“Some problems but the food was good”

Rockfish Seafood Grill
Ranked #58 of 625 Restaurants in Lubbock
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 December 2017

We've eaten here before and had no problem. I expect it was the crowding with the Christmas rush that provided a few mishaps this time.
We ordered an appetizer plate. The calamari was cooked just right. The three cheese spinach dip was excellent, and the volcano shrimp surprised me. I dreaded the thought that flames would shoot out of both of my ears with the first bite, but I found the shrimp to be reasonable spiced, not burn off eyebrows prior to entering mouth hot.
My wife ordered softshell crab. She loves softshell crab and this was the only place in Lubbock where we found them on the menu. Too bad we found it on our last day here (I graduate from law school today).
Her softshell crab was a little overcooked. But she enjoyed the coleslaw. The crispy fries I will describe later.
I ordered the triple combo - blackened catfish, fried shrimp and fried oysters (I hate oysters but my wife loves them). There was a miscommunication between the waitress (not your fault CC) and the cook. They misread the ticket as a special, not the combo. It happens, especially with the Christmas rush. The manager was quick to correct it, so we weren't too put out.
The catfish was excellent. Blackened without too much blackening seasoning (I've had it elsewhere so seasoned I couldn't eat it). The shrimp were just right and my wife said the oysters were cooked perfectly too.
Now for the fries. I like crispy fries. The menu said crispy fries. Sigh.
The fries sucked. Oh, sorry, I should be politically correct. They were like a vacuum. Limp, barely cooked,elongated pieces of potato.
I would give this restaurant a 4.25 to 4.5 but the ratings want a whole number.

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Service was great and so was our server but the kitchen is terribly slow. I ordered Ahi tuna raw and after the long wait arrived cooked. Server was extremely nice and brought out another but it was seared because fillet was obviously frozen, I could not eat it. I ordered grilled Brussels sprouts as a side, burnt to a crisp. What a wreck of a meal at $16.00. Catfish platter was good. Cajun pasta was ordered in our party as well and it was good.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Not very good... Fish was over battered and coleslaw was gross. Not worth the price on the menu... Service not much better.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We were recommended to try this place from a nearby hotel because they were out of Salmon.
We ordered the salmon cakes, crab bisque, and stone crab claws. Wow! They were all very delicious, hot and fresh. Our kids enjoyed the pasta with Alfredo and the side of applesauce.

We would love to go back next time we are in the area. Very good!

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Read the reviews and decided to give this place a try anyway. In a word, Outstanding! From the service to the food. Had the grilled shrimp dinner and house salad. Th house salad is probably one of the best I've had. Different types of greens with cranberries and small pieces of green apple. The grilled shrimp are perfect. Hush puppies were good with a hint of spice. And the tarter sauce is homemade. Give it a try. Highly recommended.

Been to Rockfish Seafood Grill? Share your experiences!