“Uptown Affair in D-town Lubbock!”
Review of West Table

West Table
Ranked #30 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Found this place using yelp reviews. Invited family on a Sunday evening. We were introduced to a $25 fixed price menu. Wasn't what I expected but a good idea to keep a short menu. Limit options. Each item should shine!

Of the three entree options, our party of 4 tried them all (Fried chicken with mashed potatoes, briney-smoked pork chops, and fish with jambalaya). We enjoyed the food and the place. Very historic. Retains the history with exposed concrete beams but has a modern, trendy feel. (Like eating in a loft.)

A few minor comments. There's no salt or pepper on the table. It's good so long as your taste buds match the kitchen staff's saltiness level. Our group was not a solid match. Appetizers (fried green tomatoes and fried okra) were not salty enough for me. My 91-year old grandma thought the pork chops were too salty. Another person thought the salt was spread unevenly over the fried chicken. Some parts were too salty. Same for the yummy mashed potatoes. I ate the fish. Although I like salt, it was on the heavy side. Not well-balanced with other spices.

If salt is not your thing, I suggest asking the kitchen to go light on the salt. Ask for some of your own salt and pepper to season your food. Of course, this one night could be an anomaly. Depends on who's taste buds are cooking!

Suggest expanding the wine list to include red dessert wines.

We'll be back!

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

I came to Lubbock with my husband who is here on business. I wanted to find a place, unique to Lubbock, for lunch. I found West Table on Yelp & was not disappointed. I had the wedge salad and NOLA Shrimp & Grits. I've never had BBQ Shrimp served with grits & I'm not usually a grits fan but these were quite good. The NOLA Shrimp are not traditional NOLA BBQ Shrimp (I've had them many places in New Orleans) but they were absolutely delicious! The wedge salad was exactly what a wedge salad should be. The service was great; Kailee took great care of me. Ambiance was not what I expected to find in Lubbock. Very nice modern-industrial vibe. I would recommend to anyone looking for a great meal in a lovely atmosphere!

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

The work is being put in and it shows. Third time's the charm for us. From pretentious new restaurant to a really good meal. I believe that the team figured out that we do have discriminating tastes here and just because you are bringing "Big City" concept here doesn't mean it will be automatically successful. Bravo for the hard work team West Table. Now change the chairs and save our backs, please.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

This is an exceptional restaurant. All the dishes served were of very high quality. We were a large party and everyone in the party came home fully satisfied - with the quantity, quality and service. Everything from appetizers to entrees to desserts was excellent; we will keep coming to West Table!

It is the perfect place for a special occasion, or bringing a visitor or important guest from outside. This place makes a statement: we are no longer the the rural NW Texas. We are at the West's Best!

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I was appalled with my first visit to West Table. I have been looking forward to dining at this place, which was highly recommended by colleagues and Lubbock elites. My collaborator and I were simply interested in getting some cocktails and some small plates prior to the ballet. We arrived at the restaurant at 5:50p without any reservation since we both thought we could simply sit down anywhere since it is before 6p. The place was rather bare: two couples were in the main dining area; four people in the bar area (2 ladies and 2 gents). The hostess, well she was not amicable, not accommodative at all and she needs to go back to charm school and be educated. She had to consult the main bartender to figure out where to seat us. Please note that the place has loads of table open. So my collaborator said "we can sit at the bar or anywhere." The hostess looked confused and had to double-check the head bartender, again. This is not rocket science to me! There are open tables!!! So she ended up guiding us at one of the lobby tables. At this point, I am still rather positive even though it took her 10-15minutes to figure out where to sit us. Eventually, we sat down and ordered a couple of glasses of wine. The main bartender, well, he seemed rather annoyed by this situation. I immediately sensed his negative energy. To me, he needs to put his act together and act professionally. This is West Table and it is considered by many Lubbock elites as the best restaurant in the area! Moving on, our glasses of wine were served and the Tempranillo was disgustingly acidic and smelled like some sweaty socks. Since my collaborator is a lovely gentleman, he did not want to say anything. Well, having worked at wineries and in the food industry in California, this was not an acceptable practice to me. Our server, the main bartender, did not pay attention to us at all when we got the wine. He did not even check up on us to find out if the wine was tolerable. Serendipitously, “Cousin”
/one of the servers – I think he said his name is “Cousin” – an amicable Latino man helped us out with our wine. He recommended a couple of things to sample and I eventually decided on the malbec. At this time, I kept my cool since someone was at least cognizant of their bad service. To add on this terrible service, Mr. Main Bartender served and placed our utensils upside down: he had the fork pointing towards us rather than away. This was careless and does not abide by the server etiquette in the food industry. This is West Table and it is considered by many Lubbock elites as the best restaurant in the area. Whether or not I was dining in or simply having cocktails, this service is unacceptable to me! I am extremely disappointed with the hostess, the general service, wine service and etiquette of this establishment and I will not recommend nor come back to this place!

2  Thank PeaceINdance

Been to West Table? Share your experiences!