“small portions, good service ”
Review of Red Fox Inn

Price range: US$8 - US$48
Cuisines: American, French, Irish
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A hidden gem in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Breath-taking views, known for our live music, homemade food, desserts and welcoming staff. Premiere entertainment from New Orleans to New York, California to Ireland... Come find what you've been looking for!
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

Came hungry, left hungry. Two of us had salads. While tasty, they portions were way too small, how much more would it cost provide more lettuce? The burger was fine but they forgot the cheese on top and then just put a piece on and didn’t bother to melt it. Also tried their famous apple pie which was good but the slice of pie was on the smaller side. The service was good as was the food but there just wasnt enough of it for the cost charged.

1  Thank Bob C

Reviewed 1 August 2017

My wife, son, and I had dinner at the Red Fox Inn at the suggestion of our friends who've been there many times. We had a basic dinner in the pub and loved it. It was a Thursday night which meant $5 burgers and $2 Budweisers. We ordered cheeseburgers and Bud. The food hit the spot, the bar scene was lively and the service was very good. This is a fun place to go for dinner. Call in advance to see if there is music when you go. I'd definitely go back to the Red Fix Inn for another meal.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We've always had fun dining here and were never disappointed. This visit was no exception. Fish & Chips, burgers, chicken & ribs and similar fare await large groups with great fanfare. Beware this is Sox, Patriots & Celtics country so don't get to upset if a NY team is losing. The main dining room upstairs is usually closed after ski season.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

We visited in the off season- Memorial Day weekend- and there was a nice small friendly crowd. The food was good, staff were friendly and service was good. They also are family friendly. Cool Elvis pinball machine and fun foosball table.
Nice grounds to walk around as well.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I do not recommend this restaurant under any circumstance. It is not a restaurant that can be considered a ski destination for anyone that appreciates the three pillars of a dining experience (good food preparation, service, and atmosphere). The Red Fox Inn is everything a restaurant should not be. It especially reflects the worse aspect of a restaurant: a proprietor who does not care for the customers or the restaurant’s reputation and where it falsely advertises that it is a welcoming destination after a long day on the slopes.

The following, without exaggeration, details the worse restaurant experience in my life.

I was invited to ski Stratton mountain in Vermont. It would be the first time skiing in the US Northeast in approximately 25 years. Hmm...I did not know what to expect and if there were restaurants that could be considered a ski destination. As I ski the US Midwest with its abundance of lovely après ski and destination restaurants, I was curious and agreed to the trip, since my boyfriend has frequented Stratton mountain and he and I enjoy restaurants of all types.

The bizarre evening started when the hostess brought our party to the table. Our reservations were for 8 adults. Yet, the table could not fit us. The hostess seemed quite confused and even vexed at us as though somehow we created the miss match! She realised the issue and walked us to a larger table. The next couple hours progressively worsened.

The first clue of a disturbing evening occurred when we were seated. A lady at the next table leaned over and whispered to us: the food does not come, even if you ask for it; they do not bring it! There is long wait.
What was odd about the message being given was that the lady seemed genuinely concerned about being overheard. As though, if she were caught conveying this message, the consequences were very negative. We thanked her and thought it interesting that she felt driven to tell us, yet did not think too much of it at the time...

As we proceeded to order, the waitperson appeared not to be able to jot down our order of appetizers and entrees. Were we speaking too fast? We did not think so, yet just in case, we politely repeated our orders only to realise the waitperson seemed annoyed to take our orders. Taking the orders for a table of 8 seemed too much trouble for her.

The restaurant had a wine list. My boyfriend ordered three bottles of red wine. Since red wine should be chilled at approximately 60 degrees, he requested that the wine be chilled, since it was warm.
The waitperson’s reaction ranged from disbelief to exasperation for making such a request. (You would have thought we asked her to go to the vineyard and make the wine for us.) Please know the food selection and the bottles of wine were not inexpensive, yet it did not matter to the waitperson.

The result of this frustrating tug of war with the waitperson was cold food, dishes out of sequence (e.g., entrees before appetizers), dishes ordered and never received, and oh yes, guess what...delayed service in such an unreasonable and unacceptable time frame. The memory of the lady who warned us when we first sat down flashed across my mind. I understood now. When we pointed out the obvious problems, the waitperson became visibly upset with us! There were no apologies. The waitperson viewed us as the problem. The evening became more disturbing and abusive. We ordered dessert and the desserts were brought to our table at different times and some not at all. There was absolutely no room for requests or questions. We finally gave up trying to finish our dinner. Some of us were eating dessert, whilst others were only being served their entrees. The bill came promptly with a 20% gratuity included for our convenience. We paid the bill.

As we left, we passed the proprietor/manager. My boyfriend asked to speak to her and shared with her what had transpired over dinner.

The proprietor/manager's response was full of rage! She lashed out at the two of us and said, I know you...you are the problem table. (We tried to explain without avail.) She was enraged and continued: I don't care what you say. She shouted at us: Get out! Get out! She never offered or made a gesture to refund our money or find out what happened at our table. The service was appalling and payment was still requested without any apologies or an attempt at an apology.

To reiterate, the Red Fox Inn is an appalling representation of the restaurant business in food preparation, service, and atmosphere. This is not to say all the restaurants in Stratton Mountain Vermont do not merit consideration. We enjoyed “The Perfect Wife” and “Bistro Henry”, which were welcoming, accommodating, and satisfying.

1  Thank JRDTwins