The Village Inn(Harrisonburg)
US$66
US$80
Crimson Inn(Bridgewater)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

We were charmed by our accommodations and our hostess Mary was so wonderful and attentive. We enjoyed the grounds and the tandem bicycle! Our breakfast was simply delish and made fresh with fresh ingredients. Will be back! Thanks for a wonderful stay

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2016

Was in town for a family reunion. Stayed with my mother in the guest room, downstairs, for three nights. Huge, delicious breakfasts. Large comfortable bed. Beautiful yard, lots of birds. Nice shady place to park. Did not have time to use the hot tub, the barn, or the bicycles, but they looked nice.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Ms.Virginia, Owner at Bridgewater Inn & Cottage LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts. I appreciate this as most happy guest do not. Hope to see you all again !

Reviewed 16 June 2016

First of all, the positives! This is a cute house, with great privacy, and the suite works for a couple or even a family (two rooms!). There's a great little kitchenette, too, with a fridge and oven. The owner is absolutely kind and helpful, and breakfast was HUGE and delicious. The barn would be a great place to hang out with a crowd. We enjoyed the tandem bike, because why not give it a try? The massage was rescheduled to fit our schedule better without a problem, and we really appreciated that. The jacuzzi was a hit with the husband, and easy to get at, and clean. There are movies, books, some games and all kinds of random things you might want in cabinets, drawers, and closets if you care to look.

Downsides? From least to greatest. The "dessert" in the romantic getaway package turned out to be a bowl of chocolate candies, maybe from Halloween and Valentines Day, and the cheese plate was in fact just Laughing Cow and Baby Bell cheese. The floor is noticeably sloped and the windows, the ones that open, were crazy to open (two windows with latches in front of each other) and control over the air temperature was minimal, though not a problem in early spring. Our room wasn't entered without us after we checked in--no cleaning, bed service, etc. That might be a plus for some. The rooms needed a good thorough cleaning--sweeping and mopping, as well as scrubbing around the toilet and tub, etc. The caulk was gross, and there was some mold on the walls, scum in the tub, and the most amazingly large dust bunnies under the bed (had to see if a shoe had gone under there, or I wouldn't have looked). I think a vacuum had been run on the rug, as the suite smelled a bit like burnt rubber, which I attributed to a vacuum, but the wood floor was very covered in dust. I think the toilet and sink were probably sanitized with the cleaning wipes in there, but no details were attended to, and it made me really disappointed as far as my "deal" I found for a romantic get-away. If you know going in, maybe it wouldn't be such a let-down, so I thought I'd go ahead and write the review, though I feel a bit torn.

I think if Mary hired a housekeeper, perhaps a local college student, to come in afternoons and do the cleaning, perhaps it'd be more manageable. She's a wonderful lady, but is perhaps overwhelmed at this point to do all the cleaning. If you can get over that dust, it really is a nice little bed and breakfast.

Tips: Ask to order breakfast as you check in, and how to get the jacuzzi going so she'll get it warming up, as it takes some time. Check out the tandem bike and other bikes and helmets in the barn. There's a little park you can ride to that's very close.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple

I would appreciate it when guest speak to me about a problem ,then it can be fixed.
There is no dessert in the Kiss package just,2 dinners, 2 bfast, champagne, box of chocolates and sparkling water cheese/cracker are always in frig, free for guest. Bowl
of candy is free and always in rooms ,mostly chocolates and not from Halloween or what ever they said. I would suggest a large full service BnB ,like By the Side of the Road in Harrisonburg next time . Thank you , Mary

Reviewed 3 May 2016

My husband and I spent my birthday weekend here. We stay almost exclusively at B&Bs or Inns and really enjoy the experience of meeting the innkeepers and staying in smaller towns.

We stayed in the cottage and it was very quiet and very private, which was nice for us. I was a little surprised by some of the policies at the inn, and none of them are necessarily negative, but I would suggest that these be communicated upfront so guests are not disappointed.

First, the pros - quiet and privacy. The cottage nicely appointed and has every possible thing you could think of. One thing the inn has that many don't: all the things you forget to pack! There is a full kitchenette stocked with snacks, crackers, and cheese, and a full size fridge. The bathroom has everything you could possibly think of - beyond shampoo and soap, and we appreciated that.

Breakfast was delicious and HUGE; I didn't want to eat lunch either day after that.

The barn is adorable and if we'd been there with a group, we definitely would have spent some time there. The bikes are great too and we were sad we didn't have a chance to use them (it rained all weekend).

As for things you should know:

I would describe the cottage experience as more of an efficiency apartment stay with a breakfast provided. You order breakfast ahead of time (again, very nice that Mary will cook just about anything you want). We didn't know that we were expected to bring the tray and dishes back down to her (the cottage is up a flight of stairs over a garage), so when we returned back to the cottage later in the evening, our bed was not made up and our dishes were still sitting there. I have never stayed anywhere that they don't refresh the room.

I had also called earlier in the week to ask about massages; I figured it would be too late to book, but had only just heard that the inn could set that up. Instead of the immediate "no" I received, I would have really appreciated at least an attempt to call the massage company. The fireplace is locked during the summer months because she said she had had many people run the A/C at the same time. She did offer to unlock it for us if we promised not to do the same. We just opted to keep it locked.

We were there in spring when the plants are just coming back into season but the inn itself needs some work and some cleaning both on the exterior and some deep cleaning on the inside. Our room was mostly clean but dusty, which caused some allergy problems for me. I am not particularly fussy about things like that as long as the bathroom and bed is clean, and both were fine.

My main disappointment was the feeling we both got that we were "bothering" the innkeeper whenever we asked a question or made a request (and we made very few requests). It seems like she is overwhelmed by the responsibilities of the inn and tired, and it definitely came through to me as a guest. When policies weren't explained to us, we felt as if we were being lectured or reprimanded. A simple note would fix this upfront. For example, there was a comment on a piece of paper that if breakfast isn't ordered, it would be assumed you didn't want it. Thankfully I saw it and my husband called to do so toward the end of the 2nd day. It would have been nice to just have a piece of paper to mark a yes or no to breakfast where we could leave behind for the innkeeper instead of having to remember to make a phone call, and less intrusive to her.

I know many others have said they felt welcomed with a warm reception, so I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps she was having a bad weekend. If you aren't expecting a super fancy inn with exceptional customer service, you will be happy there - especially if you value privacy.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Ms.Virginia, Owner at Bridgewater Inn & Cottage LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2016

As I told them I am 72 (almost 73) and do all here ALL. I am sure they will have a better experience at a full staff larger BnB next time . Sweet couple and good guest.

Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

We went there after spending a winter day in Shenandoah and arrived pretty tired and ready to just fall on a bed.

Mary was a great and welcoming host that quickly walked us through everything and asked us for our breakfast preferences for the next morning.

The place has everything you need for a night or weekend stay and comes with a kitchen and living room space as well. A hot tub was available and warmed up - but not used by us.

We spent a quiet night there and got surprised in the morning with a great and freshly prepared breakfast.

In overall a relaxing stay and in summer sure a great place for a weekend getaway.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Ms.Virginia, Owner at Bridgewater Inn & Cottage LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2016

THANK YOU for the great review and taking the time out of you busy day to do so. It is very appreciated ............Mary