“Good Choice for Breakfast”
Review of Piecemeal Pies

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Piecemeal Pies
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Description: Piecemeal Pies is a British inspired pie shop and local hard cider bar in White River Junction, VT. We specialize in savory meat pies, but really, we love our vegetables and sweets just as much. Using local, organic, and seasonal ingredients is what we’re all about, so we work with farmers to make sure we always have the best vegetables, fruits, and meats possible. We believe that starting with exceptional ingredients grown and raised by people we know, and committing to quality all along the way makes for the tastiest pies. We want to make food that’s delicious for the community we love. And we want to offer the best cider around.
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Had breakfast here and found it very enjoyable. The home cooked biscuit tasted great and was filling. I really liked the happy and outgoing personalities of the staff, really great in the morning!
A cup of coffee, read the paper, enjoy a biscuit. Can't go wrong.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Located in part of a former dime-store this attractively outfitted place sells excellent baked goods, including meat and veggie pies or salads...enough to make a meal, not just dessert treats. The rabbit pie was excellent, as was the strawberry/rhubarb pie. The prices are a little higher than one would hope, but we treated it as dinner, rather than as a snack.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

My friend who lives in the area had been wanting to try this place. We had a meat pie, a veg pie, a soda, and a lemonade. $35. Really? Not even a little side salad with the pies.The crusts were not tender or flaky--I understand they have to stand up to a lot of handling, but they were really tough. Couldn't identify any bacon in the rabbit/bacon pie or any cheese in the potato/artichoke/cheese pie. Cool atmosphere and the desserts looked yummy...

Justin B, Owner at Piecemeal Pies, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Interesting observations...

Rabbit and Bacon pie is made with local pastured rabbit and local bacon (they are all braised together in red wine and rich chicken stock) in a hearty $13 serving. Our most popular pie!

Potato Cheese and Artichoke pie is $10. We make a fondue of sharp Vermont cheddar and Italian fontina, and 3 ounces goes into every pie. Quite hearty and satisfying!

A green salad with herbs and mustard dressing is only $4. The greens are always local, organic, and flavorful.

I'm not sure which soda you got, but for $4 we make in house sodas to order. Our most popular features local organic unsweetened black currant juice. We juice lemons for our elderflower lemonade every morning.

The pies are made with a classic British hot water crust, which is meant to be crispy, flakey, and sturdy. They are exactly as they should be and stem from centuries of baking tradition. Next time, try our curried vegetable pasty. This hand pie is made with a more familiar flakey pastry and is incredible!

Our prices are not only very reasonable, but are actually a great deal when considering the quality of local organic ingredients used. Many farmers in the community helped to make your lunch! Check out our website for more example menus and pricing.

Also, we just started serving breakfast. Nothing over $10!

We're very proud to be cooking up such wholesome food in White River Junction!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

We stop in once in a while, some time they have a good selection but other time they have very little to choose from

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

I waited in a long line of lunch goers to buy a pie I saw in the case for my son's birthday--he had specifically requested key lime pie. The cashier rung me up but then a man whom I took to be the owner interrupted and told me they couldn't sell me the pie because he had to save it for his customers. When I reminded him that I was indeed a customer, he told me he could make more money if he sold the pieces individually. He said, "You understand, right?" No, I did not and still do not understand. I was shocked, especially because this pie cost a whopping $30, but I was splurging for my son's birthday. The price they sell each piece of pie for is $6. If he sells 6 slices he would have made $36--only $6 more than if he had sold the whole pie to me. Let's say he cuts up that pie into 8 skimpy pieces so that he makes $48, or $18 more. That amount does not seem worth it to me--to deny a local customer standing right in front of him, and who has waited in a long line. What was really strange is that he offered to sell me the carrot cake in the case instead. Now that really made no sense! And said if I had called to order in advance he could sell me it. Very poor customer service and business decision. Oh, by the way, I drove to our old standby Lou's in Hanover and got a delicious key lime pie there for $14.

1  Thank susieq422
Justin B, Owner at Piecemeal Pies, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Unfortunately, THE INFORMATION IN THIS REVIEW IS INCORRECT.

A whole honey key lime pie is $22. Not $30 as falsely stated by the reviewer. This is a great deal considering that everything is made in house. We developed a recipe to avoid sweetened condensed milk and refined sugar. Instead, we juice and zest the limes right before making, and we use local honey, milk, eggs, and sour cream. All of this has value.

The situation being described does not take into account many factors, such as other customers waiting for a slice. We respectfully request that our customers preorder whole pies and cakes 24 hours in advance, especially if they are searching for a specific pie on a specific day. Many people who come in asking for a whole dessert ask what we have available and are very understanding. Sometimes we even stop what we're doing and make it for a polite customer to pickup later in the day if the production schedule allows. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and our business decision is sound. Please do not let one customer stating false information deter you. Read our other reviews on google and facebook. Come visit us!
By the way, we are now taking PREORDERS for thanksgiving pies! Give us a call or fill out an order form at the shop. Apple Cranberry, Blue Hubbard Pumpkin, and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan. Yum!