“Chan the Man”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #645 of 3,952 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 635 & Coit
Description: Prepare for a dining experience unlike any other. Watch as your personal chef performs the ancient art of Teppanyaki. Listen as razor-sharp blades slice through tender steak and juicy chicken. Take in the aroma of sizzling shrimp, lobster and savory vegetables. Or visit our sushi bar, where your sushi chef will prepare fresh nigiri, sashimi and specialty rolls, all with the same flair that made Benihana a legend in Japanese cuisine.
Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

We (5 coworkers from TN, CA, WA & FL) enjoyed dinner at the Dallas restaurant at 7775 Banner Dr last evening and it was the finest experience by far. The wit and humor of teppanyaki pro Chan kept us in stitches!! The food was delicious as expected, but the service by the young man waiting on us "hand and foot" (9pm) was EXCEPTIONAL!

I also frequent the Miramar and most recently (last week) Coral Springs location and enjoyed the delivery. BUT... again, as proven by Chan and our waiter (pls forgive me for being so taken by his great service) proved, "everything's bigger in TX!"

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Have eaten at Benihana the last two years while attending a conference. The staff are friendly, food is great, and the chef has the besdt sense of humor.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

We have enjoyed Benihana for years. Unfortunately, we are now witnessing the ongoing decline of what was once a great dinner spot with a show. We are now faced with "Chefs" that are about as skilled as my husband is at cooking dinner. This is not a compliment. Tonight, our chef spoke very little English, had NO knife skills and served a dinner I could have purchased at a Chinese restaurant in any mall in the U.S. - for a fraction of the price. It's just sad to see a spot that brought many smiles to diners of all ages become a restaurant that serves tired food to disillusioned diners.

Reviewed 18 January 2016

Really, I should have known better, but this was the only place close to where I was staying with half decent reviews.
The ambience was ok, but for one of the few times in my greedy life the main course went back with only one mouthful out of it.
Soup starter ok, wine good, side dish tasty, but it arrived (fairly hot) about 10 mins before the main it was to accompany.
This is basically a sushi/sashimi place, but I opted for a baked option, which was neither cooked nor raw, tasted revolting and screamed 'I am trouble'.
Back it went uneaten, at which point the bad odour I clearly generated, prevented anyone from coming near me again.
Then two staff start snapping at each other.
"Don't tell me how to do my job",
Time to go.
To be fair offending dish was left off the bill.
On the issue of how to do your job....see above.

1  Thank James K
BrandCommunication, brand communication at Benihana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

we apologize for this disappointing experience. If you have not done so already, please complete our contact form: Benihana.com/contact. Be sure to select Guest Relations as your category. Our team would love to follow up with you. You're welcome to copy/paste your review in the comments to save time. Your feedback helps us to make improvements. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

This was my first time to experience Benihana. I’ve always wanted to and now know I have not missed anything. I’ll give some good points and finish it up with why my experience was Ekisaitingude wa arimasen (not exciting).

There is plenty of parking across the street (watch out for the broken beer bottles) but only valet is available on their lot. The entrance is cool and complete with a huge koi pond. The décor is dated but in a cool way and not open-concept like modern restaurants. The attitude of the employees is exceptional and the service even better. My water glass never got empty which is very important to me.

Now for the “just okay” part. The place is made up of individual dining areas which seat 8 people to a table and uses dishes that scream 1974. My room had two tables which should have had a “spoiler alert” sign posted as the other table’s chef did all the “tricks” which were meaningless when it was my table’s turn. By the way, dimming the lights and shining a green laser on a smoking onion while making choo choo train noises did not do it for me.

The crowd is one you would see at Walmart and there were numerous birthdays because…wait for it…the staff is forced to clap and sing happy birthday in both English and Japanese. This place goes on my boycott list because of that stupid practice. Oh, and you get a picture of your group complete with a paper frame (yawn).

My bill in both the bar area and dining room had to be corrected so I advise you to check the numbers or you may be overcharged. I never saw a manager making the rounds which I believe contributes to the success of a restaurant. If one had done that then hopefully he/she would have thrown out the idiot sitting next to me who preferred to watch videos on his big screen cell phone while on speakerphone. Apparently he was also bored with the cheesy antics of the chef. By the way, he had a cooked roll so why was this fool at the main table where it was not prepared? That's what the bar area is for which is also appropriate for cell phone users.

My food was cooked to order and I definitely recommend the fried rice but that was interrupted because they don’t wait for everyone to leave before cleaning the area for the next group. I don’t need to see someone cleaning the grill, stacking dishes and attempting to sweep food off of the floor while paying for my check. Imagine a cleaning team removing the remains of a frat party.

So there you have it. Overpriced, tacky and annoying. Sayonara, Benihana.

1  Thank glb310

Been to Benihana? Share your experiences!