“Sweet Little Spot”

Public Fish and Oyster
Reserve with OpenTable
Public Fish and Oyster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$20 - US$55
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Public Fish and Oyster is a full service seafood restaurant and raw bar specializing in fresh, New England-style seafood in Central Virginia. Our commitment is to hospitality, quality ingredients and fair prices in a warm, inviting atmosphere.
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

My sister and I wanted to eat after a day at Monticello. A Trip Advisor search led us to Public. We weren't disappointed. The space is intimate but doesn't feel crowded. Neither of us care for oysters, unfortunately, but since we arrived during happy hour, we could order a Connecticut style lobster roll to split. The meal came plated separately for us. The Belgian fries with sea salt were piping hot and delicious served with Aioli. Our server was professional, friendly, and accommodating. Oh, we both each ordered a bowl of New England clam chowder. It was deliciously flavorful.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Wonderful atmosphere! The oysters, shrimp, fries, and brussel sprouts were fantastic. Lively atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

It started out a little rocky when I called to make reservations and Dave told me that they didn't have any tables that evening, but that it looked like the weather was going to be nice that Saturday night and they were opening up the patio. Because I don't like to be cold, especially when I'm eating out, I asked if they had heaters. He assured me they did. To our surprise, when we arrived for our 7:30 reservation, Dave said he was sorry but the propane guy didn't show up so they only had one outdoor heater working and someone else was sitting at that table. It was getting nippy out so we weren't going to sit outside without the heater. After much discussion, we compromised and sat at an unheated table to have drinks and would get the heated table as soon as the guests seated there left. Dave was very gracious. Oyster shooters that we ordered ended up being on him. He and Jessica our server were great. Service couldn't have been better. An the food?? Fabulous. My advice, call early and make a reservation. It's a small restaurant with not a lot of seating, but the food was excellent. Thanks Dave and Jessica.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

The clam chowder was watery, shrimp cocktail was good. We were not impress with this restaurant, because it was overpriced and the service was poor.
If you plan on booking on line and they tell you can't get a reservation until very late - don't believe it. Just call them and you can get in.
We won't be going back.

1  Thank Bonnie T
Daniel K, Owner at Public Fish and Oyster, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Bonnie,

I'm not sure what happened here but I'd very much like to discus your experience with you. It seems that your experience fell well short of our standards and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Would you please call me directly at the restaraunt at 434-995-5542. I appreciate your time very much.

Daniel Kaufman
Owner, Public Fish and Oyster

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Given the reviews I was disappointed. The menu is wide ranging and exciting, but if you don't like seafood or you don't intend to eat sea food you might be better served going elsewhere. The oyster platters looked marvelous, however the fried oysters were only OK. A bit mushy. The low country boil was way over-spiced with Old Bay and the clams were anything but sweet. One redeeming feature with the key lime pie and the homemade rum raisin ice cream. I might give them a second look given all the other rave reviews, but on my first experience here they missed the mark.