“Great dinner (2 couples)”
Review of Hearth & Candle

Hearth & Candle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Hearth & Candle never fails to delight. The attentive service, the fantastic menu, the delicious food...it's all good...

Reviewed 16 March 2018

We have been visiting Smuggs twice a year for the last 10 years and finally decided to have dinner at this eatery. The host as well as our server were warm and friendly and we immediately felt relaxed and looked forward to a great meal. We were presented with the specials for the evening but decided to order off the menu. For our drinks we ordered the fiddle head draft, This beer was great and had loads of character and a pleasant almost citrus after taste. My wife ordered their roast chicken and I ordered their Venison chili soup which sounded quite interesting and their rack of lamb which was to be fennel grilled with a blackberry sauce and chive mashed potatoes The venison soup arrived and was totally under seasoned.. The chili was mild and there was a definite lack of cilantro which was part of the dish description. The small bits of meat could have been anything but based on the dry gritty texture I would assume this was actually venison. A bread basket was requested and served. The small bread rolls were wonderful however the sweetened butter might have been better used for a breakfast type of meal as opposed to a dinner. The chicken. was perfectly done with a crispy skin but the sauce was bland and again a lack of proper seasoning and this from my wife that is so anti salt. The mash and vegetable were sorely lacking in any imagination or flair and were almost just dumped on the plate without any care re plating or presentation. Lets now move on to the lamb. This dish too was badly presented and the vegetable and sauce were cold. I told the waitress that my food was cold and she immediately took it away. About 10 min later my food was brought out again. I asked her if it has been microwaved as it appeared to be the same dish. She told me this had definitely not been heated in the microwave. The food was now hot but my guess is that the plated was placed under either a gas salamander or other type of top grill. The lamb was now well done instead of the medium rare ordered. I took a few mouthfuls but could not bring myself to eat what was now a ruined dish.
So a few more comments. This is not fine dining as some reviews might suggest. The prices are ridiculous for the level of presentation and skill shown by the kitchen. I would rate this as one of the worst meals I have eaten in decades. We sent my meal back to the kitchen and asked for the bill. I could take a lot more time to talk about a chef creating dishes that sound interesting and different. Sometimes the most unlikely ingredients do work together and this type of culinary artistry should be praised. However if you create a dish where the ingredients should work together but you slip up on the basics the results are always going to be bad.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

We have been to Hearth and Candle many times over the years. It is a quiet romantic place for cocktails and dinner and my husband and I like the fact that the food is great and we don't have to get in the car.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

The Hearth & Candle, this is fine dining at the Notch. I have been visiting Smugglers and by extension the Hearth & Candle for thirty years.

The place hasn't changed. It is still the warm, friendly dining area it has always been.

Our party was all very pleased with the dinners we had, from salmon to lamb we had it all. No one complained, our server Meg cleared the table when needed always keeping an eye on us to make certain the night was special, and it was.

The Hearth & Candle, a Smugglers Notch institution.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We had lobster tagliatelle, rabbit pot pie, duck confit egg rolls, bacon wrapped filet, and wild boar with ricotta gnocci. Everything was delicious