“Great service and great views”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gruene River Inn

Gruene River Inn
Ranked #5 of 17 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Great service and great views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently and had a great time. The hotel sits on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, and as others have noted, the view from your room is indeed breathtaking, especially at night. The river winds along below you, and the green hills roll away to the distance. You and/or the kids can also go down to the river and go swimming if you like. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, and the overall feel of the place is easy-going and relaxed. Breakfast is available every morning in the lobby. The highlight was the breakfast tacos, but fruit, cereal, muffins, etc mean every taste is accommodated. One thing we loved was that there were two different home-made cakes available all the time--"help yourself." That was such a nice touch and it made us feel at home. Okay, the rooms are a little on the small side--the big king bed takes up most of it. But you're going to be out on your private patio anyway, so no matter. The bathroom by contrast is surprisingly big, with a big deep jacuzzi tub--an unexpected benefit. In fact the only thing we didn't like was the train noise. The trains that pass a few miles away blow their horns at intersections during the night. Since you're up so high that sound carries loud and clear to the room. It didn't really bother me too much, but my wife was less sanguine about it. Overall though we loved this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: They all face the river, so you can't go wrong with any of them. There aren't any elevators...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChasG63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

My girlfriend and I have stayed in several places in the New Braunsfels/Gruene area and the Gruene River Inn was by far and away our favorite. The property is newer, very clean and has spectactular views from every room. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. This is a B&B, but its more like a cozy inn. You have plenty of privacy and the hosts are sure to provide much needed ice, snacks, and a full breakfast every morning. It is built into the hillside over looking the river and there is actually a path right down to the riverbank where you can sit by and watch the tubers go by or grab a tube and jump in yourself. It is only a short walk to all of the best restuarants and shops Gruene has to offer and is very close to tubing and other recreation.

We stayed over Memorial Day weekend and it was priced extremely reasonable for a holiday weekend, especially considering the prime location and that breakfast is included. We can't say enough good things about it this place. We will never stay anywhere else. ..

Absolutely perfect for a romantic getaway or fun weekend of play on the river!

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms are the best
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne_from_HTX
Dahlonega, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms when we were in New Braunfels and fell in love with this place. We travel most of the year so having a place where we felt at home was wonderful. I sat on the balcony and watched the tubers on the river below. There is simply not a better view in town.

We got a chance to see several of the rooms and they are all decorated differently with antique beds but they all have these amazing DEEP tubs. I hate having a big tub but no hot water but that was not the case here! I was able to fill the tub up and think I stayed in there for over an hour.

The owners are delightful and very responsive to our needs. We brought our bikes and were able to ride straight from the inn.

We loved it so much that we are staying there again this month on a trip to the area for business.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank PaigeMitts
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

My husband & I try to stay ther at least once a month just to get away and relax. I don't know if I like staying there more in the winter or the summer. In the winter it feels so cozy and in the summer it's so nice watching everyone float the river from the awsome view off the balconey. One of our favorites is the jacuzzi tubs, they r so big me & my partner, who is 6'4, fit comfortable. Everything is so clean & decorated so beautiful expecially during Christmas. What I have noticed staying there so often is that each room has it's own theme and wonderful scent. I love when I climb into bed it just feels so clean and cozy and there are always extra soft pillows. Each room even has its own little gas fire place for winter and own thermostat. The next great thing is the food! If you want a late night snack they have popcorn, homemade cakes, fruit, crackers, peanuts and much more, or any kind of bevarages, waters,sodas or beer you can help yourself at anytime, then in the morning, this is one problem...there are so many great things to choose from it's hard to decide what to eat. All kinds of tacos, waffles, cereals, oatmeals, bagels and so much more. At last all workers there are the kindest and will make sure you have everything you need to better your stay. Can't wait till my next Relaxing Getaway:)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

My husband and I live close by in San Marcos but when we want a peaceful relaxing weekend we enjoy staying at the Gruene River Inn. The people working at the desk are very accommodating and go out of their way to make sure your needs are met. My husband and I love sitting out on the deck overlooking the river. Or taking walks down to the river and fish. The jetted tubs are very big plenty of room for two. And there is always snacks in the lobby if you get an urge for a midnight snack, the breakfast consists of all kinds of pastries, fruit and delicious tacos and waffles. I recommend!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple