“Gluten free crust pizza :)”

Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill
Ranked #15 of 244 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: Italian, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for a quick dinner on our way out of town and both enjoyed our pizzas. I got the gluten free crust which is thin crust and a good size. Larger than the personal pizza. It was tasty and quick and definitely family friendly. They have a decent looking menu even though we both chose pizza. We noticed the kids at the table next to us got to actually put their sauce and toppings on their pizza. The server brought them dough and toppings and they got to put it together themselves.

It wasn't the greatest restaurant in the universe but was good and had a decent size crowd. We would go back if given the opportunity.

SmokyMtnPizza, Director of Food & Beverage at Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the great feedback! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Smoky Mountain used to be our favorite place, but they've let us down again. My wife and I went for lunch and were seated promptly, which was nice. I ordered a house salad, and my wife ordered a chicken sandwich and a side salad instead of fries (for a small upcharge).

But 18 minutes later, we still didn't have our drinks. My wife had to get up and ask the other server to get our drinks, which then came out. She also asked about our food, but that server never returned.

At 25 minutes, our server came by, and we asked about our food, maybe could we at least get our salads? The salads came out, and the server apologized. The restaurant was busy and only two were on the floor. (True enough: I could see that each server had 5-6 tables, and several were parties of 3-4 people, including some children. No manager was in sight, and nobody else helped the two servers the whole time we were in the restaurant.).

At 40 minutes, we cancelled the sandwich and asked for our bill, and we asked for the sandwich to be taken off of the bill. Our server asked if we wanted to take the sandwich with us, so we agreed. The server went to the kitchen, came back with the bill, and said the sandwich was gone; the kitchen "did something with it." The server apologized and left the table. Then I noticed that we had been charged nearly the same amount ($5.18) for my wife's tiny side salad as we were charged ($5.79, I think) for the house salad. Also, I looked at the ticket entry time, and it was 24 minutes after we had been seated.

In my opinion, as a former restaurant manager, the poor service we experienced during the past two visits comes back to how the restaurant is managed. There should be three people on the floor during busy times like lunch. A manager should be present out front, watching over the customer experience, and could be that third person helping. Management by absence is mismanagement.

The two servers also needed guidance as much as they needed help. They looked a bit lost/overwhelmed and physically were turning in circles sometimes. When they moved, they were shuffling and moving tentatively, when the situation called for swift, efficient movement. All of this is due to how the restaurant is managed, and it will not improve until management of the staff is improved.

Why write so much detail? I'm a customer who cares. This used to be our favorite place, and now we're not sure we'll be back.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Had a steak dinner, service was fast, food was excellent. My server Angie will be the reason I come back, best service at a restaurant I have had.

SmokyMtnPizza, Director of Food & Beverage at Smoky Mountain Pizzeria Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2017

Hi purge6767,

Thanks for the great feedback on both the service and the food, we appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

We eat here often. They have, quality food with great portions and flavor. Angie was our server last night and we have had her several times before. She takes great care of us.

Hi Cannons1,

Thank you for the nice review. We look forward to seeing you often!

Reviewed 24 January 2017

I eat at Smoky Mountain almost weekly. I love the food. I have my favorites but everything else I've tried is delicious, too. The service is excellent. Angie and her co-workers always make me feel welcome and provide helpful suggestions. The service is prompt and the food delivered quickly. I can get in, eat, and be back at work within the hour. I recommend this place wholeheartedly.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the great feedback and the nice review! We will see you again soon!