All reviews phelps barn new england cheese shop step back in time outdoor center swimming pond the main dining room beautiful village four poster main building wedding weekend country breakfast cheese and crackers general store front porch cross country ski get away from it all
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Charming place to spend a honeymoon or special get away. Be prepared to spend a lot of $ dining and bring snacks b/c you don't get much on your plate. Lobster pie disappointing - good thing I had the cheese and crackers in the room before going to dinner. Waitress was awesome and very nice...had her for b.fast the next day as well. Room was spacious and we got a good mid-week deal from the owner, The reservation staff is rather uninformed and took forever to book something...need better upfront staff to not turn people off. Furniture in room was grubby and a turn off. Size of room was nice as was the whirlpool tub and the touches they put in the room. Very noisy and light came in from everywhere. Room could benefit from cleaner furniture, light blocking accessories, door strip to keep the noise from downstairs from coming up into the room. Have to give some credit for the antique nature of the building...old as can be and very charming! Bring your eye mask and ear plugs and you might be OK.
Breakfast was included which was a bonus or I'd really have been disappointed due to the lack of sleep. Tea and coffee readily available during the stay. B.Fast was mediocre, but nice setting again. YOu have to embrace the charm of the town and the Inn to make it worth staying. Grafton pond near by w/ activities, and the Grafton cheese factory are fun things to have near by to enjoy.

Room Tip: ask for mid-week special...don't rely w/ what's online as they are not accurate and the innkeeper doesn't seem to care. Want you own space and charm stay in the cottages.View the room before paying. * They add the housekeeping fee on your bill so don't leave $ in room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I were married at the Grafton inn In June 2012 and it was the way that every wedding should be! Kathy and her husband John (innkeepers) made everything SO easy and alleviated so much stress throughout the entire planning process. She listened to our every word and helped us to create an original, special wedding that completely reflected us as a couple. I cant tell you how many people told me it was the best wedding they ever attended- great service, friendly and helpful staff, amazing food, beautiful atmosphere- they covered every base and did it with finesse.
I have grown up spending much time in Grafton and our wedding totally captured the essence of the quaint vermont scene. Our guest raved about their accommodations, although some of the buildings not attached to the main inn had no AC and with temps in the 90's we were a bit warm. (but if you ask me it made it memorable!) We had one of the biggest weddings that the Grafton Inn has ever done and it went off without a hitch- i literally cannot think of one complaint about service, hospitality, food, etc. We were able to get to know the staff throughout the weekend and left feeling like we had built a relationship with these people.
My bridesmaids and I stayed in the White Gates house and it was incredible! There were 4 bedrooms with their own bathrooms, several jacuzzi tubs, a kitchen with stove/ fridge/etc, dining room, living room, outdoor porches and each was decorated beautifully. Not having AC was a challenge especially in the second floor bedrooms but it is rare for temps to reach what they did that week in this part of Vermont.
We also spent time at the swimming pond which was really lovely and refreshing. We could walk down to the town store (also a great place, i highly recommend stopping in for an ice cream or soda) and get snacks and our house was just around the corner as well. EVERYTHING affiliated with the Inn is within walking distance which really adds to the quaint atmosphere.
My husband stayed in the Cricketer suite for the week and i stayed with him there the wedding night. The cricketer is just above an art gallery and is very private and you also have a nice view of the inn. It does have AC which is nice. It could use a bit of updating in terms of decoration but it did add to the charm of it all.
I cannot say enough about kathy and the entire inn- they really made my wedding what it was, they took great care of me and each of my guests. We were able to do a rehearsal dinner, a flat bread pizza night for the guests, two country style breakfasts for everyone, and the wedding ceremony/ reception/ after party without problems. Everyone raved about food and complemented the great staff. The attention to detail and ability to work with us to create an extraordinary wedding was so exceptional. All of the food was prepared so well and the menu was fantastic. This is the prefect destination for a country wedding, and speaking as someone who grew up in Grafton it is great spot for kids and adults alike- there really is something for everyone. So many hiking, biking, outdoor adventure options while being a quick drive from shopping, and historical spots i think it is a perfect place to relax and spend time together.
I could go on forever about how wonderful this place is and what a great job they did with our special day but ultimately you need to check it out for yourself!!

Room Tip: The main inn has AC while some of the outlying buildings do not- I would however recommend the separate buildings if you have a group of people, the houses are so charming and functional for groups. There are no TV's in the rooms but plenty to do outside.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We were recently in Grafton for a family get togeather and rented one of the homes across the street from the main Tavern. The house , accomodations as well as the service were perfect!. Our family , which consisted of 6 adults, 5 teenages and two young adults all had an amazing time in Grafton. Very relaxing !! perfect get away to decompress and get away from the hustle and bustle of life.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We Love the Grafton Inn, and especially the Phelps Tavern; it's a cozy, intimate setting with very good pub food and charming service. They also have music on Saturday nights which is usually local and high quality. My family and I dined there tonight; one son had the burger, the other the fish and chips and my wife had the Veggie Burger, which comes with an amazing tomato chutney. I ordered the Caesar salad with a double order of Hanger steak, one of my favorites, of course the Hanger medium rare. It was a busy night with a music festival going on, so we weren't totally surprised when the boys fries were on the cool side, but my salad arrived with the Hanger steak well done. I'm not that picky- medium would have been fine, but the steak was tough and dry. When I sent it back I was really shocked when the server came back and told me that the steak had to be cooked well because of "health reasons". I really don't blame her, I blame the chef who had the nerve to make something so ridiculous up- any sensibly well trained chef would never allow a Hanger to be cooked well anyway given the lack of fat on the cut. So I sent the salad away and cancelled the relatively expensive bottle of wine.

A few minutes later our server came back to let me know they would be willing to make it medium rare. It was perfectly cooked, just the right blend of char on the outside and a pink warm center.

So I love the Grafton Inn and the Phelps Tavern but I was absolutely shocked that a chef would tell a server to tell their customer they can't have their steak served the way they want. #fail.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank WinsorTraveler
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Best wedding one can ever imagine at Grafton Inn this past weekend. The staff was plentiful and kind and facilitated the housing, 2 brunches and logistics of 200 guests with grace and adeptness.

Kathy Cray helped to create a dream wedding with my kids. She guided them through the planning with great spirit and soothed nerves along the way . I can't say enough good things about this gorgeous, bucolic setting, the historic inn or each one of the staff members . Kathy lent her helping hand through every step before, during and after the planning, the rehearsal dinner and the wedding.

Room Tip: The rooms are charming and are air conditioned and clean. The Inn includes a number of houses in the village. All are charming and clean but the houses are not air conditioned.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family