“One of the worst restaurant experiences of my life!”
Review of Daily Review Cafe - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dunlavy
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I normally do not write neagative reviews, but this place was horrible!! It must be under new management, because it has gone WAY downhill. First off, they no longer have valet parking and they do not have a parking lot. I had to park a block and a half away and walk. The waitress was sweet, but obviously had zero experience and was extrmemly slow. She told us the specials and took our orders. My guests ordered 3 salads and I ordered "the salmon special". We waiting about 45 minutes to get our food. She brought me a porkchop with grits and green beans, not salmon. I told her that it was not what I ordered, so she took my food and disappeared for another few minutes and then returned with the manager and told me that she made a mistake and that the porkchop was the special today. The manager said, they could make me the salmon, but "it would take a while." I said forget it, just give me the porkchop. She returned with the same plate she originally presented to me. The porkchop was like a shoe....completely inedible. The grits were the kind you get out of a box for breakfast. The green beans were the frozen kind. After a while, the waitress came back and asked how everything was. I said it was not good and the porkchop was way over cooked and tough. She said sorry, walked away and returned with the bill. They did not comp anything in spite of the fact that they first brought me the wrong order and then served me an inedible meal...which was $17.00 by the way. I left hungry. This is the kind of restaurant I would expect to see on "Kitchen Nighmares." It seems that the owner woke up one morning and decided to open a restaurant even though he/she had never been in the business before. They obviously have no clue how to run a restaurant. AWFUL!!! I will not be back.

1  Thank Jeanie M

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I agree with everyone else, terrible service. Which is a shame because the food was very good. We went for a romantic dinner on a Saturday night. The waitress told me they had good availability and for us to choose for ourselves where we wanted to sit. So after seating us we sat for 10 minutes before she came back and said she was looking for menus. We were not offered water or drinks and she disappeared so quick I didn't have the chance to say can we have water. Finally we get our menu and choose a bottle of wine. The waitress said, "we don't have that!"
Ok. When we found one they DID have as she was uncorking it (still no water) she said, "since you're having red you must want meat". Was she joking? Who cares about that anymore! I said no I'm actually looking at your rainbow trout. "We don't have that!" Ok well how about this shrimp? "We don't have that!" How bout you tell me what you have?? After we got our water and food things seemed to pick up. But then, 15 min after we finish eating she shows up with our check. We should have taken that as a sign. I said, "we want dessert!" to which our waitress replied, "Oh shitze!" We order two desserts and coffee. 15 min later she shows up with coffee and runs off. It's ice cold. It took us another 15 minutes to catch her, this after me making eye contact with a waiter who proceeded to help his table and then walk right past me and not ask and not stop when I tried to flag him. By the time I got our waitress' attention I just blurted out, "This coffee's cold!" Guess what her reply was? Wait for it...."I'll just take these into the back and microwave them." WHAT? When we did finally get our desserts it was one and not the two we ordered. I'd given up by then and just ate what we had and got the hell out of there. I actually apologized to my boyfriend because I felt so bad since it was my idea to go there. I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN! There are way too many restaurants in Houston to suffer this poor performing one.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Went to the restaurant for dinner before a play. Ordered food and took 30 minutes to get our salad. Had to eat very quickly to get done in time for theater. Food was decent, but certainly not worth a 30 minute wait.

And to top it off, they couldn't get any credit cards working. Their machine was broke, so I had to use up all of my cash to rush out and barely make my theater time.

Won't be going back.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

They did not have the first 5 things I ordered. Waitress was sweet but neglectful. Food was not eatable. After 2 hours we left hungry & tired. They are obviously experiencing financial problems & will be out of business soon. Do not go here.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Out-of-the-way bistro in River Oaks. The décor is early basement - cement floor, side rooms look like storage areas.

Server was chatty but not witty. "You're quiet. You sick or something?" It took 30 minutes and repeated requests to get menus even though there was only one other table occupied. "Oh, we have a large function next door taking up all our resources. Can't you share one menu amongst the four of you?" Everything took effort. "Sorry, we don't have that tonight". Seeing from other reviews bread was available, we were never offered. Beef tenderloin was fine but at $32 pretty insubstantial. With so much competition in Houston the Daily Review will need to lift its game substantially to stay in business.

1  Thank Steve S