“Would have been 5 stars if it wasn't so confusing and woman at front wasn't helpful~”
Review of Newk's

Newk's
Ranked #64 of 435 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 February 2016

Decided to try this place since I was in Waco for a short trip. It's located in one of the nicer shopping centers in town. I walked in and realized they had counter ordering with a menu posted on wall. Studied the entire menu for several minutes and discovered I really wanted a turkey sandwich that was on child's menu, (for 12 and under), so I had to re-think and figure out something on adult menu. I settled on a chicken salad sandwhich, tomato soup, iced tea and one of their homemade rice krispy treats. The very petite, dark-haired woman at the counter was rather brusque with me, and I was a little surprised that my bill was almost $16 for lunch. But I was starving, so I paid up and received a tea glass to fill for myself. She didn't explain any of the procedure of how to identify my order, and acted so harsh that she thoroughly intimidated me, so I got my drink and sat down at a booth. About 5-10 minutes later, I saw her coming towards me with a sign with a number on it. She acted really aggravated that she had to track me down, even though restaurant was not busy. I took the number from her and said "sorry", she just glared and stomped away from me. I still did not know what to do with the sign, but finally figured out I could mount it on tabletop menu stand so someone could deliver my food. Finally, after about 15 more minutes, a smiling young man brought my lunch to the table. The food was wonderful! Fresh chicken salad on toasted and crunchy French bread.. Pecans and grapes in the fabulous salad and the lukewarm tomato basil was really, really good, (though I wished it could be hotter). Everything tasted fresh and of high quality, and the sandwich was so large that I only ate half and got a to-go container from a friendly young lady at the takeout counter. Later, at my hotel, I inhaled the best rice cereal treat I have ever eaten! I don't mind paying a bit more for quality food, just wish I had experienced better customer service when I got there. I might return again know that I know how it works, but I would hope I don't have to deal with her again. Some people should not work with the public. Hopefully she was just having a bad day and normally helps people with the ordering process a lot better~

1  Thank fishfortrout

Reviewed 18 January 2016

One of my favorite places for a salad. They are huge. My husband and I can usually share one of these entree salads. The salads are fresh and piled high with vegetables and meats. The dressings aren't whimpy and pack a big taste. The sandwiches and pizzas are good. It is a counter service restaurant, and the service is fairly quick. Great for a quick lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

DH, LB and I visited here for lunch. 2 personal pizzas, 1 Ultimate salad and 3 sodas, $44. I think it was way too expensive for an eatery. The bathrooms were filthy and smelly. So much that you could smell them in the dining area.

The salad was spicy (who serves spicy salad?). The pizzas were fresh and good, and that's why I'm giving it 3 stars.

The place was full, so I guess it's a popular place, but for us, it could've been better.

Reviewed 21 September 2015

Service is fast and friendly, and fresh food is made to order. In a sea of low level fast food restaurants in Waco, this is a happy island! I enjoyed the delicious black bean soup,and a half of a Newk Q sandwich. They have free condiments including pickles and acapers on a self serve island.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

I love Newk's favorite salad! The grapes, cranberries, artichokes, dark green & purple lettuce, walnuts, etc. are so tasty and heathy!
Really enjoyable is the Pelegrino from Italy. My girlfriend likes the sandwiches. I eat there often.

Been to Newk's? Share your experiences!