“Hidden Pleasure”

Big Bob's Food Shack
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Hydeville
Reviewed 4 March 2018

If you ever wander to Hydeville, VT., a blink-and-you'll-miss-it town, stop at Big Bob's and you'll have a wonderful meal, served by a friendly waitress, in a comfortable setting. The seafood is tasty, as is everything else. We went twice with relatives, including 3 picky children, and all were ecstatic. BYOB.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Good food at reasonable price. Outside not much to look at but food is tasty and for me, that's the main thing. Planning on going again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for delicious and unusual and usual food...this is the place. Everything is delicious.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Wanted a place for good food but not expensive and not overwhelming. Found it at Bob's. Excellent food - bigger portions than we needed but every bit was good. BYOB - wish we'd known ahead. Very laid back and simple place. Not expensive.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

On a trip from home to Ludlow, Vermont. We passed from New York State into Vermont and came to a Vermont Welcome Center, where we were greeted and given an armful of tourist info. When we asked for a recommendation for a lunch place with good foods and decent prices, the rep suggested several. One that caught my attention was Big Bob's, about 4 miles from the welcome center. "It doesn't look like much, but the food is good." That's what I needed to hear. We hopped back in the car and, about six or seven minutes later, we saw the sign in a strip mall. No, it didn't look like much from the outside, but inside it appeared clean, and our hostess/server was very friendly. We were seated and received menus. The prices were decent. The only thing I really didn't like--and that moved my estimate from a five star to a four--was that water wasn't free and available. We had to buy a bottle for each of us. "no, we only have bottled water!" Outrageous! But we were there and we ordered: I had the combo haddock, clam strips, and fries with cole slaw. My spouse had lamb chops with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies (with a side of mint jelly). Each meal was $13.95. My plate was filled with fries, two good-sized haddock fillets lightly breaded, and a mess of clams. My opinion? "These are not your run-of-the-mill clam strips. Being originally a "downeasterner," I know such things. The server agreed: "They're clams and we coat them ourselves." Delicious! I tasted my spouse's lamb (medium rare): scrumptious! We were too full to have any home made dessert. A great meal at a reasonable price. What a shame to spoil it by selling water!