“Excellent Turkish Food!”

Istanbul Kebab House
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Reviewed 3 February 2014

In business it's important to exceed the customer's expectations and this was truly the case. The first time we drove from Waterbury Center to eat at this restaurant, we were disappointed to find it closed, they close on Mondays.

We love this type of food and decided to give it another try, we were not disappointed. We dined there on Super Bowl Sunday and were the only patrons at that time, I guess because the game was on.

The host was gracious and the food was excellent. We had the mixed mezze platter and the lamb kebab washed down by authentic Turkish tea. We were surprised to be given hot Turkish bread, our only complaint is that we wished there were more mezze on the plate. The babaganouch was ridiculously good as was everything else on the platter.

We followed this with the lamb kebab which my wife and I shared. The lamb was cooked to perfection (medium rare) and was delicious. We were stuffed after sharing both plates, but when we were presented with the dessert menu, we just had to have the Turkish rice pudding. It brought back pleasant memories of being in Marmaris, Turkey. I would have ordered the baklava also, as I was impressed that they added a Vermont twist to it by adding apples and maple syrup, but I would surely have exploded from over eating!

The prices were a bit higher than anticipated, but everything is expensive in Vermont. We ordered from the dinner menu, but we noted lower prices on a lunch menu, prices change at 3:00pm. Being able to eat such fresh and well prepared food made it a truly memorable meal. These guys obviously take pride in the food they present. We can't wait to return!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I've eaten at the Istanbul Kebab House a couple of times. Good experiences both times and we will return.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I came to the Istanbul Kebab House shortly after it opened, and was truly surprised that a Middle Eastern restaurant with this level of quality had actually appeared in our area. I'm just writing to say that I concur with most of the reviews, and urge everyone (yes, EVERYONE, whether or not you are familiar with this type of cuisine) to give this place a try. I tell everyone I meet about it, and take anyone who will agree to come with me to enjoy the IKH's marvelous cuisine. I have dined here often.

Vural is the owner that I usually run into, and he is a truly wonderful host and very helpful in suggesting what sort of items from the menu may appeal to various palates. The entire staff is attentive and kind, and while the service can be a bit "wobbly" from time to time, it's evident that everyone is playing his or her best game.

Just about anything you order will be well-prepared, and do not leave without having the lavash--if not initially with one of the appetizer spreads, then with the entree. You MUST. Also, if you don't have room for the baklava, you really should take some home.

Thanks Vural, Jackie, and Hasan!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was our first time to the Kebab House. We were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff. The owner suggested a couple appetizers that were delicious. The Babaganoush and the lavish bread was great. We had the tenderloin wraps off the lunch menu and they were fabulous. We will definitely return to the restaurant again.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband and I went here for the first time. Not familiar at all with Turkish food. The waiter recommended a smaller sized Meze Platter that had hummus, babaganoush, Turkish salsa spicy :) and stuffed grape leaves and a type of red cabbage salad. It was served with hot lavash bread. Everything was fresh and made with obvious attention to detail. It really amazingly delicious. I enjoyed a serving of hot Turkish tea that was simple but quite comforting and pleasant. My husband had a Mixed Vegetable Guvec which was a lovely stew and served in a very hot earthenware casserole dish on a wood platter. It came with Turkish rice which was sort of tasted in between rice and cous cous (which I don't care for) but this was so unusual and tasty and perfect. I had kebab made with chicken and Halloumi. I've never had Halloumi but it was also very good. I preferred my husband's entrée but mine was appetizing.
We will definitely go back and I am looking forward to it. My husband isn't as adventurous as I am with ethnic food but he gave it an A+.
Such lovely staff. I was pleased to see that it was busy. It was authentic and well prepared food.