“Not great for young children (annoying guards) otherwise good displays and informational placards”

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Book In Advance
More Info
US$240.00*
and up
Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US...
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Chantilly
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Annoyed at guards that said it’s unsafe to carry my tired 2.5yo on my shoulders/in my arms, I stated parents carry their kids all the time, and he said it was unsafe...so we left, depriving the other three kids in our party of the full experience.

And $15 is a rip off for parking as it’s out in the middle of nowhere.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,962)
All reviews
in 155 reviews
"on site"
in 113 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We had previously toured the original air and space museum on the Mall in DC. This one is so much better...bigger and more to see. There is a Space Shuttle and the Concorde, inside huge hangars surrounded by other aviation relics. Truly something for everyone to marvel at. Allow yourself several hours. Have I mentioned this place is huge??

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia is the companion facility to the Air and Space Museum on the National Mall.

The Museum is in an enormous hanger chock-full of historic airplanes, helicopters, gliders and the Space Shuttle Discovery.
There is an observation tower where you can watch actual aircraft take off and land at Dullies Airport next door.
The Museum is open from 10:00AM to 5:00PM daily (Closed Christmas Day) Admission is free although parking is 15.00 USD. (Parking is free after 4:00)
There are plenty of clean restrooms and a McDonalds onsite.
Plan to spend at least a couple of hours at the museum.

1  Thank Bobby P
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We arrived at opening and spent a full morning touring with a docent. It was a great experience, with one daughter in particular really seeing the connection between innovation, history, and US power in the world. We ended with a flight in one of the simulators, which was very fun and memorable.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Crazy busy the Friday before Easter today. I can't believe I actually stood in line to buy my teenager socks in the gift shop....the line was insanely long, but quick. Hadn't been here in 5 years since the last time we lived in NOVA. My 17 year old needed pictures for a school project so it was my perfect excuse to go back to see this museum. Still my favorite "A&S" museum. LOTS of aircraft, LOTS to see. Love this place. Parking is $15, but plenty of it is available. Much easier than going to the Mall.

1  Thank cathy h

Travellers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

McLean, Fairfax County
Chantilly, Fairfax County

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!