is also know by the movie "Paper Clip Project"

3 Thank linda1326
Huntsville, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This is an attraction NOT to be missed!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

Don't be fooled by the church being located in a small town. I wasn't sure just what I had signed my husband and I up for at Buttonwillow Church but quickly realized it was a terrific decision! Upon arrival, Steve and Allison (dressed in period clothing) rolled out the red carpet and were the perfect hosts, welcoming us all, mingling, and providing some civil war era history tidbits. The dinner was excellent, served hot, and there was plenty of it! The show was not only entertaining, but also interesting, educational, and there were many laughs throughout! It's definitely worth swinging by there!!

3 Thank genie3591
birmingham, alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Entertainment, Great Food, Great Education, what else is needed?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Our family trip to the ButtonwillowChurch Civil War Dinner Theater was a wonderful experience. The hosts, Steve and Allison. were delightful and full of information about the Civil war era. Not only did we learn history, but we also learned about culture and cuisine. The delicious food is served piping hot and the period accurate recipes are part of the authentic experience. We felt as if we had been transported back in time to the 1860's. The hosts enthusiasm for their subject matter is catching and we felt as if we had been welcomed into their homes and their lives. The time we spent to have this living history experience was well worth it. The kids loved it.

1 Thank cooterp14
tweety7277
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great evening out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

Dont let the small town fool you. Buttonwillow Church Civil War Dinner Theater is a great night out. The evening begins when you are welcomed into the gift shop to check in a mingle with other guests and the owners. Once you are shown to your table, drinks are served. After a delightful preshow talk, the meal is served (make sure you come hungry the meal is amazing!). There is a break between the meal and the show, and then sit back and relax, the show is a treat. There is a ton of information flying at you, but the humor keeps the mood light. You're certain to leave with a smile on your face and a full belly!

1 Thank tweety7277