All reviews riverside room new england bad news isn't bad biggest bed pub fare in fairness cruise ship wine selection burger and fries nice view of the river ski trip second floor the owner traveling alone another guest would stay again
Reviewed 12 October 2017

We requested a reading lamp on both sides of our bed, and the request was honored. The room overlooked the river, had all the correct number of towels, soaps, hairdryer, shampoo, etc. All in the room was in great working order. As noted by other guests and the owners, the hotel is for sale. The owners are past/at retirement age, and have only kept the hotel going because of the severe flood that destroyed most of downtown Wilmington a few years ago that forced them to repair flood damage. The downstairs is a vast lodge, like in in White Christmas, with circular fire pit, extensive dining areas and a huge bar area, deck over the river, etc., but there is no licensee to run the bar and restaurant portion. This resulted in the downstairs operation only being the registration area, and a small area in back, near the Jurassic Park-like kitchen, where coffee and ice is located. The owner made us fresh coffee at 8:00 at night. The rest of the downstairs is dark. We can imagine how wonderful it looked in past years! The room rate was good, walking to all the restaurants and stores downtown within a few blocks was perfect. We would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thekansaspyet
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I am glad we listened to other reviews that praised the Old Red Mill. It is a great place for a one-night stopover in this quaint town. The man I believe is the owner checked us in and explained a little about the place. (If you were to come in late, you would use a combination lock to enter, because there is no staff at night.) It is a large old repurposed mill, and its dining room is no longer in use. The downstairs has old bellows and sawmill blades, etc., as part of décor.
More important to us -- The small, plain rooms upstairs are clean and comfortable, with everything you need, including 2 or 3 electric outlets, and a nice hot shower. I slept better here than I had in weeks. Our room looked out on the old mill stream. Just a short block to the main street and restaurants. Convenient parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charleneki
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Definitely a budget accommodation. The cook broke his ribs earlier this summer and no one else wanted to step up into his job, so the restaurant is closed, likely forever, giving this place an abandoned vibe. The place is often locked up, but if you call the number in the vestibule, the friendly owner will give you the combination to let yourself in and he'll show up "in three minutes." So you walk through the dimly lit lobby and restaurant to get to the stairs to your room. You can use the game room, the lounge, etc., if you want to work that Shining vibe a bit. Your bedroom, however, is immaculate, with a newish and comfortable firm mattress, clean small bathroom, clean linens, worn thin carpet, a worn piece of furniture and sketchy lighting fixtures. The owners have owned this place since the early 1970s, preserving the building as if frozen in time (think Havana). The location is central to everything in the village, yet the riverside rooms are quiet. A highpoint is being downstairs when someone walks the creaky upstairs hall. A good place to sleep for a night or three.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NickB-0001
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The first floor lobby of this hotel is decorated with interesting bits of an old mill--e.g., saw blades as overhead light holders, huge old bellows as room dividers--but it was also dimly lit and so quiet we wondered if the hotel were really open. The people at the check-in counter were pleasant and helpful, but they depart in the early evening, leaving guests on their own with a combination for the outside door lock so they can get in by themselves. There were tables set up as for a restaurant, but, despite the fact that a fairly recent Tripadvisor review talks about the restaurant, there was no sign of any meals being served during our stay. The place had an abandoned feel--or like the inn is moving toward closure in the near future. The second floor rooms are off a long, stark corridor, again dimly lit. Our room was small, which is okay, but it too was rather stark, with plain white walls and little adornment. The two small lights made reading after dark a challenge, as well. The whole effect, particularly as there appeared to be few guests, was a bit creepy. We knew that other rooms were occupied, however, because we could easily hear people talking in adjacent rooms through the thin walls. On the positive side, the room was clean, the mattress firm, and the shower hot. Also, the inn was in a great location, from which one could walk anywhere in downtown Wilmington in a matter of minutes.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2017

The Old Red Mill...well it's not the 4 Seasons but in the category of inexpensive hotels it really doesn't get much better than this. As a single, for a person that needs a place to rest their head it isn't bad. For my wife, who thinks of the Holiday Inn as camping out.... Well she would "endure" it but the stories she would tell her friends. The room is tiny, the bed is a double which is the biggest bed that will fit. The bathroom is also very small. It reminds me of the cabin in a cruise ship. For a couple in their 20's...PERFECT! For the rest of us it's a squeeze. In fairness I was traveling alone, and the last time I was here, which was years ago. I was with 3 of my very large buddies on a ski trip. They had a room big enough to give us plenty of room to spread out. The point is that this really is an old mill. I suspect that each room is unique and you really need to talk to the folks that answer the phone about your desires. They really are HERE. Not in some boiler room in India. That's all the bad news, and I hope that you don't take it as a deal breaker. The good news is that everything is clean; the bed is firm and comfortable. The staff, while not as polished as the 4 Seasons is good ole Vermonters. There is a restaurant on the premises. I liked it a lot. Very friendly staff. Once again Vermonters so expect the plain unvarnished truth. The menu wasn't extensive, Pub fare. I had a burger and fries. Very acceptable. I didn't much care for the beer selection, and the wine selection wasn't extensive but again very acceptable. Wilmington is usually a day trip for me so I haven't had a chance to compare other places in the area. I'm sure there are nicer ones but I'll probably come back here the next time I overnight. One last comment. I ski at the local ski area a lot and we pass the Old Red Mill to get to it. I have never passed by on a winter weekend that the parking lot isn't full. So I cannot be the only one who likes the place Read less

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo