“The best out of 3”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Pasadena
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed 17 August 2015

I stayed at two motel hell's until I got to this piece of heaven. There was more than enough room. Staff were pleasant and helpful. I had an incident with vending machine and they were prompt and helpful.

Room Tip: It's outside disguises the comfortable; welcoming inside
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2015

I checked in around 5:00pm 8 Aug and the lady behind the counter was very good. She helped with any questions I had, treated me great, and had a very professional attitude and a can do attitude. She made the stay that much better. Rooms were great, truly enjoyed me stay.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

Jenna at the front desk is extremely rude I called for availability and right off the back the rudeness started how can la Quinta employ people like her Don't u guys do interviews or check on your employees. Extremely disappointed I will take my business elsewhere

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
lq0825, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Dear Angel,

Thanks for bring up the customer service problems during your stay. We use your feedback to coach our staff and become better as we grow. I appreciate you taking the time out to leave feedback for me.

Reviewed 3 June 2015

On Friday May 22, 2015 somewhere between approximately 3:30-4:00pm I went in to the Pasadena LA Quinta location located at 3490 East Sam Houston Pkwy South, Pasadena, Texas 77505 to check in. Jenna was working the front desk at the time, and was on the phone with a customer. I heard her giving details on the rooms, fitness and business center etc and could tell it was going to take a few minutes. Since I’ve been having problems with a very painful bad ankle, I decided to sit down and wait until she was finished. When she finished I walked up to the counter, and she thanked me for my patience and we proceeded with the check in. She had me sign 2 documents. First was the document where you initial for the room charge, initial the no smoking policy, and then sign the bottom. The second was a basic old style computer printout that contained some of my credit card info etc. She said that one was authorizing them to charge it to that card. When we were done she handed me my room key and told me breakfast was from 6-9. I asked if there was anything else and she said no, so I went back out to my car where my husband was waiting with the dogs. When I got back to the car I got in and he got in to get a cart to load up our stuff. Since it was close to 90deg, one of us stayed in the car with the AC running until the room was ready to take the dogs in so they wouldn’t overheat. He loaded the cart and went in to ready the room. When he came back in he said “you can go in and set up the dogs tents, it’s going to be a little while until we go in, but I think it’s ok if you get that set up a while” I said “why? What’s wrong?” He said “when I went to put stuff in the fridge the door fell off, I went up front to let the lady know and she said we would have to wait until she could get someone to repair it” I said “so we can’t go in and wait?” he said “I guess not, she made it sound like maintenance would need to be able to get in there and we would have to wait out here until they’re done” I said “ok”. I went inside and set up the dog tents and finished taking the stuff off the cart and put it on the chair just inside the door. I pushed the cart back out front by the main doors where they’re stored. Jenna was on the phone discussing reservations with another customer, so I didn’t bother to stop since she was busy. Besides, I had assumed she had contacted maintenance and we were waiting on them. I went back out and Ted and I sat in the car for a spell. We started to talk about that she may not know we were outside, and decided maybe we should check in. I wasn’t sure at this point how long it had been, but it seemed it had been a while. When I went back in, Jenna was again on the phone, but she finished quickly. I don’t recall sitting during this time. When she got off she asked “can I help you?” I said “I’m just checking the status of our room?” She seemed confused for a second so I said “We were waiting for them to fix the fridge?” She said “oh that, I haven’t gotten around to that yet” I said “oh, ok. Well do you have an approximate time frame so we know what we’re going to do about dinner and such? We’re getting kind of hungry and..” She kind of cut me off and said “I haven’t found anyone to help me move it, can your husband move it for me?” I said “I’m not really sure, he’s disabled and I think that’s probably beyond his limits, so I doubt it” She seemed to get upset at this point. She stuck her left arm out and grabbed her upper arm with her right hand and said “well I have these weak little lady arms, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do about it” She walked around the counter and said “you know I haven’t been sitting around doing nothing for the last hour, I’ve been working!” I said “ok, well we were just asking because we’re getting hungry since we haven’t eaten yet” She said “well I don’t know what I’m supposed to do about it” I said “ I thought maintenance was coming?” She said “they’ve already left for the day, so I guess I’ll just get a dolly and try to move it myself since neither of you will help me” I told her “ Well I have a really bad back and my husband is disabled, you have lawn guys out front working, maybe one of them can help you?” She looks out the door where one is standing and snaps “they’re with a different company! They don’t work for us! So no they can’t help, and since you won’t help either I’ll find a way to do it myself!” She starts down the hallway and I follow her. She starts to open a door that says “storage” on it. As she turns to open the door she sees me there and pulls it shut again and this time yells at me “I’m handling it!! You don’t have to follow me around!!!! You can go sit down somewhere and I’ll get to it!!” I said “well I thought you were going to go in to the room, and since some of our stuff is already in there I’d like to be present when people go in” She snaps “fine!”. She opens the door, but only partially. She grabs a hand truck/dolly from right inside the door without actually going inside and slams it out through the door. She walks down the hallway to a room that was across the hallway and a few doors down from ours and goes inside. (Later I was talking with my friends outside their room and the room they went in I believe is the same one she was attempting to pull the fridge from… It was Joan and Norm Williams and I believe they were in room 121, and I believe that was the room she entered. I didn’t know it was theirs at the time). When she comes out of the room quickly after, she’s clearly irritated and says “it’s too heavy for me to pick up, I don’t know what to tell you” Since she didn’t want us in the room without it being fixed I said “Well I kind of looked at it earlier. It has a little screw adjustment on the bottom, I tried to tighten it and see if the door would go on. But the top pin seemed to short. Maybe you can look at it and see if you can see if its missing a part or something?” she said “fine, I’ll look” We go inside and I show her where the adjustment is, she says “yea, I see that” then she wiggles the part that holds that piece up and down and says “this part is clearly broken, I can’t do anything about that.. I’ll just have to see if I can find you another room” I said “man, I would really hate to have to move all our stuff to another room after all this time..” She said ‘well there’s nothing I can do about that!” She walked out of the room. I stood there for a minute unsure of what to do. She had already yelled at me in the hallway, so I wasn’t sure how to proceed. I thought for a minute before I left and decided that she had said she was going to look for another room, so I was supposed to follow her out front to get it. When I get out front she sees me and aggressively snaps “yes ma’am?!?!” I said “you said you were going to look for another room, so I thought you wanted me to follow you?” She moans, looks around and picks up a stack of papers that were combined with room keys. She takes one from the bottom of the stack, looks at it and Snaps “not that one!!” Flips through 3 or 4 more and snaps “not them either!!!” and quickly flips the rest and slams the stack back in the basket and snaps “nope!! Not any of those!! I don’t know what to tell you!! Figure something out!!!!” so I say “ok, well can we stay in there if I can find a way to rig it back on temporarily?” she says “sure!! Do whatever you want!! cause I don’t know what to tell you!!!” I said “ok, but it’s ok for us to stay in there and we won’t get charged for it, right?” she says “yea, sure. Whatever..” So I go back in and fiddle around with it and kind of wedge the door in place by pushing it back inside the compartment it was housed in. It held as long as you didn’t pull on it. I went out and told ted I rigged it up, so we were allowed to stay in the room. We unloaded the dogs and went into the room for a few minutes. Got the dogs settled in their crates and fed so they could rest while we were gone and we left to go have dinner at Applebee’s right around the corner. We went back to the room. It was after 7:30 at this point. I was tired and decided to walk the dogs so I could relax and before the storm hit. On one of my trips out (I walk the dogs individually) I ran into friends in the hallway. We talked for quite some time until we all agreed we needed to go take care of the dogs so we could relax. I took my dog out and went back to the room. I was barely in there and putting my dog up when I thought I heard the phone ringing in the bedroom area. Ted was in there so I called over “ted is the phone ringing?” I think he had fallen asleep as he hadn’t seemed to hear it and was a little disoriented at first” I heard him answer it and continued on with getting things ready to go to bed. I was in the living room area (it was a suite). At some point I hear him giving our address “*1* Sh*** G**** ln, A*K***, TX *****” and I say ‘what are you doing?” He doesn’t respond, but I hear him repeating our address and then giving my phone number. SO I say louder “ted, what’s going on?!?” He said “what credit card did you pay with?” I told him the last 4 digits not thinking he was going to say much and figuring they shouldn’t need more than that for verification. He says “was it a master card or visa?” I said “I don’t know it was (and I repeat the last 4) he says “yea, but they need to know if it’s a MasterCard or visa” I said “why do they need to know that??” he said “it’s the manager and he said that the computers crashed and they need to re-enter everyone’s info” I said “he? It’s a girl working?” He said “no, this is the general manager” I said “why would he be calling?” he said “I don’t know, maybe he came in because they were having problems” I asked “if we were going to get charged twice?” He said “he said no, since the computers crashed you weren’t charged, so you’ll only get charged once” I said “well they should still have the card info on file” He said “he told me all that info was deleted in the crash” (we had actually been through a situation like that at an LQ years ago where there was a problem and they locked our door out, when we went up front to tell them our key wasn’t working they said they had a problem when they tried to run our card overnight and needed to run our card again physically, so it seemed legit since its happened before). I told him “I don’t have it with me, my wallet is still in the car” I hear him change tone a bit and say “no, I’m really not comfortable giving you my credit card info over the phone, we’ll just come to the lobby” a pause and then he says “no, that’s ok, we’ll just come to the lobby” I asked ted to come with me. We walk out the back entrance and go to our car, I get my wallet and we walk up to the front doors.. At which point I see no ones in the lobby. I say to ted “if their computers crashed, why is no one here but us? No ones in there? That seems odd” He replies “yea, that IS kind of strange” as soon as we walk through the doors, before we get to the counter he says to Jenna “are you having problems with your computer?” She says “no, why?” he says “someone called my room saying your computer crashed…” She cut him off and said “that’s a scam” he said “huh?” she said you didn’t give him info right?” he said “no, why?” she said someone’s been calling several rooms every night and asking for credit card info” then she said “I’ll take down your info” he said “wait…why? What’s going on? You mean to tell me this person is calling rooms every night? Why aren’t you telling you’re customers?” she points to the elevated counter to a 3x4 sheet of paper with very fine print (that I never did get to read) and says “it’s right there” he said “that’s near impossible to see.. Why wouldn’t you put up a big sign or tell people??” she said “I do, I tell everyone at check in” I said “you didn’t tell me?” she said “yes I did, I tell everyone” I said “no you didn’t, or we wouldn’t have given him as much info as we did, nor would we have come down here with our credit card to pay again” Ted said “why not just put a big sign right here on the counter like this one?” She said it’s not La Quintas responsibility to notify you of anything!!” he said “well maybe not, but its good customer service to do so if you know there’s a scam going on” He said “can’t you shut down the calls at the switchboard or something?” she said “no, we have no way of doing that or tracing any of the calls to block them or anything, and besides you should be smart enough to not give out your info” The “smart enough” comment did it for me, and I said to ted “you know, she’s been rude and nasty ever since I told her you couldn’t help move that fridge” and he says “I know, you’re right” so he looks at her and says “this really has been a bad experience from the start, I think with everything that’s been going on, and with this credit card scam I’d like to talk to the manager” She said “If you’re so unhappy you’re free to go to another hotel” He said “no, I don’t want to go to another hotel, I’d like to speak to the manager. She said “no, you’re not talking to the manager and you can get your stuff and get out of my hotel” He said “all I want to do is speak to the manager, can I speak to the manager???” she said “you’re not talking to anyone! And if you don’t vacate the premises immediately I’m calling the police!!” He said “because I want to talk to the manager??” she said “I told you, you’re not talking to him!!!” I said “you’re going to call the police because we asked for a manager??” and she said “yes!! No get out!!!” I said to ted “don’t interact with her anymore, let’s go back to the room and call the LQ line and figure this out…”this was at 8:39pm, I had checked my watch to see what we were going to do. I think when I said that, this is what made her lock out my room as when I got back to go inside the room key wouldn’t work.. I tried turning it, holding it, moving it up and down etc… we were locked out. We had been in and out of that room dozens of times and the keys worked fine. She locked us out. I called down to ted in a bit of a panic at this point “ted she locked us out!! The dogs are in there!! My car keys are in there!! Holy crap, she locked all our stuff in the room!!” I went back out front and said “you locked us out! All our stuff is in there! We need to get our stuff!!” She ignored me and was on her cell phone talking.. I said “who’s she talking to?!?” Ted said “I don’t know, I think she called the police” I said “oh my God, all this because we wanted to talk to a manger?!? Oh my God, my dogs are in the room!! And you locked us out!!” Ted said to me “come on, the police are on their way… we’ll wait for them out front” We went out front and I started to put my wallet back in my car, but decided to keep it in case the police wanted my ID…. I locked my car back up and walked back to the front just as the police pulled up. They walked up and shook Teds hand and asked if he was the one that called them. He said “no, the lady inside did” We recount our story. They say “ok, we’re going to go in and talk to her, but we want you to know that state law states that she can have you removed and she doesn’t even have to have a reason to do so.” I said “even though its only because we asked for a manger or the fact that it goes back to her being mad that my husband is disabled and couldn’t move a fridge when she asked him to” They said “unfortunately yes, she can say you have to leave and never tell us why. I think it’s horrible what’s she’s doing to you, and I don’t like it either… and I’m very sorry… but yes, the law says if she says you have to leave then you have to leave… talk to the manager about what happened.” I said “we can’t, she won’t give us his info and says we’re not allowed to talk to him” he said “let me see what I can find out for you and I’ll be right back” When they come back out they have a key card… they say “she tried to argue with us, but we told her ‘you can’t tell them they have to leave and keep their property locked up.. you have to let them in the room to get their stuff” he then handed us a business card and said “she didn’t want to give me the managers info, but I convinced her.. So this is her card. You can call and talk to her about what happened” we mentioned something about being charged and he said “uh, no… she’s the one making you leave, so she can’t charge you” I said “really? Cause it would suck to pay for 2 hotels after being kicked out in the rain” He said “I’ll be right back” He went back inside. When he came back out he said “she tried to say you agreed to pay and I told her she can’t charge you when she was the one that made you leave, and she tried to argue it but I told her she can’t do that and made her print out these papers saying you’re not being charged..” I was so very thankful!! They kept apologizing just repeating how sorry they were and how horrible this situation was… they walked us to our room and asked if we needed anything else.. I was saying something like “I can’t believe she can kick us out in the rain with nowhere to stay and we’re 4 hours from home…. And it all started because he’s disabled and couldn’t move a fridge… He said ‘I know, it really sucks and I’m truly sorry… if you’d like my partner and I can drive you around to hotels until you find somewhere to stay? This is horrible” I had been on the line with the Rewards line the entire time since they arrived, so I said “no, the rewards line is working on finding something, so I think we should be ok, if not I guess we’ll sleep in the car tonight since it’s too late and rainy to try and drive home” He apologized again and said “if you need anything at all, just give us a call” and they left. They left at 9:01pm. The agent at the rewards line was back and forth between working with me, and me being on hold through the entire process of the police being there. I had called as soon as we walked outside to wait for the police. After they left and while Ted was packing stuff up, she came back on and said “my supervisor advised me to call the front desk and ask for the manager. Would you mind holding while I do that please” I agreed. After an extended time she came back on and said “I just wanted to check back with you so you didn’t think I forgot you. I’m still working on, but she put me on an extended hold and never came back. So I’m going to hang up and call back.” The next time she came back on she said “She told me her manager isn’t available for me to talk to and that if I want to talk to him I can send him an email. My supervisor and I are trying to work on finding you a room… just bear with us a little longer while we figure something out” Ted and I finished packing and got in the car and drove next door and sat in the bank parking lot. She eventually came back on and said the supervisor is working on it and asked if we were still in the room. I told her we weren’t and that we were in the bank parking lot. She asked if her supervisor could call us back in 15 min after she figured out where to put us. I agreed. That was I believe about 10:15…. We had started to give up hope of them finding anything, and Ted fell asleep in the car. Then Melissa the supervisor from the rewards line called back maybe around 10:50 asked “ok, what happened there tonight” I proceeded to recap everything… She was so empathetic and apologized for what we went through, and said we’re going to get you set up here. She even confirmed that she could see on our reservation that in the comment section it says “1st floor medical reasons” so that was a clear indicator that we had made his disabilities known even prior to this incident. I’ve put that in the comment section for years. She moved us to the deer park location. They were very kind and accommodating on both the rewards line as well as the other hotel. She had also told me several times they wouldn’t be charging me for the room… when we settled in I decided to check my credit card balance… concerned about being charged for the room we were kicked out of as well as the credit card scam even though we hadn’t given the credit card info… the balance showed a pending charge in the amount of the room and 1 for dinner. I assumed the room would fall off after it canceled. I went to bed. In the morning I again decided to check just to be sure… I got up about 7:30am. The balance was the same, only reflecting the pending charge for the room and dinner the night before. I went to my function, my husband was too tired to go and so he stayed a little longer.. Shortly after 2:00pm we were about to fill our tank and grab a bite to eat before hitting the road home. I checked again just to make sure everything was ok before putting the charges on. My balance had dropped by close to $100. I immediately call the credit card company. They say a charge for Applebee’s, and 2 charges for LQ in the exact same amount, $94 and change… I said “wait, it’s twice?? Why are you putting it on hold twice??’ she says “because the charged you twice, once on Friday for $94.** and then on Saturday for $94.**” I didn’t know what to do… do I go back to the hotel to ask why I’m being charged? Do I call rewards? Are they authorized to stop payments? I decide to drive back and call them and wait and see what they say. I had gone in briefly, but went back out when they came on the line… it was a different girl working. I speak with Brandy a supervisor at the rewards line.. She put me on hold and when she comes back she says “ok, I made her cancel it and I recorded her stating that it would be canceled, and I made her promise she was deleting all your card info from their system. You should be good. “I asked if I should go in and get written proof since I was right there. I heard her speaking to a gentleman and say “she’s at the property, should she go on and get a paper? No, she said it’s someone else working” then she told me, “yea, since there’s someone else working, go ahead and go in and get written proof… that can be your physical proof to our recording” I go inside. Laura is working. I tell her I’d like to get a copy of the current cancelation. she tells me “there’s nothing we can really give you showing the cancelation” I said “well they gave us a $0 balance paper last night” she said “well I can print you another copy, but it’ll be the same thing you got last night, and besides (she points at the sign on the counter) it takes 14 days for the charges to reverse from your account… if you want them removed you’ll have to give all your credit card info so I can contact them on your behalf” I said “no, what I’m looking for is the cancelation for the charge from today” she said, I don’t have anything for that. She then pulls out the 2 papers from check in and says “I can make you copies of these?” I said “those aren’t the cancelation though?” she said “there’s only the cancelation from last night and these” she slides them and shows me the one with the credit card info and says “see? You authorized us to charge you for the room” I said “that was at check in before I was kicked out” She said “that doesn’t matter, you authorized us to charge you” I said “you weren’t supposed to charge me, even the cops told Jenna she wasn’t to charge me” she said “look, I already heard how you acted last night” I said “really? You mean how we wouldn’t help move a fridge?” she said “no Jenna told me how you acted, she said you were yelling and screaming and irate, and that you kept demanding that she move the refrigerator… and no matter how many times she begged and pleaded with you that she wasn’t strong enough you just wouldn’t stop and you just kept screaming and demanding until she had to have the police remove you” I said “that’s not at all what happened, let me tell you my story” she said “I don’t need to hear your story, I’ve already heard Jenna’s… I said “yea, so you don’t want to hear me and the manager won’t talk to me…” She said “the manager already talked to Jenna and got her side, he doesn’t need yours” I said “Ok, I see how it is, can I get my paperwork please?” she said “there’s no paperwork for me to give you” and about then Jenna walks out from the back.. I had no idea she was there. I said “well you charged me twice, I need 2 cancelations” she argues and states “no way did we charge you twice, your bank is just authorizing it multiple times” I said “they don’t do that and they told me it was 2 definite and separate charges” She said “we didn’t charge you twice, your bank is doing that” I said “no they’re not, and if you charged me again today maybe Jenna is being vindictive and trying to tie up my available funds” She said “she’s not being vindictive and we didn’t charge you” I said “Ok, my bank has proof of 2 charges, if a 3rd charge hits I will be filing charges for credit card fraud on Jenna, so I suggest you make sure it doesn’t go through a 3rd time” When I left I called back to the bank. They said if someone from LQ management would like to have a 3 way call with my bank and I, as long as I’m on the line and authorize it that they can tell them the exact date, time and amount of those 2 charges to prove that it was in fact 2 separate charges placed on 2 separate days from that particular Pasadena location.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Theordore,

Thank you for taking the time out to write your review regarding our guest service problems you experienced. We have used your review to educate and train our staff to become better customer service representatives of our property. I greatly appreciate your feedback regarding our Front Desk Agents.

Reviewed 27 May 2015

This was a nice quiet hotel, with very nice staff. It has the typical LQ breakfast which includes hard boiled eggs and I appreciate that. Even though there were a lot of kids and dogs in the hotel for the Memorial weekend it was still nice and quiet. I had a nice king bed suite and enjoyed the space. Having a microwave and a fridge is so handy and allowed me to have some of my favorite drinks and foods while there, like nighttime popcorn with a glass of wine. The only drawback was the mattress. It was awful, hard as a rock. The first night, I felt like my body had been rolled around on rocks. The second night I tried taking the cushions from the couch and chair and lining those up on the bed and sleeping on them, but that was tough to stay on. On the last night of my stay, I just took all the bed pillows, laid those down and put a cover over them and slept on that. That was the best plan. Hopefully they'll be getting some new mattresses before I have to work in that location again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was nice and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business