“Pleasantly surprised!!!!”

Back Behind Saloon Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2017

The reviews we saw were mixed. Do visit if you are ever in the area. Hubby and I had the fried pickles, as an app. We split, with a small additional charge, the Back Behind Sampler, a BBQ combination of chicken, pulled pork, beef brisket, St.Louis and Baby Back Ribs. The flavorful meat fell off the bone. Gerry, the owner, sat us and explained the menu in detail. If you enjoy BBQ, put this place on your list, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

We ate here because it was across the street from where we were staying. We were pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. The waitress and the owner Gerry were lovely people. We really enjoyed our visit. Definitely will go back when we return to the area.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

A wonderful stop, worth going out of your way. Great staff, amazing food, varied and original menu (try the deep-fried mac and cheese,) fun décor. 5 stars.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

Would we go back. No! Here's why....
We stayed a few days to ski at Killington Resort and found this place with a Google search for 'Killington restaurants'. It was a short 10 minute drive from the Killington Mountain Lodge so we headed over. The outside appeal and the crowd at the bar made it seem inviting. We were the only people waiting and there were several tables but it still took 10 minutes to get us to a table. No biggie. Gerry, the hostess and owner, seated us and went through a long list of specials; we didn't remember most of them when she finished. A quiet young lady waited on us. She was nice but seemed extremely bored. Besides the exceptions below service was ok, food came out quick. As soon as she walked away the boys made a comment about her disinterest. My son had eaten at the lodge so he was just gonna have a few ribs. When he said he was just gonna share a few ribs the waitress was quick to tell him there was a $5 split charge so he might as well get fries, veg and eat the cole slaw. He didn't want those but she didn't really give him a choice. I ordered onion soup, a crab cake and a salad. She was quick to tell me if I ate the cole slaw it be a $5 up-charge. We were not happy with her quickiness to push the $5 charge in order to eat 4 ribs or salad and it ended up being the topic of conversation the entire dinner. The other 2 got full meals and we had a round of beers. They do feature Vermont beers which was nice.

About the food. THE CONS: The onion soup had a good broth but the onions were cut large and the cheese overcooked. The crabcake was crusty and flavorless as was the rice that came with the ribs. My $5 house salad was fresh but came with the signature blue cheese dressing in a small plastic cup but I don't recommend it as its like blue cheese crumbles in cheap ranch dressing. We were a table of 4 ordering barbecue but they served us a single tiny Onion Bread. One small 4 slice loaf that lasted about 3 seconds among 4 grown men with no offer for more. Our water glasses were filled when we sat and Gerry came around to refill them as we were paying the check. The only vegetable available was green beans. THE PROS: Nice full menu with lots of selections. The best thing about the BACK BEHIND was that the barbecue ribs (both kinds) were nothing short of spectacular! It made up (almost) for all the other shortcomings of this restaurant.

We would go back if the bartender was our waitress. We could see over at the bar people laughing with the good time bartenders. I fully understand a $5 split plate fee but politely ask if someone wants the extras when they only want a couple ribs. Three others at the table were spending $25+ a person so should not have been a big deal. Offer a variety of vegs. Keep my water glass filled. Offer bread refills often when your are serving 4 grown men drinking beer! We had dinner but it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience for the price we paid!

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

This is my 2nd visit that when my young daughter and I requested to sit in the caboose area we were denied. It is one of the reasons we like to dine there. Why have that area if you don't want anyone using it. I would understand if she "the owner " just gave us a legitimate answer instead of blatantly lying to us both times about a large party booking that area. Both occasions after spending 2hrs there no one ever showed up to dine. Food quality had no flavor as well and we won't be returning