“A little bit of France in VA”

MarieBette Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #2 of 28 Dessert in Charlottesville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 April 2016

I found MarieBette on Yelp and decided to make the 40 min journey from Gordonsville VA. It was worth the trip. My husband got the egg sandwich on a baguette, quite the generous portion and I got the chocolate-cherry sourdough bread. All the pasties look so tempting. If you're in the mood for something savory, they have quiches to go as well. It looks like a nice place to sit down for a cup of coffee and or lunch with friends. We ordered and sat by the self-serve side which was fine in itself. The service is friendly and the crowds bustling. Definitely not a place for those watching their waistlines.

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Following a tip from an acquaintance, we had breakfast at MarieBette's on Sunday. What a delightful experience. The minute you walk in it smells and looks like a French patisserie, with a cafe attached. The dining room is delightful and was sun-filled at 8:00 am yesteday morning. The brunch menu is quite varied and it was hard to choose between the many options. Finally, he decided on The Atlantic (baked eggs with smoked salmon, dill, and pickled onions) and I chose The North Garden (baked eggs with mushrooms, pearl onions and tarragon). Both were very good. The coffee is excellent and the ambiance is lovely. We'd return anytime, and will the next time we're in C'ville. On our way out, we couldn't resist the offerings in the bakery display cases and left with a croissant, an apple galette and a petite kouign amann, all of which we devoured in the car on the way home -- every one of them delicious!

Reviewed 9 April 2016

Several years ago we read a review naming Mrs. London's in Saratoga Springs the best bakery in the country. We have been there many times and have always been impressed. MarieBette Cafe is just as good. We went for breakfast and were so impressed with the quality of the food we ordered $40 of pastries to take back with us to Vermont and have been enjoying them for the past few days. We tried 4 or 5 different French pastries and they all were amazing. If you like high quality French bakery products definitely give this place a try.

Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

Stopped by on a Sunday morning for breakfast. They do a brisk business. Had a bit of a line so had a nice espresso and mini cookie in a little alcove during the wait. It's a clean, bright and cheerful ambiance with a vey pleasant staff. Everyone's brunch was nicely presented and delicious. We were so pleased that we purchased some baked goods to go. Very reasonably priced. A keeper!

Reviewed 14 March 2016

Tucked away in a relatively seedy residential neighborhood of downtown Charlottesville, MarieBette is a cute little French cafe and bakery in an otherwise unremarkable location on Rose Hill Drive, just off Preston Avenue. Not much to look at from the outside, it's nicely remodeled inside. Seating with service is in the back, casual sit-down areas are in the front, including stools and a counter looking out the large plat-glass windows.

I've only been there for brunch and pastries, so I can't tell you about lunch. Today we had brunch with my two young adult children. I ordered the "Simple Baked Eggs" which is 2 sunny-side up eggs baked in a mini pan with cream and garlic. It comes with bread to soak up the eggy goodness. Emily got the Quiche Lorraine and that came with a small side salad as well. My daughter ordered the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, and that was my favorite by far - like eating dessert for breakfast! Lastly, my son ordered a side of bacon (don't ask), and that was pretty good too.

I mentioned the bakery earlier, and they have a large selection of pastries. I've tried the chocolate croissant, the almond croissant, and the pecan sticky buns. All are very good. Since tomorrow is PI Day (3/14), I also got a small chocolate torte cake ($15.25) with a PI symbol on top to take to work tomorrow. :-)

Parking is around back,, plus there is on-street parking nearby. It gets crowded, so don't be surprised if you have to wait for a table. There are a handful of small tables in the front area, and maybe a ten tables in the rear seating area. Probably not the best place to bring a big party, but nothing in Charlottesville is especially large. They have seating outside as well, so that should help now that the weather is getting warmer. We waited 5 minutes for a table at 11:30 AM, so it wasn't bad.

Price for breakfast entrees are $6-$10, about $4 for sides (e.g. bacon). Coffee/tea $3. Price for the four of us, including coffee, OJ, a chocolate croissant (for me - I told you they are good) came to less than $50.

1  Thank RedWingJoe