Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab
US$159
US$169
US$109
US$125
All reviewshi expressindoor poolpancake machinegrand canyoncinnamon rollsthird floorfront desk stafflaundry facilitiesin townbiscuits and gravyyogurtsmall townconvenient locationafter a long daya great place to staygrocery storewe've stayed
Reviewed 4 September 2016

We had a rather long day of travel from Flagstaff, stopping at Glen Canyon Dam for a couple of hours on our way. This was a hotel in the midst of downtown Kanab. We ended up walking across the street to eat at this little sandwich/ice cream shop. The breakfast bar here was one of the best - the food tasted so fresh. They were limited in space as a chartered bus of young people had spent the night as well. The desk personnel quickly assured us that we could eat in the lounging area off of the lobby. It was small, yet very accommodating.

Room Tip: We were in a room on the back side of the hotel - very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
William A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2016

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I appreciate your kind words about your stay and your experience here. I am glad that we have turned out to be one of the best breakfasts you have encountered in your travels and that our staff was accommodating in finding you a spot to hang out for breakfast and enjoy the fresh food. We sure hope you come and visit us again soon. Once again thank you for staying with us and have a great day.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

I stay at HI Express all the time and have never had such a terrible experience as I had at Kanab location. First, I joined the rewards club and stay in HI Express primarily because a fridge in every room is supposed to be standard. When I arrived in Kanab, I found there wasn't a fridge. Because I have dietary issues and planned on hiking and needed to bring food with me, a fridge was pretty mandatory. I had actually brought food with me not realizing there wouldn't be a fridge in the room and I didn't want it to go to waste.

Anyway, after a lot of bother, and having to argue with the staff over price (they wanted to charge me higher rate for room with fridge) they agreed to move me to a room with a fridge. By that time it was late. The room was a nice room, and larger than what I needed, so it seemed all was resolved.

That night, went to use the bathroom before going to sleep and the toilet was broken. Just wouldn't flush. Tried looking in the tank to check if the chain was attached or any other obvious thing that was easily fixable, but couldn't see what was causing the problem. I called the front desk to report the problem. It was late and I told them I would likely be ok for the evening, but would need to have a plan in place for the morning.

The next morning, I called the front desk at 7am. The manager had not been notified of the problem. He said he would work on it, which he did. However, I had to use the restroom in the hallway, Then returned to shower. At 9am, I went back to the front desk to see what they were going to do. They still didn't have a plan. Not wanting to loose a day of my vacation while they figured it out, I ended up having to pack all my stuff (including refrigerated items) in my bags so they could move me to another room if they needed to.

That evening, I found they had fixed the toilet, but my food of course was spoiled. I explained to the night manager that while I could deal with the fridge issue, the fact that they had neglected the toilet issue really was inexcusable. A working toilet is a requirement, not an option and to wake up and find that there had been no communication regarding a guest with a broken toilet was shocking. Not only that, but all my food had spoiled in the process because they didn't know how they were going to resolve the issue and I had to make a choice between my food spoiling or loosing a day of hiking, which I had traveled a long way to do...

The manager apologized and said she was going to refund me for my stay, saying, "I'm going into the computer right now to make the change" as I watched her apparently do that. When I signed the bill in the AM it showed a zero balance, yet today, when I checked my credit card account, I saw that I had been billed for the entire amount.

Called the location and was refused help. The girl at the desk said her managers were away for the weekend an nobody was available to assist with the problem .There were no notes in the computer, etc.

She said there is never a manager on duty on the weekend, only during the week. Talk about terrible policy! Beware if you have a problem on the weekend!

Needless to say, I will never say at this HIE again. I didn't have any issues with the two other HIE locations I stayed in while in Utah and typically have a very pleasant experience at HIE. It's a shame this one was so awful!

PS -- I agree with what previous posters have said about the strange odor -- my room had a strange smell as well.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2016

Dear daniellesara22,

Thank you for staying with us and for bringing your concern to our attention. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like to address this with you further and have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 2 September 2016

The hotel was one of the priciest ones I paid for in Utah. (I didn't realize Western Legends was happening the same weekend!) If it weren't for the clean linens, I would have probably gone elsewhere. The first room I got smelled and the hotel reception came upstairs and agreed - so we changed it. Breakfast was adequate and housecleaning was severely lacking (things not picked off the floor, bed not made, towels not picked up). The redeeming quality was that the front staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I'd book at the last minute next time. Prices dropped drastically a few days before or even the night of...

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry about the rate being as high as it was, you are right it was Western Legends where almost every single hotel in the town gets sold out and prices all around are pretty tough. We hope you at least got to get out and enjoy the festivities which were unfortunately dampered by the rain. I apologize about housekeeping and this is something we don't often experience where we are lacking in that area. I have addressed our staff and is something we will keep a close eye out on. We do take pride in our friendliness and service and I'm at least happy we met those expectations. I hope we get another chance the next time you area in town to make sure you leave completely satisfied. Until then you have a wonderful day and thank you once again for staying with us.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

I stayed one night on my way from Las Vegas to North Rim Grand Canyon, arrived at hotel about 10 PM. It was a good way to break up the long drive from Las Vegas.

Check in was pleasant, room was comfortable and quiet. Hotel breakfast buffet was varied and better than average. Kanab is a scenic spot with red rock cliffs all around.

Room Tip: I usually request a top floor room to avoid room noise from above.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your stay. We appreciate all the wonderful comments and happy to hear you were able to get some rest to break up that drive which I know all too well. We would love to see you again soon. Thank you once again and safe travels.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

This HIE is conveniently located, but overpriced.

I am a fan of the HIE brand of hotels. They offer nice rooms, friendly staff, free breakfast and usually reasonable rates. This location came close on most of those criteria, but it was certainly overpriced. To give you an example, this was the most expensive hotel we visited during our entire trip. It wasn't the nicest, nor did it have the most amenities. It cost more to stay here per night than a four star suite cost me in San Antonio. I realize lodging options are limited in Kanab, but rates should have been in the $100-120 range not nearly $200 a night.

In addition to the higher cost, there were a few other issues. The staff here seemed less friendly than other locations. They weren't rude, but weren't friendly either. Normally it wouldn't be worth mentioning as my dealings with the front desk were infrequent, but every other location we visited had incredible staff.

The other issue was the outward appearance of the hotel. It wasn't as inviting as other locations. While difficult to explain, this parking lot and exterior felt almost utilitarian.

Now that I have detailed my complaints, I want to address the areas that were actually good. Our room was nice, clean and had excellent air conditioning. The room was very comfortable for our group and we enjoyed our stay in the room itself.

Breakfast was free, and was what we had come to expect from the HIE chain.

Would I stay here again if I was in Kanab? Maybe. If prices are the same as last time I will look to other chains for a better deal.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We do appreciate your feedback about everything both good and bad. With the prices during this time the whole area is sold out unfortunately with international travel and it is peak time which all the hotels in the area are sold out due to the location of the town in the midst of all the National Parks. Rates from our neighboring page range in the $300's, St. George slightly lower than us, than Springdale located closest to Zions is also way over the $200 range. Unfortunately with all of our new hotels in the area our rates in the town are always higher because it's either that or the town is sold out and finding another hotel closer will be no less than a 2 hour drive. I am sorry that that alone left a bad taste for you. I was taken back from the service and not being that friendly. That is an area in which we take so much pride in and always have great reviews about guests receiving the best service during all their visits and I am sorry to hear that that wasn't the case here. I hope that somehow we can find a way to rectify that and be able to see you again to make your stay a memorable one and worth the price being paid. Until then have a great day and thank you once again for staying with us.