“What a pleasant find!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

Taken to lunch by a neighbor who is a long-time regular of Carmelo's. My spouse is not overly fond of Italian cuisine, so it is always a treat to be introduced to a good Italian restaurant by someone else. This was a double treat!!!

From the warm greeting by name of my friend by the proprietor, who also asked after his wife, to the friendly goodbye come again soon, this was almost like dining with family. The menu is not huge; it fills two sides of a sheet of paper. But, oh so tempting a selection. No pizza: this is high class home cooking. I ordered an eggplant dish-- one of my favorites. It was superbly prepared. The eggplant was firm, but not raw. The tomato sauce complemented the eggplant perfectly. My host ordered veal Francesca (sp?). It came with what looked to be a delicate brown sauce full of mushrooms. I almost wished that I had eschewed the warm bread that preceded the meal because I had difficulty finishing the ample portion of eggplant with side pasta. And, lest I forget, the cup of lobster bisque was also top notch.

For sure, I'll return with spouse soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Made short notice reservation on a Sunday evening with no problems. From the moment we entered and were greeted until we left, my wife and I felt as if everything was catered just for us. This is by far the best Italian restaurant in the Charlottesville area.

1  Thank Marine1981
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

After living in La Jolla for 5 years I realize I am spoiled when it comes to fine cuisine. However there is a certain level of ambiance, quality and taste you come to expect regardless of local when the menu boasts $30 + entrees. I have enjoyed better meals at the Olive Garden then here. Do your budget a favor and spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Very nice and quiet. Went with another couple and had a great dinner and visit. Will return soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

They have a very basic Italian menu. The pasta is very good, as was everything else we tried. Service was spotty, and it was not busy on a Sunday evening. Wine list is very good. However, the red wines are served way too warm. It ruins a good red wine to be served at almost 80 degrees. All entrees come with a house salad that is both large and good. The complimentary bread was terrific. You are always greeted like an old friend in this place. Not a bad thing at all.

1  Thank 64Jag