“A sampler with a view”

Von Trapp Brewing Bierhall Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 102 Restaurants in Stowe
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Description: von Trapp Brewing Bierhall is modeled after the Austrian Bierhalles with informal open seating dining. von Trapp Brewing beers are on tap as well as Austrian and Italian wines, Kombucha, Ginger and Root Beer (made in Vermont), Stowe Hard Cider, tea and coffee. Appetizers include von Trapp Pretzels with House Mustard, Beer Cheese Soup, Baernwurst, Knockwurst and Local Cheese Platter, Mini Salads, Shaved Radishes wih lemon oil and salt flakes, Grass-Fed Beef Sliders (3), Carmelized Brussel Sprouts, Three Dips, and Grilled Bratwurst. Sandwich offerings are Cheeseburger, Johannesburger (7oz), Shaved Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Black Bean Farro Burger. Salads include Garden Salad, Trapp Cobb and Wedge Salad. Side Orders: Spatzle, Carrot Salad, Celery Root Salad, Apple Saurkraut, Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes, Austrian Potato Salad, Shaved Salted Radishes, Hand Cut Fries, Roasted Vegetables and Farro, Grilled Vegetables, Braised Red Cabbage, Fresh Fruit. Kids Menu: Chicken Schnitzel Fingers, 2 Sliders, Cheeseburger, Mac & Cheese (Homemade) and Chicken Kebab. Desserts: Lizertorte, Sachertorte and Apfelstrudel.
Reviewed 22 December 2017

After running on the Stowe recreation path, we decided to head up the the Bierhall because the pictures on their website looked awesome. After eating on the porch that was surrounded by glass and beautiful views, I have decided that I need to go back every season and see the beautiful space with a Von Trapp Beer in my hand. I had the sampler and all of the beers were great. The bread on the sandwiches was fantastic. We ordered brussel sprouts as an appetizer and that was also amazing. My friends had the black bean and farro burger and said it was the best veggie burger they have ever had. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

I split a sampler with a friend. I liked the beer more than I expected given their brewing style usually doesn’t appeal to me. We ordered the pretzels as well but they weren’t very good. They tasted like they’d been sitting under a warming lamp for hours which was strange considering we got there right after they opened for lunch.
But the location is absolutely breathtaking. I hear the view was even better up the hill at the old location and where the lodge is.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

We opted for the sausages with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. So, glad we decided to split the plate due to huge servings. Pricey, but to be expected in Stowe. $9 for 2 pretzels and mustard. Nice server. Only had their own beers (6) to choose from.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

The place is located up on the hills. The hills are alive with the taste of brewing. Loved the history associated with this restaurant. We missed the Sleigh ride by one week but I think it would have been fun. I ended up getting the beer flight. They were all brewed well. We also ordered the cabot cheese and beer soup. This was phenomenal! It was cheesy with the right amount of spice. We also got the chicken schnitzel. This too was very tasty. It was served under on a bed of red cabbage and horseradish. The red cabbage was sweet and paired well with the chicken. I am not a horseradish fan but my wife enjoyed it. The portion size was large even though they split the meal for us. The waiter was very friendly and the hostess was also very nice.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

We found out about the brewery after reading the story of how the family moved here and started their lives. The location has amazing views and the building is like a huge lodge on the mountain. We had a flight of beer and all of it was really good. We also ordered a couple of appetizers and enjoyed them too. The staff was very friendly and had answers for all questions we asked about the family and history. If you do not care for beer it is worth the drive just to see the view and maybe have a pretzel.