“Outstanding”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Excellent food and atmosphere. Chef Michael is always coming up with new and interesting dishes. The services is excellent as well. Reservations or calling ahead is recommended.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

Husband and I went there on a date night, we had been given a gift certificate from a friend. We called in advance to make a reservation and told them we were vegetarian. The waitstaff let us know that the chef is very accommodating. The inside of the restaurant is charming and intimate, feels like being in a vintage cable car. It was a tad cold inside but I am sure it's difficult to keep a place of that vintage well insulated and heated. I was seated across from the kitchen and was impressed by the care and thoughtfulness that the chef and waitstaff put into preparing each dish...it took some true talent!

We started off with a beautiful salad with that had vegetables shaped like flowers and a house made blue cheese dressing. It was delicious.

For an appetizer we had a lovely buratta and sliced pear drizzled honey and fig balsamic...it was lovely and memorable.

Our main course was a variety of squash, mashed parsnip, roasted leeks, greens and peppers. It was absolutely, melt-in-your-mouth fantastic.

Just when we thought the food couldn't get any better, dessert was served...we opted for the gelato in 2 unique flavors--olive oil and rosemary chevre. Both mind blowingly good.
Overall I would say it was a fantastic dinner and well worth a visit.

My one tiny complaint would be that it appears we were charged the same price for a vegetarian meal as a meat one...it seems that the squash dish, although truly delicious, should have not been priced as high as grilled swordfish or steak. However I would not let that sway my overall opinion that the meal was fabulous. Which is the reason for 1 less star.

1  Thank sVT_traveler
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I can't agree with Vermont nico's review more. We have had much better food many other places for far less money. This restaurant is seriously overrated. The atmosphere is a 1920s train car with about 7-8 tables which was very exciting and gave us great hope. When you enter you feel you were lucky to get a reservation and are in for a great experience. Really not the case. We asked did they have any period cocktails, no they don't since they don't have a liquor license. OK we'll have wine which I must say was the highlight of our meal. The waitperson then recites the menu to you. You really have no chance to think about what you might want for dinner. How many times can you ask someone to repeat the choices? Prices are never given and since there are only 4 choices why bother to ask? We three women had a bottle of wine, two appetizers ( the best part of the meal) three entrees and two very mediocre desserts and had the honor of paying close to $300 for it. The check was presented as we were eating, no prices were on the check only totals for each category, what if you weren't splitting the bill evenly? Our plates were taken as we had forks in our mouths with our last bites. The next reservation came in and the wait person pointed at us and said " They are almost done, they seem to be taking a long time". What nonsense is that? Usually some one might say out of your hearing that your table is almost ready but the party seems to be lingering over coffee etc. We were then asked to leave and told that they allowed only two hours per table and people were waiting but please pay us almost $300 for the experience. Save your evening and go to Peter Havens up the street. Much better experience, great food and really nice people.

4  Thank chowmeingirl
Michael F, Owner at T. J. Buckley's, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

In this day and age when anyone can be a restaurant, movie or book critic, a blogger, memoirist or autobiographer, we’ve been give a new voice and we all have something important to say. I appreciate every critique of my business knowing full well you can’t please everyone. That being said, I had an unpleasant experience once in a fine restaurant, but I chose to email them directly because I wanted them to succeed and do better. Since neither diner mentioned any of their concerns while at the restaurant-an intimate venue where all staff members are friendly and easily accessible-we had no chance to make things right

Reviewed 1 October 2017

we went back after a 10 year interruption and an average review as we were curious to see if we were still "lukewarm" about this, so it seems, a well rated restaurant.

The place was, as expected, packed and the service improved with an orally description of the menu (The waitress does not mention prices so you have to ask which we did not).

We had a view on the kitchen which was spot clean and we could observe the on-going preparation of the meals. It was impressive to witness the care which which salads were constructed and the plating the various dishes.

We started with smoked trout tartelettes which were a bit soggy and lacking taste(too small share of smoked trout) so we rated it average.
For entrees, my wife had the Moscovy duck which she found satisfactory but too hard to cut. I had the scallops which were perfectly cooked with a nice garnish.
We skip desserts and enjoyed wine by the glass with a limited but adequate choice.

However, our overall rating was average because we were put off by the prices of entrées at $45 each which brought a total of almost $200 for our meal.
So we discussed on the way back that we had often eaten comparable or better and often more interesting meals in more comfort for less than $200 and that it was indeed poor value.
Will we go back?
Most probably not unless we are invited :-)

Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is a very small restaurant so reservations are a must. The waitress describes the menu options. When we went I believe that there were 4 options each for dinner, appetizer and dessert. We went with a friend and knew from the reviews that we were in for a seriously delightful meal. We were not disappointed. Every aspect of the meal was a work of art. Fair warning it is a bit pricey but well worth it. When we will plan our next trip to VT we hope to return.