All reviews tent cabins twin beds watering hole behind the scenes ceiling fan next morning fossil rim my son dama pavilion giraffes cot fence flashlight picnic ac comfort
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

This place was perfect for animal lovers of all ages! Cabin was super cozy for my son and I! AC was blasting, beds cozy, showers hot and an amazing view!!! The night sounds we're fun and interesting and the breakfast was hot and great!!! Perfect views of the watering hole, the land and sunset! My parents stayed in the cabin need to ours and loved it just as much!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2155FossilRim, Marketing Associate at Foothills Safari Camp at Fossil Rim, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

We are glad we could help make this year's birthday great! Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We had such an awesome time at Foothills Safari Camp. I love to Camp and my husband does not, so this was a good compromise! We stayed in the Cheetah "tent" and found it very comfortable. We saw quite a few animals at the watering hole and surround the fence around the property.

Our "tent" had a cot for our son, but when you put it out, the room was basically one big bed, so you probably won't want to set the cot up until right before you are ready to go to sleep.

Other things to note--the water pressure is great, but as others have said, there is only enough hot water for one shower, so you either have to be quick or wait a bit before the next person goes in.

The breakfast is delicious and plentiful! As long as we kept eating, she kept bringing!

You can stop at Fossil Rim for directions to the lodge and camp. They are about 5 miles away, but the park will give you good directions to get there.

The "tent" locks ONLY from the inside, so don't bring valuables and expect to leave them in the room. The lady who checked us in said they had never had anything stolen, but she'd hate for us to be the first.

And finally, bring a lantern. We didn't have one, and we wish we had! There is some lighting around the property, but once the sun set, we wanted to play some games on the picnic table outside our "tent," and there wasn't nearly enough light for that.

I really don't have a single complaint on this place. It was so much fun and a really different experience, and it cost about the same as getting a traditional hotel in town.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank gerialexander
2155FossilRim, Marketing Associate at Foothills Safari Camp at Fossil Rim, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

We are so glad you had a great time! We have done away with calling them tent cabins and they are now just cabins since we took off the tent openings, which is why it may have seemed strange if someone had told you about tents in the past. :)

Reviewed 25 April 2017

This was our first time and we actually had 2 twin rooms in the lodge but we arrived a little early and decided to see if the cabin/tents were available. Lucky for us they were. They are a little more expensive than the lodge rooms that we had but it turned out to be perfect for 2 adults and 2 young boys age 4 and 5. We stayed in two tents with one kid and one adult in each. I think there are 7 cabins and a central glassed in communal area on 2 acres which is all enclosed by high fencing. Basically the animals are all around you. There is plenty of room for children to run however some people are there for peace and quiet which doesn't always mix well with young children around.

The beds are quite comfortable and the small enclosed shower works well. I could only find one AC plug by the toilet.

The cabin with the best view of the pond is Dama as it is at the front of the seven cabins but all cabins were really nicely situated and had a view of the pond and the animals.
Breakfast is served at 7:30 and includes eggs, pancakes, coffee, fruit, bacon and sausage. Those who are going on the 3 hour Family Tour need to eat at 7:30 because the tour starts at 8:30am and you must be packed and out of your cabin before you leave on the tour. I would highly recommend the family tour which leaves at 8:30am. You go on mostly back roads that the public doesn't have access to. With our guide we got really close to the animals and could have unlimited feed for the animals. The giraffes were our favorite because they stick their heads right into the small open air bus looking for their snacks. They have soft mouths and you feed them right out of your hand.

We did the "drive yourself" tour the day before and we had lots more fun on the family tour. Check with the Tour Center about these tours even if you are not staying at the Lodge or tents as I think they are available as well at the Fossil Rim Tour Center for the public. They are definitely more expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank zinniaqueen
2155FossilRim, Marketing Associate at Foothills Safari Camp at Fossil Rim, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Glad you had a great time! :)

Reviewed 2 September 2016

Foothills Safari Camp was a neat adventure. We were in Wolf Cabin. It was so cool! Like a tent inside but a cabin on the outside. Don't prepare to unpack. Tiny area to hang clothes. Cabin faced the pond where all the animals came to drink in the morning and evening. LOVED watching them.
Breakfast buffet had a good choice of items. Had waffles both mornings! Sat on the porch outside the breakfast area, drank our coffee and watched the animals. So relaxing.
Highly recommend the morning safari that leaves right outside your cabin. It was great!! Our tour guide was the best. We got to go to areas that if you were in your vehicle, you could not go.
If you are going to Fossil Rim, staying in Safari Camp is a must!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn F
Reviewed 17 August 2016

We stayed in the safari "tents" years ago and now that our kids are a little older, we decided to take a quick trip back. The safari camp at Fossil Rim is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds! You get the fun of camping out with the bonuses of a hotel. There are only a handful of tents so it isn't too busy. The pavilion, which is a almost fully glassed in communal building is open 24 hours and you can buy snacks and drinks on the honor system. There is also a TV in the pavilion, which you can watch whenever. We went in there late one evening and played cards and watched TV. The cabins consist of a small room, just big enough for 2 twin beds side by side, with a small walkway in the middle, which leads to the back of the tent where you have a full (toilet, shower, sink, shelving) bathroom. There are only 2 outlets in the tent so keep that in mind. It has A/C and heat, which is perfect for such a small space. The beds are fine, they provide linens and pillows which are comfortable. They even have complimentary soaps and shampoos like a hotel. Seriously, you can't beat it. So here was the downside for us this go around: We rented 2 tents since there were 2 adults and 2 kids (this was fine, neither of us wanted to sleep in a twin bed with a kid!). When it was time to go to bed, we found that one of the tents (my husbands) had pretty big ants that have claimed it as their own. They were crawling on the walls and bed. Of course, my daughter was a mess, lots of girly screaming (but I can relate) so we called the number that the girl in the lodge told us to call if we had any problems, 24 hours a day. All we had to say was "we seem to have an ant infestation, is it okay if we move to another tent?" She said, no problem, choose whichever one you want. So my hubby and daughter moved to the one on the other side of us that was not occupied and slept ant free. First thing in the morning, as we were enjoying our complimentary breakfast at the pavilion, the pest control people were there to treat the entire camp. So as far as downsides go, I can't complain! Bugs are to be expected when you're camping and in the woods. But when ants falling on you are unacceptable, Fossil Rim was quick to remedy the problem. So I can't fault them for that! We saw so many animals right outside our door, at the watering hole. It is very peaceful at the camp and the amenities are great! The tents are just perfect if what you are looking for is comfortable "camping". Just another thing that I will mention: some of the doors lock, some don't. If that is a big deal to you, you may want to check with them before being assigned a tent. I stayed in Grevy and the door had a locking pin in it. The Dama had one as well. The Oryx did not though. If you've got small children, like one of mine is, and you worry about them getting out while you sleep, you may want to confirm with them. Overall, we absolutely love it, we will be back soon!

Room Tip: Dama, Grevy and Oryx have the best views from what I could tell.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family