“Nothing fancy, good food”

David's Old Fashioned Pit BBQ Restaurant
Ranked #93 of 145 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: We do Bar-B-Q the right way, old fashion slow cooked. You can get it by the plate or by the pound. We offer daily specials, sandwiches and side orders. Need custom Bar-B-Q, catering or a meeting room, we can do that too? Our hours are Sunday - Thursday 11:00am - 4:00pm and Friday & Saturday 11:00am - 9:00pm. Our BQ pit is located in the park, along with our main parking lot.
Reviewed 22 May 2016

The place is not fancy, but it is clean has friendly staff and the food is good. The sauce is a little bit on the vinegary side, but not to much so. My wife and daughter had the brisket sandwich and I had the 1/2 BBQ Chicken, both were good. If you like Sweet Tea be careful. I don't know if they accidentally made the tea as sweet as it was or if that is the way they make it. I finally ended up mixing 50/50 Sweet and Unsweetened Tea to make it drinkable for me. Prices were fairly reasonable for a tourist town.

Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

I haven't tried the breakfast tacos but the BBQ is not real tasty. I would recommend the half chicken for lunch. Really nice owners!

Reviewed 2 May 2016

When we are in Fredericksburg, a Saturday morning breakfast taco is our usual. I usually have a German sausage (spicy) with egg and cheese. With the fresh salsa, a very good and filling meal.

We were talking to a couple of locals who suggested we try a special BBQ sauce there. It is not out to see, but if you ask, they will give you a small cup of it with a serious warning that it is hot.

Put a little to my tongue - big mistake, it really is over the top of hot. But i liked the flavor, so i mixed a little in the traditional BBQ sauce, and that resulted in a Sauce worthy to be called Texan.

Oh yes, the brisket was done to perfection, the green beans very good, as well as the potato salad. Will get the hot sauce next time we visit, but i will mix it first!!

Reviewed 25 April 2016

We tried this place for Sunday lunch. It looked nice and clean as we entered. I ordered a two meat plate with brisket & Sausage and my wife had a one meat with Chicken. We received our food rather quickly. My wife noticed she was given the chicken breast instead of the dark meat she ordered. But they were getting busy and she decided not to hassle saying anything, our mistake. The chicken breast was extremely dry! My brisket and sausage were both cooked quite well. Good smokey flavor and tender. However, their house BBQ sauce was unlike any I've had and I've had a lot. It was more of a ketchup & mustard blend with little to no flavor. You'd be better off with the green chile sauce.The sides were ok, but nothing original (open can and heat). The folks were nice, which always helps. But if we were ever going to try it again, it would be only to get a few meats to-go. Get it and go home with a real BBQ sauce and more flavorful sides.

Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

I had beef ribs that was full of fat, could not eat it, I took a couple of bites out of my mouth, it was inedible. My husband had to have pork ribs as they ran out of the beef ribs, they were full of gristle, very little meat. The sweet potato fries were good & so was the macaroni salad. The cole slaw was dry, pinto beans had no flavor.