“Other reviews almost kept us away...”

Queens Way Soul Cafe
Ranked #92 of 337 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 April 2015 via mobile

My family and I visited Queen's Way after driving from Williamsburg on Easter Sunday. We wanted some good soul food. We almost did not visit this restaurant after reading reports of poor customer service and long waits. Our experience at Qyeen's Way was not like the negative reviews we read. The server was very pleasant, welcoming, and attentive. We did not have to wait long for our food as some of the previous reviewers mentioned. I had fried whiting fish, shrimp, mac and cheese, and cabbage. Everything had a good taste, with one exception. The cabbage seemed to have an "off" smell and slightly burnt flavor. With so many different foods on the table, I could not conclude for sure that the cabbage was smelly. I took it with me and smelled it later. It did, in fact, smell funny so I threw it away.
I tasted food from my family's plates too. The candied yams were especially delicious and the collard greens were good too. The ribs were a little tough, but had a good flavor.
I would dine here again, despite the small problem with the cabbage. The other food and good service made up for it. Try it for yourself.

2  Thank DiamondLife23

Reviewed 2 December 2014 via mobile

Great food. I had fried chicken, yams, collard greens and ice tea. The collard greens appeared to be fresh, were seasoned well and were not too salty. The chicken was crisp but still moist. The service was good and the dining room was clean. Located in a strip mall and easily accessed from I-64

Reviewed 29 November 2014

Ok, I opted to drop in this spot the Tuesday before "gobble-gobble" day. Primarily to have a cup and meet a friend or two. As I entered around 1630, there was NO one patronizing at that time. The webiste indicates the HH is from 4-7, and once inside this place signs indicate it runs from 5-9. So clearly…….there is a disconnect. Speaking of disconnect, the bartender is FULLY disconnected from working. It took her moments to acknowledge and make requested drinks. There was a lady waiting tables by the name of Jennifer who donned a smile and pleasant disposition. She made offers of the specials and recommendations of food items. We went with the Turkey Wings w/ gravy, and sides and an order of mozarella cheesesticks. The sticks, were served without any marinara sauce. The gravy was NOT initially served either. We had to ASK for both (mind you, we ORDERED them during the iniitial ordering).

There is amoke seating in the place and the array of music ranged from 80s- early 00's. I was told, there is a spoken word night and Karoke night. I went to the ladies room and urine was in the toilet. With NO other customers present, it kinda makes one wonder. So, I mentioned it to the staff and they handled it. Also, the phone woud RINGGGGG endlessly quite a few times with none of the staff present eager to grab it. SO MUCH SO, that one time, I answered it to STOP the ringing.
I was by no way satisfied with the service, the food however was decent.
If they do not step up customer engagement they will NOT last :-(

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Might, I suggest, that as a patron we have the option of where we choose to dine. I am a visitor from DC, where I am very familiar with dining out as there are a vast variety of restaurants as far as your eyes can see.

I came in your establishment with a friend who suggested the place. At the time of arrival there was one party of 4 seated, we made the second party. Our waitress came to the table talking on the phone, and stood there for about a minute on the phone while we decided what we wanted, problem one. Would you like to know what the conversation was about? A &15.00 tab someone did not pay. We ordered drinks and a snack order of chicken gizzards. Received the drinks and food, not bad. We waited, and waited, and waited and waited for our bill. The surprising thing is the waitress never even came back to see if we wanted anything else. At this point another couple was seated and one more was arriving. Four tables of people. I had to wave down another lady to get the bill, she gave it to us, then we waited and waited and waited again. We were trying to figure out the tip and another waitress whom we never seen, came to the table slide the money from under my friends hand as he was signing the check and left. We looked at each other and could not believe it. That was not the tip nor was it for her as we have not seen her at all. After counting the cash we had we decided to write and tip in however this young lady took our money off the table that did not belong to her. We were talking about it to ourselves and she came to the table and said "What, What". Not that I had to, but I explained to her that, first we never saw you at the table and second that was not the tip. She started to explain to me that this is what waitress do and wanted to give me the history and theory of a waitress. Sorry don't need it, I am Engineer. Then at this point I am assuming that someone that was posing as the supervisor came over and she was just as rude. She was yelling "it is only 3 dollars". Correct and the bill was only 21 dollars, which is more than 15% which they should not have received but maybe if they would have waited for the check they would have gotten a better tip.

We do choose where we want to eat. There are not a lot of places to dine in Hampton Roads let alone Black establishment. We patronize the small business by choice. My friend used to come there often, you just lost a customer. And I will make sure that I tell everyone I know the experience that I had at your establishment. Ya'll really need to consider to do better. The very small crowd should send a message that you need to make some drastic changes in you customer service attempt.

6  Thank Kristen H
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We asked guest services about a soul food restaurant while on vacation in Williamsburg, and they told us about this place. The food was great - real soul food. Our waitress, Jennifer, was so friendly and down to earth. We felt like we've been knowing her our whole lives. She was awesome. The fried pork chops smothered with gravy, mac & cheese and yams were the "bomb"! Our daughter said the grilled cheese was delicious. We found room for sweet potato pie which was really good also. You won't find this restaurant in the guest directory/restaurant listing. You have to ask for it, and it's worth the short drive to Hampton. It's a restaurant & sport bar for you sports fan. Seems like a great local place to eat and enjoy yourself. Be sure to visit to lunch. Yum!!

1  Thank Drake925