“Fantastic Mexican Cuisine Hiding in Plain Sight”

Raizes Mexican Kitchen
Ranked #13 of 102 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 19 February 2018

Like the rest of the Houston Metro area, Fort Bend County has a good number of restaurants featuring Mexican cuisine, although too many are chain based as opposed to family owned establishments.

By total happenstance, I came across one of those family owned “best kept secret” types of places and it was hiding in plain sight. If you appreciate a breakfast that presents well, is tasty, and is clearly prepared with pride, Raizes Mexican Kitchen Coffee House is a good bet.

I was looking for something different for a Sunday breakfast and found Raizes on Dulles Avenue (across from the Middle School).

Raizes is unassuming on the outside and is really easy to miss, but it is very clean and cozy inside. The first positive was the fragrance of fajita beef as we walked in the door.

I had the Chilaquiles with chicken, and my wife chose Migas con Huevo. The dishes were wonderful. Mine was right up with the best I have ever had. It arrived hot and fresh plated. The salsa verde was wonderful, very tasty and mild. The hot sauce is also good, but not for the faint of heart. Of course, we traded bites. The Migas had some really well marinated beef with it. Both came with excellent refried beans while mine came with potatoes as well. The flour tortillas were warm and prepared just right.
I don’t know about lunch and dinner, but chips and salsa is not served with breakfast. This turned out very well because the portions were plenty healthy.
The service was personable and attentive. Interestingly enough, the time between taking the order and service seemed a little long until the food arrived and we quickly realized it was all prepared fresh and to order. Nothing pre-staged about this at all.
I think I have found a new fave. Good food, clean place, pleasant décor, reasonable prices, friendly folks, and open on Sunday as well!. My only real complaint is that I did not discover it earlier.

1  Thank SLTX83

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Love Raizes! Food is always great and so is the service! Food presentation and flavor is impeccable for the price! Owner is a great guy and always goes above and beyond!

1  Thank Crystal C
Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

We were part of a ten person group that ate here around 1130 on a Sunday. No problems finding a seat. The restaurant is small and could probably accommodate 25-30 people tops inside. Outside seating available although it was exposed to the adjacent street. Menu was typical Tex Mex fare, but fairly bare bones. Not sure how long they have been open, but the service was below par for a place like this. Once we got our food order in, the food came relatively quickly, the orders were right and the food was good. I had tacos al pastor, they were served on very good home made tortillas. I would like to think i know my tacos al pastor, and the meat on this one was average, no pineapple. I'm all about supporting small businesses and this one probably needs some help, but there are better Mexican food restaurants out there.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

Their chipotle chicken Quesadilla is excellent. They have created a very good cilantro salad dressing as well...

Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

Ordered lunch to go. Beef fajita with rice and beans. It was delicious. Especially the green salsa I got with it. I will keep coming back to try the different dishes they offer. The owner is very friendly and welcome everyone coming into the restaurant.

1  Thank Ana V P