“Mediocre”

Ranked #35 of 145 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: German Style Lodge featuring schnitzel, wursts, spätzle, sauerkraut, strudel and more. Also top-quality steaks, fresh salads, and delicious sandwiches. Texas-style Biergarten with over 80 different beers, live music, and pet-friendly.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I read the reviews prior to going to Fredricksburg and picked this restaurant based off them. I was really looking forward to German food but was dissappointed. I dont want to sound bitter with grandiose expectations, but I was looking forward to this trip for quite some time as I can't get german food where I am from. First off the meal arrived within 10 minutes of me ordering (Jagerschnitzel) which sent an alarm that it was pre-made somehow. It looked like fast food in appearance with two side dishes stacked on the plate in their own little serving bowls- just seems like a better appearance if they are all on the plate. Once you remove the dishes so you can cut your schnitzel the plate seemed empty. The spatzle was dry and broken up like old pasta would look. On the bright side the hot potato salad dish was new to me and very tasty. I ate at the bar and the conversation with a couple of "regulars" was obviously more important to the bartender. The bar was dirty and despite him coming around with a rag and me moving my beer glass and personal items, he didn't bother to clean it. The Jagerschnitzel was OK, but once it was all set down in front of me I was wondering to myself if they would be offended if I decided to go try another restaurant. In fairness, I was there pretty late- 8:30pm, but I would think they'd strive to have a great experience any time the place was open.

Sarah B, Public Relations Manager at The Auslander Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, Ronald. We're sorry to hear that the food wasn't to your liking and that you had a negative service experience. We will be sure to address this issue with our bartender, as we take pride in always providing our customers with a memorable experience.

As for the Jagerschnitzel, we can assure you that all of our dishes are made fresh to order, NEVER pre-made. We only keep fresh meat in house, which is what we use when making our schnitzels.

We do hope that you'll give us a second chance in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We went in with a group of about 10, we were given great food and service. The beer was great and the atmosphere was nice. The food was very tasty, the sauerkraut was not the best in the area but still not bad. The schnitzel and spatzle was very good. We will be back again!

Sarah B, Public Relations Manager at The Auslander Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We're happy to hear that you and your party enjoyed your visit with us! We hope to see you all back in again soon. :)

Reviewed 18 May 2018

We had a late lunch here and were looking for some German food. My mother and I split the cabbage roll meal which worked perfectly for us as we are light eaters. We were served in a timely manner and our food was great!

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, Susan! We hope to see you back in again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

The service was pretty bad. Ordered a water, a glass of wine, and a beer. It took forever to get the beer and wine. My husband ordered a soup that came after our food had been brought out. The food was pretty bland and just not exciting. Over all disappointing.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

My wife and I needed a German food fix and headed for a long weekend in Fredericksburg. After sampling multiple German restaurants, this was hands-down our favorite. The Auslander’s food was as close to authentic fare we’ve had for a while.

The main room is a big high-ceilinged hall with long tables and German trappings hanging from the walls and beams. A smaller room, and bar, opens onto the street for great people watching.

I was suspicious of their twist on Wiener schnitzel – rough breading, and a brown gravy on the side – but was pleasantly surprised. A bite of the schnitzel with a bit of tangy red cabbage and a touch of gravy was great. A seasonal peach cream pie was a nice surprise, too.

The restaurant had decent selection of German draft beers, including multiple heffeweissens.

Sarah B, Public Relations Manager at The Auslander Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

We're happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your visit with us! We hope to see you both back in again soon. :)