“Disappointed”

Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Food was better at the old Big Pines Lodge. Hushpuppies greasy and burnt (asked for another, but same), coleslaw watery, shrimp small and tasteless, chicken fried steak/(chicken) ok, onion rings...not cooked enough (raw like). Decor beautiful and interesting…..but they need a good cook or cooks to carry the place...at this point not going back. very disappointed (Oct.28, 2011).

3  Thank jask7108
There are newer reviews for Big Pines Lodge

Reviewed 17 October 2011

After waiting so long for it to reopen, we were very excited to be returning. Our family has been eating at Big Pines since the 50's. Well, it was absolutely awful. They wouldn't let us sit outside because they didn't have enough wait staff. They were not very busy, but it still took 20 minutes to even get drinks. The hush puppies tasted like they had been fried in old grease. I don't eat fish, so I ordered chicken fried chicken. I got chicken fried steak, which is shown in the menu as hand battered, but I have worked in enough restaurants to know that this piece of steak ??? came straight from a food service box. The fillets were more like slabs than fillets and were very overcooked and no taste, according to my sister. The whole catfish were overcooked and looked more like bait fish than whole catfish. My dad who will eat just about anything, hated it. When he complains then it is bad. The only good thing about the place was the free ice cream. I was the worst experience I have had in years, and we will not be returning.

3  Thank tldoss2
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We were there on Oct 13, 2011. We were early, 5:15pm, so we were seated quickly. The hushpuppies and slaw were outstanding. I can't eat fish, the steaks were very good. The prices are quite reasonable. About 20 diners were seated when we got there. A group of a dozen showed up soon after, then a busload of about 40, which I was told arrived 45 minutes before they were expected. The crew recovered nicely. The night before there were at least 50 cars in the parking lot, so they are doing something right.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

I won't waste space reiterating the horrible service at the newly reopened Big Pines Lodge, as it was identical to all previous post. However, I feel the need to express my concern for the cold "catfish" we are being served. The fish I was given had the same color texture and taste as a box of frozen fish sticks. Is it possible they could be using a frozen cod filet or something similar instead of fresh catfish due to the rising prices this year? We won't be going back, just curious if anyone else had the same thought.

3  Thank Laurenkdert
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Imagine our excitement knowing that Big Pine Lodge was being rebuilt and couldn't wait for it to re-open. After going there tonight we will not be going back. We waited a hour to be seated and then another 1 to 1-1/2 before we got our food. We should have left but we gave them the benefit since they have only been open a week. Our waitress let us know that the kitchen were having problems with their equipment that a pump didnt work to remove the oil so they had to shut one of the cookers down. Once we got our food the fillets werent hot and not even cooked all the way. The food quality has gone down in size too. The fillets they brought us looked more like bait than our actual dinner. The baked potatoes were about the size of a dinner roll and they werent hot either. After we had enough we got up and left and as you walk out the door we were greeted with the smell of sewage & garbage. Their septic system and trash bins are right outside the front door. The only positive thing is that their hush-puppies and coleslaw are still great but not worth us driving a hour to eat there again.

5  Thank AlanAN70