“My favorite spot on the beach”

Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Cafe on the Beach is a wonderful, cozy small cafe situated right on the beach, offering superior food and service.

The bar drinks and service are excellent, and the quality and quantity of the food is excellent. The fried seafood, wedge salad and burger are great items.

I definitely recommend Cafe in the Beach to anyone looking for a good meal in a great setting.

tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thank you for your recommendation and your great review! My mouth started watering as I read it. You listed so many of my favorite items! Please come back soon. Thank you again!

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Every time we are on de island it’s a must to go and have breakfast and this time we were so disappointed because there were so many flys and as I said I am a regular a didn’t see the menu I already knew what I was going to order “French toast” delicious, really original with Philadelphia chess and orange mermelade.
When they served it I started to eat and my surprise was that doesn’t have anything inside. I asked the waitress and she said “I thought you didn’t want it that way”.
She decided the way I liked my French toast.
Not the way it says in the menu. The way she thought I’d liked. It never happened to me!!

Oh dear! We remember this situation very well. We offer a wonderful “stuffed French Toast” on our menu. While most guests like it just the way it is listed on the menu, we also get frequent requests for plain French toast - without the creamed cheese marmalade stuffing). Our server thought when this guest ordered “plain french toast” that she wanted it without the “stuffing”. As soon as the guest pointed out the problem, she brought the guest the correct French Toast. We are so very sorry!

As the result of this review, we have reminded all our servers to repeat orders back to the guest ...especially when the item is a special order. We are so sorry this happened. We appreciate being reminded of the importance of being 100% certain we are giving the guest exactly what they want. Thank you.

Reviewed 26 April 2018

While the restaurant does face the ocean, the open air concept requires you to swat away the numerous flies and other bugs from your meal. The dishes were generally quite expensive. I had the peel and eat shrimp special - which was nothing special. The shrimp were OK - and since we got the happy hour price, it was a reasonable price for about 8 shrimp. Too many bugs for my wife to even finish her meal once she almost ate a fly. Ugh!

I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with us. One of the great things about our little open-air beachside café is it’s proximity to the beach and dunes. Our customers enjoy hearing and seeing the Gulf of Mexico while dining with us. We’ve considered closing off the Cafe to keep Mother Nature’s unwanted winged visitors out, but we have found over the years that most guests don’t mind the occasional distraction. Still, we are constantly searching for ways to dissuade these unwanted visitors without harming the environment. We’ve installed high velocity fans, and are experimenting with non-toxic, restaurant-use approved sprays. Most of the year, the natural Gulf breezes keep the unwanted winged visitors away. There are just a few weeks when we battle this problem. We are sorry you happened to visit us during one of those times.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

We walked from our condo about a mile, past the beach shops, community center, even a Dollar General store, to a neighborhood lined with condos of all shapes and sizes along Gulf Drive.
I was concerned that the "best breakfast in South Padre" was attached to the back of a "resort" but more like a motel.
Arriving too late for breakfast (they stop serving it at 11:00 during the week), we glanced at their lunch menu while we cooled down with some ice water. Things looked up after noticing their wine menu had a surprisingly extensive selection, including Stag's Leap and Camus vintages.
Settling for a Bloody Mary after a couple of cups of delicious coffee, black, cause I like the beans, we settled on the Red Snapper sandwich and Shrimp Taco baskets, complete with fries or chips.
Let me say, the warm home-made Parmesan kettle chips were a treat, but the finely seasoned grilled Red Snapper sandwich was beyond perfect. Accompanied by a tasty tartar sauce I used on the sandwich AND the chips, the meal was fresh, flavorful and priced appropriately for a better dining experience. The surrounding says backyard deck, but this view makes South Padre a treat.
This isn't a place you have to dress for success, so stroll on in and enjoy this culinary cutie pie. The waitress did tease us, saying the pancakes were worth coming back for, so I'm sure we will be back a bit earlier to try them out!

tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Oh my!! Thank you SOOO much!! I want to use your review as an ad for our Cafe! It perfectly describes all we strive to be. I’m delighted you enjoyed our little “pearl” and look forward to your return to try our delicious pancakes!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. We sincerely appreciate it!

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

This place was a real shocker! Looks like a dumpy condo complex on the beach, as it may well be. Walk around to the beachfront and you will discover a delightful little cafe unobsructively overlooking the ocean. Gigantic menu and the freshest ingredients. Staff was efficient and unobtrusive.

tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Thank you so much!! We’re delighted you discovered our Cafe. I hope you’ll stop at our front desk next visit to check out our great guest rooms. We love to show them off! They are cute, beach-themed, clean and comfy. Looking forward to delighting you once again!!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback!