“Love Cafe Express!”

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Love Cafe Express, but sadly there isn't one in Cypress, so whenever we're in Bellaire or Houston we always go. In September, we went 3 times! This is an order at the counter, get your own drink, pick up your food at the counter when your buzzer goes off restaurant. My "go to" order is the Chicken and Pesto Deli Salad. They have a great complimentary bar where you can add things to it -- so I always add more cheese, capers, pickled carrots, croutons, sun dried tomatoes, and garbanzo beans (and this isn't even everything they have on the bar). My mouth always starts watering just thinking about it (I think it's the pasta pesto and dressing that makes it so good). After cutting the chicken up and mixing it all together -- this makes a great meal for my husband and I to split. If he's really hungry and orders something else, then I have half to take home for later. Either way -- yum! The only complaint is that Cafe Express has switched their soft drinks to a unique brand ... which are not Coca Cola products. Since their drinks are expensive ($2.89) and it is not something we love, we just get water now.
By the way, during our visits we also tried the shrimp and avocado salad (good, but I like the above one better), Blue Cheese Burger (very dry, would not get again), Hot Roast Beef sandwich (OK), and Turkey Sandwich (OK).

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

You place an order at the counter, find a seat, and wait for your number to be called. The menu is quite varied - and food is fresh and usually fast. It's always busy at peak times, so if you can vary your dining time slightly, it makes a difference. Pastas, salads, soups, entrees with vegetables. A great drink fountain with flavored teas and interesting sodas.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

Sit- down, full service restaurants are nice, but sometimes, you don’t have the time to spare and need something a little faster. You could go the route of fast food, but a better option is one that falls somewhere in the middle and a fine example is Café Express.

At Café Express, guests get a cafeteria style restaurant with menu options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A look at the menu reveals food categories such as soups and salads, sandwiches, appetizers, entrees, and desserts. They serve beer and wine, too, plus natural teas and soft drinks. The soft drinks and iced tea are all you can drink and this is what I usually order, so that I can go back for seconds or thirds and try several of the delicious flavors.

With Café Express, ordering takes place directly at the counter. You then sit back and wait for your food to be prepared, and then you walk to the counter to pick it up and carry it to your table. My food is usually prepared in under 10 minutes, so it is certainly faster than the wait time in a full – service restaurant. Fast food is quicker, but the food here is better and worth the short wait.

Speaking of the food, what they serve at Café Express is fresh and agreeable. I usually go for one of the sandwiches, like the Hot Roast Beef. The roast beef tastes like it was freshly prepared and I like the added giardiniera on this sandwich, along with the side of au jus, for dipping. It’s in no way a bland sandwich and the seasoning and spicy flavors shine through. I usually go with a side of fries, but they have other, healthier options as well. Vegetarians should have no problem finding food to their liking also.

I generally like sit- down restaurants best because they most often serve the best food. But for something a little faster, Café Express is a good alternative. It’s a generally quiet place to dine with good service and efficient operations overall.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Cafe Express is a fast-food place successfully strives to serve not great but pretty darned fine food. All food is cooked fresh, and you can tell that in the taste.. There is a small and quiet bar with a tv at one end. Other than the counter, the kitchen and the service bar where you can indulge with good oils and good vinegars aas well as other sauces, the rest is seating. Unlike the real fast food places, the seating is comfortable and always quiet. It's not unusual to see business conducted at a table, a teacher grading papers or planning, a group of teachers planning together, students of all ages studying or writing. I love to read when I eat alone. I'm very comfortable doing so at Cafe Express. I can concentrate and see well. And since this is close enough to the heart of the Montrose, people watching is a constant offering.

Reviewed 9 May 2017

One of the most difficult things to adjust to in Texas is the amount of salt in everything. As humid as it is, it may be a necessity for the people here. That being said it was a pleasant surprise to get grilled chicken and mushrooms without loads of salt