“Great Lunch Spot in Museum District”
Review of Picnic

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: University Place
Reviewed 20 March 2016

We discovered this little place on our way to the MFAH and popped in for lunch. When we arrived it wasn't very busy and we were able to order and receive our lunches quickly. The soup was excellent and both sandwiches (veggie & tuna salad) were very good-- the bread is baked in house and is very well done. I think the only surprise was that my grilled veggies with goat cheese on baguette were cold. After the initial surprise-- I was quite pleased with my choice. Their iced teas are also very flavorful. You can order lunches to go-- including boxed lunches. You can also buy loaves of bread and sweetbreads too. Staff is very friendly. Several families with small children were enjoying lunch there too.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Warning! The sourdough bread here is highly addictive. In the middle of the beautiful Houston Museum District, Picnic is surrounded by live oak-lined streets and lovely old and new contemporary homes. Lots of options for coffee and tea, freshly baked goods temptingly displayed, salads, soups and sandwiches are perfect for your stay-there or take-out picnic from Picnic. Picnic tables and 2- and 4-tops give lots of seating options. The interior design is refreshing. Free WiFi (ask for code) and light-filled windows make it a restful spot to plan your afternoon or talk about the fabulous art you're seeing at MFAH or the animals at the Houston Zoo. Parking is easy in the private lot and walking in the neighborhood is enjoyable on a weather-friendly day. Picnic has been around a long time so it's nice to see regulars from the neighborhood warmly greeted and recognized and strangers like us feeling just as welcome as the longtime customers. Look for the freshly-baked goods displayed in the front window and the simply superb Picnic logo above the door.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

Nothing out of the ordinary but you can always expect quick service, great breads, and decent sandwiches. Parking is sometimes difficult.

Reviewed 10 April 2015 via mobile

My vegan girlfriend lives walking distance from picnic, and every so often we stop in for a salad or a sandwich.. the food always seems quite fresh, and I like the unpretentious decor. But, last weekend as I was finishing my turkey sandwich, a horrified look came over my girlfriend's face as she quickly wielded her knife to flick an adult cockroach off of my left shoulder... what followed was a loss of appetite. I walked over to alert the staff while my girlfriend warned the next table who quickly stomped on the bug... the staff came over and muttered "sorry about that" and went on about their business. Will I return to picnic?... unlikely.

1  Thank Edmund P
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Picnic provides fresh selections for a meal you can travel with. Nice selection of meats and condiments. Fresh breads and sides as well as great cookies and fresh fruit. Staff is friendly and anxious to please and parking is ample. Overall a nice selection for a travel lunch but nothing special.