“Better than Your Average Airport Hotel”
Review of Hyatt Regency DFW

Hyatt Regency DFW
Ranked #26 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver
“Better than Your Average Airport Hotel”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This Hyatt is definitely better than your average higher end airport hotel.

The high points: free parking, renovated rooms, airport views, decent restaurant, on-airport, lots of elevators

Low points: no status recognition beyond free internet, front desk staff quality lower than other Hyatts I've recently stayed at, nowhere near anything due to on-airport location, shower height extremely low (I'm 6'3 and I had to watch my head while in the shower to avoid hitting the ceiling).

This hotel is not a bad hotel and it kills most other brands' airport hotels out of the park. However it is quite clear they are attempting to differentiate between this hotel and the nearby Grand Hyatt. I was at this hotel for about 15 hours total, of which 8 of them were sleep. The rest were spent in the restaurant and in my room.

The restaurant staff were the highlight of the experience. Everyone was insanely friendly and I had long conversations with two of them about life, family, and work, it was really great since I was travelling alone for work. The food however wasn't up to the same quality level, it was acceptable though.

The front desk staff were friendly enough but when I checked in they did not recognize the HGP Platinum/Diamond line nor did they recognize my status at all beyond informing me that my rate included breakfast (AAA rate). I know that welcome gifts are not part of the platinum guaranty but this is the first Hyatt I have been at where I did not receive a welcome gift, let alone any recognition at all. I also did not receive a preferred room that I requested (runway view, nor a higher floor). As I was travelling on a Saturday I find it hard to imagine that all the higher floor and/or runway view rooms were taken.

Aside from that this hotel was quite nice. The rooms are small but can allow for a lot of space. There is a movable desk and the bed is very comfortable. The TV was of decent quality though the reception on some of the channels was subpar, which is something I have a hard time fathoming in this day and age. There was a desk chair and separate lounging chair in the room as well.

The bathroom was well stocked with both mouthwash and toothpaste and apart from the extremely tight fit in the shower the bathroom renovations were a definite plus.

If I were to go to DFW again I'd likely stay at the Grand Hyatt as I think it would be a better experience but I wouldn't be disappointed or against staying at this Hyatt Regency again. If you're trying to save some cash or just need a bed to crash in for a night then the Regency is the place for you. Though it seems as though the Grand Hyatt DFW (I've never been) is a better place for longer stays, though I can't imagine why you'd have a long stay at DFW unless you're an aviation consultant.

As always I hope this review is helpful and if you have any questions regarding my review just send me a message.

Room Tip: Runway view!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency DFW, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed review of your recent stay at Hyatt Regency DFW. We appreciate your compliments of our convenient location inside DFW International Airport and transformed guest rooms with comfortable Hyatt Grand Beds and flexible work space. Your specific compliments of our friendly restaurant staff as the "highlight of the experience" are appreciated and have been shared with our entire team. Your noted concerns have been shared with our management staff. Thank you again for taking the time to submit this valuable feedback; we look forward to your return.

Rusty Macy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My last review of this hotel was in 2007. The hotel is now completely renovated.

Location: Right in the middle of DFW airport but it's not connected to any terminals directly. It's a short walk though to one of the terminals from the parking garage where you can then access Skytrain for the rest of the airport. Free parking included. You can also get the airport tolls validated at the bell desk or the front desk.

Service: Good and friendly faces throughout.

Rooms: All renovated overall so the quality is good with new furnishings. Room size is good and the bed is comfortable. There is an iPhone dock that serves as an alarm clock. The bathroom does not have a tub but just a large shower. Large flat screen TV is the standard these days. Runway noise was not noticeable.

Breakfast: Booked on a corporate rate that included buffet breakfast (normal rate is around $17). Quality is decent. The omelette station does a good job, and the fruit selection was excellent. Cereal selection could have been improved though. Hyatt Place is better in that area. Coffee tasted diluted and poor.

Other facilities: Didn't try the pool or the fitness center. There is ample convention space at the basement and a nice bar area. Internet costs money unless your plan includes it, or unless you are an elite Hyatt member.

Overall: The hotel is above average but it usually costs over $200 on weekdays so it doesn't come cheap.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency DFW, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for this review from your recent visit to Hyatt Regency DFW. Your comments about our friendly service, guest room furnishings and comfortable Hyatt Grand Beds are much appreciated. We have shared your specific compliments about our nice bar area and omelette station and excellent fruit selection at breakfast with our culinary team. Your concerns have been shared with the management staff. We do recommend that our guests take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to and from all airport terminals instead of walking due to multiple flights of stairs. Thank you again for your valuable feedback; we hope to see you again soon.

kansas city
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Quick pick up from the airport (less than 5 minutes after call) wonderful clean, comfy room. You can certainly see the effects of a multi million dollar renovation. Great staff at this hotel. Great rooms, great service.

Room Tip: If you like to view the DFW airport...ask for a room on higher floor, great view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your 5-star review of Hyatt Regency DFW. Your compliments of our great staff, clean and comfortable rooms and great service are very much appreciated. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Seattle
Reviewed 7 February 2012

How good can an "airport hotel" really be? Especially one that is acutally IN the airport? The answer in this case is "really good!" For logistics reasons, our team needed to meet in a central location, easy for all of us to get to without a lot of hassle, for a one-day meeting. All of us bemoaned having to go to an airport hotel, just knowing how beaten up many can be. Hyatt Regency DFW was a nice and inexpensive surprise. While it is now the "old maid" of the DFW Hyatt properties (the newer is the Grand Hyatt), the management and ownership has done a good job at keeping up appearances. Rooms were clean and well-appointed. Restaurants and bars all far above-average. The catering (remember, we had a team meeting) was unexpectedly well-done and the food well-prepared and tasty! Given it's location, it is not a "destination" hotel. But, if you need to layover or you have a group meeting like us, there is no need to go outside DFW itself if you want to avoid hassle, transporation costs, etc. Nice job, Hyatt Regency DFW!

Room Tip: Even being literally in the middle of the airport, I was not disturbed by plane noise. So, don'...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency DFW, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency DFW as a "nice surprise" during your recent team meeting. We appreciate your comments about our clean and well-appointed guest rooms. Your specific compliments of the catering for your team meeting as "unexpectedly well done and the food well-prepared and tasty!" have been shared with our entire team. Thank you for providing the tip to future meeting planners about avoiding the hassle and transportation costs by hosting a meeting at Hyatt Regency DFW. We look forward to your return
visit.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Upscale and quiet, clean rooms. Convienant for DFW. They have a lot of conventions here so forget getting access to the bar in the evening.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HyattDallasDFWPR, General Manager at Hyatt Regency DFW, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you for this review from your recent visit to Hyatt Regency DFW. We appreciate your compliments of our upscale hotel, convenient location and quiet, clean guest rooms. We hope you will return soon.

Rusty Macy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
Grand Hyatt DFW
#2 of 203 in Dallas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,093 reviews
Hyatt Place DFW
#1 of 8 in Euless
Downtown Dallas
#22 of 203 in Dallas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,598 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency DFW? Share your experiences!