“Convention Overflow hotel”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #150 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 12 July 2017

My convention was at the Westin Galleria, but there were too many of us to fit, so I was transferred to the Westin Oaks. My room was large and very nice. View was ok too.
The elevator was great !!! It was quick and very safe. Free coffee in the lobby each morning was a good start to each day. Nice staff, but during peak times needed more help. Check in was only at 3 pm or later. Internet worked better in rooms than in public areas. Escalator was broken one day. Easy walk to the Westin Galleria. Free parking in the Galleria that is patrolled. Valet parking also available. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Starwood or Marriott members get free wifi
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Daisy M, Westin Experience Specialist at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Greetings Pam K,

We appreciate your high remarks on this recent experience with us! I do want to offer my sincere apologies for having to transfer hotels; I can understand how this was a hassle but feel delighted to know our convenient location awarded us your positive feedback.

We do hope we welcome you on another occasion!

Reviewed 12 July 2017

I was in Westin Oaks for 5 nights while I was in Houston. My first interaction with receptionist (an African American lady) was very unwelcoming, she was very rude and pretty racist. She gave me a very bad room initially. Only when I told her bluntly that this is not how I want you to treat an SPG member, she gave me room on SPG Floor. Was she saving those rooms for herself? I am an SPG member, I am spending 5 nights in your hotel and still you are trying to cunning? I really want management to take such concerns seriously and teach some manners to people like her.

Moving on, Room was pretty good with view. Hotel is an old construction and doesn't live well to Westin's standard.What I liked about hotel was its location. I used swimming pool once during my stay because water was not clean and there were no swimming pool facilities. I got lucky to find a towel atleast. Breakfast serving was good but quality of food was again not appreciable. I found few bakeries nearby which were serving amazing breakfast so thats how I saved my stomach from improperly cooked muffins and croissants. Housekeeping was done nicely only on last day, thats when I realized that work done previously was not so good. Also, there is no microwave in this entire hotel? Are you serious? I to-go my food and wanted to heat it up but the staff dint care to help me. So courteous!! If I need anything in my room I have to give them multiple calls before it gets delivered in my room.

Here are my rating on this hotel:

Room with view : 8/10
Housekeeping: 5/10
Swimming Pool: 1/10
Reception Staff (had interaction only 2 times): 2/10 - Receptionist should have the courtesy of explaining about hotel atleast, forget Houston :)
Breakfast: 4/10
Hotel Staff in all/ Service: 2/10

Its a average hotel and doesn't maintain standards of Westin Hotels and Resorts. I can still recommend this hotel if you are aware of above mentioned concerns :)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 July 2017

Greetings Ankur; I sincerely do apologize for your most recent experiences, our guests typically have a great stay at the hotel. I do appreciate your insights as it will allow us to circle back with the teams and address the areas of opportunity. I was pleased to read that there were several aspects of your stay that met your expectations, the Westin Oaks location to the Galleria and the abundance of shopping and dining options are indeed very convenient. I do hope we will see you back in Houston later this year as we can promise you a much more accurate reflection of our typical service levels.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I was really pleased with the Houston Westin Oaks at the Galleria. It was very conveniently located, the staff were helpful and warm, the food was great and since it was attached to the Galleria Mall, anything we needed, we could just go into the mall. The hotel is a little dated, but the rooms were very nice. Mine actually had a treadmill inside the room, so I was able to get exercise in without having to go to the gym or run around in the Houston heat.

Room Tip: I didn't pay extra for the in room treadmill, but it was a nice luxury to have
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Daisy M, Westin Experience Specialist at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Greetings Ckethley,

I appreciate such kind remarks about this recent stay with us! The convenience of our location truly serves our guests well and I am delighted to know the added treadmill in the room elevated your experience. During the summer time, it is convenient to have all your needs within the confinement of the hotel and avoid the Houston heat.

It may interest you to know we will undergo renovations in the next few months; we would be thrilled to welcome you back!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

We stay here annually for dance conventions. It's clean and well maintained. We usually have an uneventful stay.

However, this year was different. My primary concern is getting my luggage back. The bellman and staff lost our luggage due to mishandling and mislabeling. After confirming our luggage receipts multiple times to multiple staff members, a ton of frustration, I had to go identify and retrieve each piece myself and prove my ownership by content verification. Crazy!

I won't ever trust my luggage there again after this experience.

It's hard to justify the cost per night with such poor service.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Daisy M, Westin Experience Specialist at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Greetings Ccmcgol,

Thank you for staying with us continuously for the dance conventions and providing your insight on this recent stay with us.

As I read your feedback, it truly is disappointing to know there was this mishandling of your personal belongings. This certainly does not reflect the service that we have proudly built with loyal guests as yourself. Being a major arrival group for our property, it is apparent there were human errors made on this occasion and I sincerely apologize.

I would be grateful to welcome you once again in the next convention.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I was there for a friends birthday and we stayed overnight. It was on Easter Sunday. We had a Fantastic Meal at a restaurant walking distance and after shopping until we dropped, we landed in a nice comfortable bed. Thanks for the wonderful service.

Room Tip: It's inside the Galleria. Plenty of shopping and excellent restaurants. You can stay out of the...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Greetings Stanley M,

What a wonderful weekend this must have been! Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your friend’s birthday. Being in such a convenient location, it is rewarding to know this was used to its full advantage.

We hope to welcome you on another occasion and keep in mind we will begin renovations later on this year. It will be a wonderful change!