“mid-afternoon visit”

Bakkhus taverna
Ranked #9 of 84 Restaurants in Kemah
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: near the boardwalk of Kemah
Reviewed 12 March 2017

My husband and I visited mid-afternoon as we don't like to go during meal rush times with our small kids. In terms of service:
We got there around 2:45 and it took a while for the waitress to come to our table. She came to our table a few minutes before 3. I asked if we could still order the lunch specials and she said yes; however, when we got the bill it had the dinner prices on it. If it didn't take almost 15 minutes to take our order this wouldn't have been the case, considering there was only 1 other party in the restaurant at the time. It probably wouldn't have bothered me if she had told me instead of saying yes, then giving the bill with a difference price.
In terms of food (and service too):
We ordered the spanakopita/tiropita appetizer. I preferred the tiropita. Having spent a semester in Greece I am pretty sure these are from the freezer and not home-made, but they were still tasty. They were served approximately 1 minute before our dinner though. We both ordered the gyro burrito for our meal. It has a lot of meat! Definitely a good portion. My husband loved it. I thought it was good, not amazing, but good. The parmesan fries were tasty as well. I would probably try it again.

1  Thank Katie F

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Dreadful tasting food, we had the Chicken and Avocado.....horrid texture and I nearly sent back but actually there was nothing wrong with it....apart from the taste.....they didn't have the wine we wanted, they brought the mains 1/2 way through eating the starter, the music was heavy US rock, no problem in a bar with a cold beer, not what you want when going out for a Greek meal with your partner. Avoid.

1  Thank AMGAMG58
Reviewed 1 December 2016

I went there expecting to enjoy great tasting mediterranean food and was sorely disappointed. The menu was very limited in choices, and the dolmandes(grape leaves)were awful. The decor was cheesy as well. Service was minimal and not that friendly despite us being the only ones in the dining room!

1  Thank Billy G
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We were staying at the Kemah Boardwalk and decided to walk in to the older part.. its lovely to walk around in the evening, we saw the Bakkhus taverna and as we both love greek food decided to stop for dinner.. the Tzatziki was really good, moussaka very authentic in flavour and the Parmesan Fries were delicious.. loved the elderflower Margarita.. all in all a lovely evening sat outside on the deck area with good food, good service and reasonable priced..would recommend to try..

Reviewed 15 November 2016

great nightly specials that aren't greek, great greek appetizers though and the gyros rock. Full bar