“Perfect place to elope.”

and 1 more site!
Governor's House in Hyde Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2013

First I have to say Suzanne is a very gracious hostess. My husband and I wanted to get married in VT and I'm so happy we decided on the Governor's House. Suzanne was beyond accommodating, even postponing her vacation to allow us to be married on the date we choose. Wow! Not many people do that.
The Inn is beautifully furnished, and we were lucky enough to be the only guests for most of our time there. If you plan on eloping, every detail of the ceremony is taken care of. All you really have to do is show up:) The food is delicious and so fresh... We still dream about the fresh butter served with our dinner. We look forward to returning on our one year anniversary.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 29 January 2013

I just got back from my fourth Jane Austen weekend at the Governor's House and, as always, I had a wonderful time. The house itself is beautiful and the rooms are so inviting and comfortable. Suzanne is the perfect hostess, providing delicious meals and delightful conversation all weekend long. The weekend started on Friday night with an interesting and informative presenatation on life during Jane Austen's time, enjoyed over mulled wine, hot cider and sweet treats. Saturday began with a delicious hot breakfast and we then went off to do our own thing (which included reading next to the fire, visiting with old friends, and making new ones.) Suzanne then provided tea, complete with finger sandwiches, scones, and sweets. We learned the proper way to serve and receive tea, as well as other etiquette lessons, and listened as Suzanne read us passages about Jane Austen and life during her time. After tea, we were left to ourselves to relax, which for me meant working on a puzzle (something I love to do but only ever seem to find the time to do when I come to the Governor's House). Dinner Saturday night was another delicious meal, with lots of lively conversation and friendly fellowship. The weekend ended on Sunday with another fabulous meal, this time a brunch which included a fun trivia contest. I recommend the Governor's House to everyone! And I am already looking forward to spending another weekend next winter with Suzanne and Jane Austen!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I took an impromptu trip to Vermont and was totally charmed by the Governor's House. Suzanne has a knack for steering her guests toward day trips suited to their interests and I thoroughly enjoyed a tour of the covered bridges in the area. The Inn is lovely, the owner welcoming and knowledgeable, and the food delicious. I look forward to attending one of the Jane Austen weekends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2012

To celebrate my sister’s 60th birthday, four of my sisters and I participated in one of Suzanne’s “Jane Austen Weekends. The accommodations were superb and the welcome magnificent. The Governor’s House is beautifully restored and maintained. The “Austen” activities gave us an opportunity to meet the other participants without constricting our time to explore Hyde’s Park and Stowe. We easily bonded with the other guests and enjoyed the information shared about the Regency period during the teas and mealtimes. Suzanne helped arranged a country-side carriage ride in Stowe and even surprised my sister with a birthday cake at the Saturday Regency dinner. Unbeknownst to Suzanne, the spice cake she made was the same cake our mom made for my sister’s birthday. This happenstance only added to the specialness of the weekend. We traveled 11 hours by car and would do in again in a heartbeat! This place is definitely a Vermont “go to” destination.

Room Tip: All room are worthy of any quest
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We went to The Governor's House to elope. The owner did all the cooking (delicious breakfasts and our wedding dinner), cleaning, flowers, champagne, cake, and even took our wedding pictures! We stayed in a clean, neat room with electric fireplace and English style bathtub where I could soak up to my chin! She even provided a crib and booster seat for our 6 month old baby. The town of Hyde Park is small but has a nice little bakery and everything you need within 5 miles. Very close to Stowe, a cute little ski town. We had a sweet little wedding and a great time!

• Stayed: October 2012
15.3 km away
Green Mountain Inn
Green Mountain Inn
#1 of 24 in Stowe

Been to Governor's House in Hyde Park? Share your experiences!