“Will I ever find a great French restaurant in Houston?”

Etoile Cuisine et Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Etoile Cuisine et Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 8,904 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Post Oak Blvd.
Description: Visit Etoile Cuisine et Bar for an inviting, warm, European environment where fine French food is front and center. Chef Philippe offers a traditional and seasonal menu that changes to offer the freshest produce and ingredients available. Chef Philippe combines his native, regional fare and the idea of fresh, local ingredients with modern food concepts to create distinctive and delicious dishes.
Reviewed 21 August 2018

I continue to try but just be somewhat disappointed. Etoile has a nice atmosphere. Service was okay - I kind of feel like the waiter was a bit snooty. My friend had a beautiful avocado crab salad and I had onion soup and a glass of Chablis. Soup was average. Nothing was bad about my experience just wasn't blown away like I expected.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Came here for restaurant week. Upscale dining and ambience. Restaurant is located in a newly constructed plaza near Memorial
Park.

Memorable meal. I had the short ribs; my husband had the tenderloin. Tender and full of flavor.

Service was great. The restaurant was full and they didn’t miss a beat.

Étoile is on the repeat list.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

My mother-in-law once used Etoile for all of her luncheon clubs. Last night my husband and I decided to try it first time for opening of restaurant month in Houston. We tried the 3 course $45 prix fixe menu. My husband had the Salad de Chèvre Chaud, fabulous fresh greens with warm goat cheese with an almond crust, roasted beets, picked shallots plus arugula. It was just excellent and the dressing was a simple, homemade French vinaigrette. I got the beef tartare, a mound of ground beef, but it was seasoned well, and had chopped cornichons, although I would have preferred whole cornichons. My husband's main course was Plat de Cotes de Boeuf, 6 oz braised beef short ribs, falling off the bone, with summer vegetables, and mashed potatoes with an unusual but good cabernet syrup sauce. My main was a really good dover sole felt, 6 ounces,, cooked perfectly, with almonds on top, fingerling potatoes, snow peas liberally spread over fish, capers and brown butter, and Oh roasted cauliflower. Besides the fact the restaurant donates $7 to the Houston food bank during this restaurant week/month, the portions are also just perfect! Not the usual "too much food". That sole was Just yummy! Dessert for me was Ice Flottante A la Pistache, a soft meringue, with delicious caramel sauce, and a perfect amount , with pistachio custard, One of my favorite desserts in a while. And it was cold, so perfect for summer. Hubby had the Taste au Citron, which we thought would be an actual pastry taste, but great none the less. A light lemon curt, with Brittany short bread and a raspberry coulis. The wine list, an my husband has been in the wine distribution list for years, was a tad obscure. Of course we recognized quite a few, and the sommelier was very helpful, but we ended up choosing for each course a wine by the glass. I highly recommend the French Pinot Gris. We had reservations at 7:30 pm and though full, they seated us within 5 minutes, and were so solicitous...checking often if all was okay. The bread was true French rolls, butter French, and the restaurant was so pleasant, and quiet...YOU could actually talk to each other at the table! I recommend this highly

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Impressed.

French but not over the top (as like sauces).

Comfortable space and you can have a conversation even when it is packed.

Great service.

Menu is limited - maybe 10 starters and 10 entrees and a daily prix fixe menu. Large wine list.

Starters were onion soup, goat cheese salad, and their take on caprese salad. All very good. Entrees were sole (fish of the day), coq au vin, and risotto. All winners.

We will be back. Dinner for 4 with one cocktail and a decent (but inexpensive bottle) of wine was $300.

Space (decor and style) 5/5
Service 4/5
Food 4/5
Value 4/5

Note the restaurant is somewhat hard to find with ongoing construction and limited signage.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

This French restaurant/bistro is a true gem! We often lunch here for a wonderful respite from a busy day.

The sole is divine as is the pasta bolognese made with wild boar. And the desserts - tres manifique as the French would say. The profiteroles are fabulous! All the choices are wonderful!

And don’t be discouraged by all the construction at Uptown. There is a valet right in front of this lovely bistro. Reminds me of Cafe de la Paix in Paris!