“Bar food or what ”

Etoile Cuisine et Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Etoile Cuisine et Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 9,024 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Post Oak Blvd.
Description: Visit Etoile Cuisine et Bar for an inviting, warm, European environment where fine French food is front and center. Chef Philippe offers a traditional and seasonal menu that changes to offer the freshest produce and ingredients available. Chef Philippe combines his native, regional fare and the idea of fresh, local ingredients with modern food concepts to create distinctive and delicious dishes.
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

This concept seems like an after thought.. Not really high quality food here... Average taste... Guess it's more of a drink place with food... Would rather spend money somewhere else...

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

I really enjoyed dinner here. The ambulance was elegant but also modern. The wait staff was very helpful and professional. One of my waiters was actually French - which I definitely look for in a French restaurant. I liked the partial open kitchen. The menu had many classic French dishes. For an appetizer, I had the lobster salad which was actually on an avocado remulade, very unique and delicious dish. My main was the Margret de canard which was spot on. I really appreciate that the orange sauce was subtle instead of overpowering. My friend got the beef tartare and the short ribs which were both amazing. What really surprised me was the avant garde deconstructed dessert options. They were innovative and delicious. I would definitely go again!

Reviewed 19 January 2018

Came in with a friend for happy hour. Small crab cakes were good ($6). Ribeye was a bit of a let down ($19). Sauted shrimp was really good ($10) but the truffle fries were the winners ($4).

The cocktails and wine we got were $12 a glass.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

You always know what you're getting when visiting Etoile Cuisine et Bar--great service and amazing French food. But its new January 2018 Charity Dinner, a four-course delight benefiting The Children's Grand Adventure, is one of the best specials I've had in 20 years of fine dining in Houston. The $65 prix fixe menu ($7 will go toward the children's charity) is truly tremendous, featuring small plates of the finest ingredients, skillfully prepared and presented with classic French techniques.

I opted for the foie gras to open, which is super-rich and offers both sweet and savory flavors. The catch of the day is a light and wonderful second course. For course #3, you can't go wrong with the roasted duck breast, which is accompanied with a polenta cake with mushrooms. I ended with the warm, dark chocolate pastilla with pistachio ice cream--which was a unique and scrumptious way to end an amazing dinner.

I'd highly recommend this charity dinner option while available.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

Three of us entertained a visiting facuty member at Etoile Cuisine et Bar several days ago. One of us, born in a small town near Lyon, France (and who had a craving for a French meal) had identified the restaurant and made the reservation. Reviewing the wine list, we noted a number of very expensive wines (the wine list is predictably heavy on wines made in France, although there were a modest number of California selections), but with some searching we selected an excellent gigondas (rhone) for $58 that pleased the group - robust, full, deep and a bit rough - just what one would expect from this appellation. For appetizers 3 of us ordered pomme frites to share. They were good, but fell short of a true French version - too thick and not quite crisp enough. The 4th person had the onion soup and raved about it. For our entre 3 of us had the veal special. The style was a veal cooked in a wonderful sauce/gravy with creamed (or mashed) potatoes and a vegatable. 4/5 stars for it. The four of us then shared 3 of the deserts (one chocolate with rasberries, one lemon tart with sorbet and the third had a pastry with pistachio ice cream). They were excellent. The waiter was attentive. The restaurant was, for a Houston restaurant, amazingly quiet despite the fact that it filled to capacity before we left. We thought the entire experience delightful and voted to return, soon.