“Good location, comfortable room with good weekend rates”

Dallas Marriott City Center
Ranked #31 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Sydney
“Good location, comfortable room with good weekend rates”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed over a weekend and were pleased with the weekend rate that included breakfast.

The rooms were large and comfortable - ours overlooked the galleria and the indoor skating rink. The retail section of the galleria keeps 'office hours', so don't expect much open after 5pm. At the weekend this part of Dallas is "quiet". We chose the hotel because of its location to public transport and its proximity to the major Dallas art galleries and museums. From that perspective it worked well.

The breakfast buffet was "adequate", you wouldn't describe it as anything special, but it was fine. The service was prompt and efficient.

The hotel staff gave us a number of recommendations for dinner on our 3 nights - they were good recommendations and we enjoyed them all.

Our one gripe, if you choose not to use the valet parking service is that the carpark in the adjacent office tower (nothing to do with Marriott) re-sets the weekend rate at midnight on Sunday. Our early hours on Monday carpark stay was in our view, excessively expensive, for what was "off peak" park.

In summary, we were well please with our stay, we felt we had received very good value for money and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Washington DC
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at the Dallas Marriott City Center for 2 nights in January 2012. I enjoyed my stay very much and I thought the hotel was very good. I stayed in a standard room (king) and at first I thought the hotel had upgraded me without telling me because the room was surprisingly large. The rooms seem to have been renovated pretty recently because they were very modern and clean. The beds are super comfortable but my sleep wasn't that great. I could hear a light tapping sound through my vent, which disturbed me a little. (I'm a light sleeper though and I doubt it would bother a heavy sleeper).

One thing that I particularly enjoyed was the number of outlets in the room. We all travel with so many small electrical devices these days and it can be frustrating when there isn't anywhere to plug them in.

The hotel is connected to a galleria and there are many places to eat (as well as an ice skating rink). Most of the shops and restaurants close around 5pm (or so), so I would not rely on them for dinner. The one thing I didn't love about the hotel was the room service. My food was lukewarm and soggy and not really appetizing. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and that was delicious though.

The hotel's concierge lounge is also fantastic.

The location of the hotel is great. It is located right next to a DART station, and it is only 2-3 stops from the 6th Floor Museum at Dealy Plaza. I'd stay there again for sure!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank cjb11711
North Richland Hills
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Nice size rooms and good city views. Beds comfy, but heavy comforters are cumbersome. Nice bar menu in lieu of full dinner prices; well drinks $5 @ happy hour. No pool or hot tub, but two computer terminals available at no charge in lobby. Fun to watch ice skaters in rink adjacent to lobby. Valet parking is $23, breakfast buffet $19 with spotty service --ouch!
Easy 4-5 block walk to Symphony Hall, Winspear, and Performing Arts Center. West End, Deep Ellum would require short taxi ride. Just a few blocks to Dallas Farmers Market.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. Elevators are prompt.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeniorTrips
Colorado
Reviewed 6 January 2012

If you're a Marriott Platinum rewards member you'll appreciate the newly updated concierge lounge. It's beautifully appointed with comfortable seating and dining furniture, subdued evening lighting, and great views of the Dallas skyline. The lounge is huge with enough space so you can conduct a business call without being overheard by the entire lounge. Morning and evening food selection is very good - the staff does a great job of keeping fresh food available.

You can request a room with a view of the City Centre ice rink or the City itself. My king size room was well appointed, a decent size, quiet and quite comfortable, but most important it was well maintained.

The lobby was still ungoing renovations during my week long stay, but if the rest of the hotel is any indication it should turnout nicely.

If you are valet parking a car call at least 20 minutes ahead to have it ready for you or you risk waiting at least that long while the car is being retrieved.

The gym cardio and weight equipment were new and all was in working order. Marriott seems to be putting a bit more effort into this area of their hotels - finally! The hotel has a indoor lap pool (not regulation length at approximately 20m) that as a lap swimmer I was elated to see. However I decided not to use it since it was super heated - which works well for lounging around, but not lap swimming.

I will definitely stay at this hotel for upcoming Dallas business trips.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the City Centre ice rink for a change of pace.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank girlcats
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I took the family here for the second year in a row in December. Marriott has only owned this property for just over a year and they say renovation is almost complete (to be done by end of year). The kids really enjoyed ice skating located right there at the hotel. Christmas decorations were pretty throughout the atrium. As for the hotel, the room was nice and clean. We had a city view on the 12th floor. Room service was prompt and desserts were good, but expensive (all we ordered was dessert). The lobby was quite dusty but apparently this is the final phase of construction / renovation. The location is right downtown on the east side near the DART rail station, but a fair distance from the West End. As previously mentioned, the restaurant is temporarily located across the atrium. Breakfast was OK. Somewhat limited choices, but service was outstanding (great job Edib).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family