“Very good dinner”

Ranked #4 of 73 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the best of pub fare served in a casual setting. The Tavern at The Essex features an expanded bar area along with seasonal patio seating adjacent to the East Lawn and the Resort's vegetable and herb gardens, providing diners with a more secluded al fresco experience.The menu is inspired by the finest local ingredients, sourced from Burlington and nearby areas. Enjoy your meal with a selection from our award-winning wine list, our extensive list of VT microbrews, or a specialty cocktail. A children’s menu is available. Seating is first-come, first-served. Dress is casual. Gluten-free options are available.
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

Highly recommend their burgers. Their famous corn clam chowder is delicious but does not have any clam flavor. Atmosphere nice.

Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Food was terrific, but the service was very slow. We waited almost 30 minutes for our drinks. our waitress was a real sweetie—-the slow service was not her fault!

Reviewed 9 October 2018

People think I'm joking when I describe this experience. We were staying at this self-titled Culinary Institute and wanted an early dinner before an early flight. The Tavern told us they didn't take reservations. We arrived at 5:30 and were told they had no tables because they had reservations(???) for a tour group at 6:00. We could have a high top or wait an hour or so. My wife ordered a burger and fries and I the grilled chicken breast with tomato and mozzarella. When they arrived, after 30 to 40 minutes, her burger was raw and cold in the center(ordered medium to medium rare). The waitress took it back to the Kitchen. 30 minutes later, she returned with a new burger...but the same fries, now cold and hard. Meanwhile, not wanting to eat while my wife waited, my meal was now cold and inedible.
I called for the manager. She apologized for the tour group. Then she told us they were a weekly occurrence. I asked how that caused the raw hamburger and she offered to comp the burger. I pointed out that my chicken entree was now cold and asked if she wanted my wife to eat or wait while they replaced my food. I had to ask, but she agreed to take my cold uneaten meal off the bill as well.
We left...hungry.
Good thing we only had one drink while there, and could still go get dinner elsewhere.

1  Thank OldDukeDoc
TaylorV200, Social Media Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

OldDukeDoc, we saw your review describing this experience on The Essex's main TripAdvisor review page and wanted to let you know we responded there. Thank you again for leaving your feedback on this. We extend our sincerest apologies that this is the service you received.

Best wishes,
The Essex team

Reviewed 8 October 2018

We recently had breakfast at The Tavern after a one night stay. It is cute and cozy. Our service was fantastic. Food was fresh and absolutely delicious.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

Didn't want to leave the hotel pre conference and was very pleased with the dinner and breakfast (burrito!) I had.

Date of visit: September 2018

Been to The Tavern? Share your experiences!