“Great value, excellent food, but .........”
Review of Iron Lantern

Iron Lantern
Ranked #6 of 15 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ph: (802) 468-5474 ~ Fax: (802) 468-2362 ~ Email: ironlanternrest@aol.com
Reviewed 4 February 2018

I went to this restaurant for the first time. The salad/soup and bread bar was included with the meal and there was a very large assortment of items including shrimp. The portion size was acceptable and the prime rib I had was the best in the area. Although the food was the quality of an upscale restaurant, The ambiance was that of casual fine dining. It is a place where I will certainly go back to and if you have never been there, be sure to give it a try.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

The surroundings are a little dated in this place, making it feel a bit like a throw back to the supper clubs of old, but the food is awesome. The buffet is stocked with all kinds of fresh veg and salads of all types, shrimp cocktail, fresh bread and hot and hearty soup. My entree was less memorable, I guess, since I can't remember what I ordered, now, but maybe it's just because my eyes bugged out at the sight of the buffet ROOM. Would I come back? Absolutely.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Classic supper club atmosphere Nice experience. Exceptional salad bar. Many unusual choices such as grape leaves and Brussels sprouts. Service was attentive and food was tasty.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

We visited this restaurant again after several years. We had to give it a mixed review. We were there for dinner with a group (reservation) of several friends. We were seated promptly and given menus and water promptly. Little dishes of butter and crackers were on the table. The restaurant advertises a soup, bread and salad bar, but we did not see it when we came in because it is off in a separate room.

Meal prices were in the high teens and higher, except for salad and soup only. There was a children's menu but, oddly, we saw no listing of simple hamburgers and such. (No one asked about that.)

Dinners were ample, and the salad bar was quite good when we were directed to it. (Unfortunately, it was a distance away, though, and we all had to walk through the entrance area to get there and back.) It offered peel-your-own shrimp, as well as a variety of salad items. Chowder and breads were on a separate board across the room. The food was basically okay, but my two pork chops were thin and rather tough. My wife had the "French chicken", which was also good, but seemed a bit on the cool side. Desserts were good.

Our waitress was excellent, but, overall, we agreed the whole experience was "average". No huge complaints, but everything seemed just basically okay.

1  Thank Vermonter33
Reviewed 8 May 2017

We were 8 people who had a reservation for 7pm. Our waitress was the least attentive waitress I've ever had in a restaurant in years and years. We were seated, she came with water, then left and went to another table seated 10 minutes after us, and took their order, AND another table's order, before coming back for our order. We hit the salad bar, ate a plate each, then waited .... and waited .... and waited .... for our food. All the tables seated after us in our area were getting served. Finally, at 8:40 our food arrived. I have never seen anything like it. In the 1 hour and 40 minutes we waited, she never came to fill our waters, or ask others if they'd like another soda or drink ... she never came to clear out used salad plates .... it was just awful service. When she did come to our table, she never cracked a smile, wasn't friendly, didn't chit-chat - she was just miserable. It honestly ruined our experience for what otherwise would have been a decent meal out. Food was OK to fairly good, though one flat iron steak was very tough and another was very tender. Chicken in a chicken parm was far too thick. Our family is Italian, an chicken breasts for Chicken Parm need to be pounded thin. This one was over an inch thick and cooked too much - pretty tough - and not enough tomato sauce served. Salad bar was great! Although don't mistake the awful braised/marinated brussel sprouts for marinated mushrooms like I did (unless you like brussel sprouts, which I don't!). By the time we left it was 9:20. Two hours 20 minutes from arrival to departure. I'm not one to rush eating, but no one should have to wait 1.5 hours for food to be served.

2  Thank lhousesoccer