“Good Meal But Pricey”
Review of The Funky Door

The Funky Door
Reserve with OpenTable
The Funky Door is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 631 Restaurants in Lubbock
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Frankford
Description: The atmosphere is beautiful and intriguing at the same time - splashes of unique colors and art engulf the interior to bring the patrons into a surrounding unlike any other. Our menu is unique in almost every way and we strive to surprise every customer on what their palette might enjoy while trying their next glass of wine. Our knowledgeable staff is always available for anyone with questions about wine typologies or even to just talk "shop" about our wine selection. One of the most unique experiences we offer to our guest is the option to use our self-serve Italian made Enomatics. We offer a selection of 48 wines on these tasting machines that can be dispensed at the correct temperature directly to customers through the use of a microchip card. Every wine on the system can be dispensed in 1.5oz, 3oz, or 6oz pours - giving our guests the chance to taste as many wines as they like without having to look at a single menu. Our goal is to help everyone experience the various types of wine from around the world and to never make anyone feel that you have to have a degree in enology to enjoy a great glass of wine.
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Overall a good meal, well cooked steak, and good cocktails. Me and my wife’s steaks were good, but my friends pasta for as much as it cost was WAY small portions. Drinks are $8 or more and steaks start around $34. Good place for couples but expect a high priced ticket.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

I came here with a friend after a movie night.

We ordered the Funky Figs: black mission figs with blue cheese wrapped in prosciutto topped with red pepper jelly on a bed of greens, and the Calamari Corsica: golden fried calamari with artichoke hearts, red onions and banana peppers served with a side of garlic aoili. It's all so yummy. I was kind of nervous about the red pepper jelly for the figs but it was delicious. My friend has never had figs and she really liked them. The calamari was nice and light, with the artichoke hearts being slightly tangy and spicy.

We also ordered the dessert fondue, which was melted chocolate served with pieces of angel food cake and graham crackers to dip in it. It was ok, I'm not big on dessert fondue so to me it was just ok.

We also had glasses of Stella Rosso, a sweet red wine. I love the Stella brand, you can never go wrong with it.
I had a glass of the Chianti Verrazzano and was disappointed. I toured the vineyard when I studied abroad and was looking forward to a glass but this bottle seemed...off. I understand it's one extreme to the next, from a sweet to a dry, but this glass did not taste like I remembered. It was just...old? Sour? Either way i was sad about it.

Overall the meal was good and I will definitely be back!

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Wonderful place in Lubbock..especially if you are a wine drinker... Best place to feel like you are not in Lubbock

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Disappointing evening where we were celebrating my daughters 50th birthday. Had a group of 9 with reservations but still had to wait 1 hour and 5 minutes from making our dinner order until it was served - then 2 of the people in our group didn't even receive their meal. They quickly went to the kitchen and poured out the bottom of the pan for a pasta meal that was uneatable. The other meal finally came as the other people in the group were finishing. Never again.
Though cool architecture the building design leaves lot to be desired if you are upstairs - the wait staff and the servers must climb up and down the stairs continually to provide you with their service.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Went here on the recommendation of some friends.

Steak Benedict was wonderful and well prepared and came with Asparagus.

Music was great and loved the atmosphere. Will definitely come back next time I am in Lubbock

Been to The Funky Door? Share your experiences!