“THIS ONE NOT FOR ME”

Stonewall Jackson Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Harrisonburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 December 2017

First the good news: Beautiful structured old Inn. Our room was clean. Small staff friendly and close to town.
Now the not so good news: After reviewing the website for this Inn I have to say it just wasn't reality. There seems to be a hodgepodge of furniture, pictures, rugs etc. throughout. It does not look like the video on their site. Was that outdoor furniture in the living room?? I think so. The atmosphere of this Inn needs updating terribly. Our room was small but you can expect that with some of these older homes. Toilet was very low and shower very small. Breakfast was average and served diner style. Nothing is made available as far as coffee or tea in the evening. In the evening I saw no one to ask. Yes, you can dial a number and I guess get help. No maid service for my room either. Came in late that evening so it was to late to request it. Should you have to request it? Anyhow, I get the feeling that this Inn has seen better days and probably was very nice but I can honestly say this one was not for me.

Room Tip: There appears to be a room on the main floor if you have a problem with steps.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Oh My! The good news is welcomed as we do have a beautiful, friendly and very clean B&B. So sorry about the bad news, but I am thinking five birds expectations were of a different class of lodging. Perhaps more like the ambiance of a venue like El Cid luxury resort.
It was a mismatch; our Inn is not a luxury property. Good review tho, as it gives me opportunity to advise that luxury is not our mission. Our mission is an unforgettable informal, comfortable stay in our home as our valued guest and to experience true "Southern Hospitality"! There are luxury B&B's, but our ambiance is a warm, inviting, informal and comfortable stay in a beautiful historic (1875) setting located in our Downtown Historic and Culinary District. Read a few more of our reviews to better understand what the Stonewall Jackson Experience is all about :-) See you soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

My wife and I stayed here in the Turner Ashby Room. I can’t say enough about how pleasant this stay was. The breakfast was phenomenal. The room was very comfortable and the Inn was extremely welcoming in sight sound and staff. The staff went out of their way to make sure you enjoyed the visit. Two of the staff, Diana and Cliff Young are moving to Hershey Pennsylvania to manage the Berry Patch BnB. My wife and I are definitely going to visit them in the Berry Patch BnB. They both are extraordinary people that made you feel like family as well as the other staff members at Stonewall Jackson Inn. We highly recommend a stay at the Stonewall Jackson Inn for a wonderful vacation or even business trip.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

You are right about the the Innkeeping team making anyone's stay a memorable one. The fact that you remember and mention Cliff and Diana by name should be a tip to the reader that the ambiance at our Inn is professional and friendly. They were here for a six month training experience to return to the Berry Patch where they will do a nice for the new owner there. Give them my warm regards when you visit there. Thank you so much for this great recommendation and we hope to have you back here soon to enjoy another "Stonewall Jackson Experience" :-)

Reviewed 24 October 2017

This review is different than my normal ones because this stay was different. The Stonewall Jackson Inn is located in a home that we lived in for several years during the 198Os, and it was the house we always remembered fondly for its size and grandeur, its beautiful dark walnut wood everywhere, and more. 35 years after we left, our daughters gave us a gift certificate for 2 nights' stay at the Inn, and when we walked in the front door the clock seemed to turn backward. Oh, there have been many changes, of course, but the house itself was unchanged in significant ways too. The same sweeping staircase, the beautiful rooms - though it was a bit disconcerting to see our old bedroom and learn that it is now a suite that goes for almost $190 per night!
We opted to stay in the Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain room (all rooms bear the names of Civil War era figures) on the first floor, and it was clean, comfortable, and quiet, and everything one could want in a comfortable, attractive room. The gas fireplace lent a nice touch, and the en suite bathroom was just right.
It is at the breakfast table where this b&b really shines, however. Chef Cliff prepared a superb French toast topped with fruit and a side of scrambled eggs on our first morning that was so good, words almost fail. I thought that this breakfast couldn't be topped, but the next morning proved me wrong. My wife enjoyed eggs Benedict, and a prettier plate couldn't be found short of the pages of Bon Appetit, and between bites she couldn't stop raving about how good her dish was. Not being a lover of poached eggs, I was given a huge omelet with everything in it but the kitchen sink, and it was so good that conversation stopped so we could enjoy our breakfasts. The portions were ample, it was well presented, and the taste - well, so good that words almost fail.
Host Diana and Chef Cliff were superior hosts, and we enjoyed our times of conversing with them. They made this once-in-a-lifetime trip down memory lane an absolutely spectacular experience. If I could give 10 stars to rate the Jackson Inn, I would happily do so.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

I am sure the house was as excited about your return as you were to be here. What a nice gift from your daughters. It was a pleasure to have you here and thank you for the very kind review and glowing review for us. I live in the garret apartment and am so happy to live here to enjoy sharing special times and memories with all are nice guests (like you):-) Your stay is a good account of the "Stonewall Jackson Experience"! I very much enjoyed your visit as well.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Had the absolute best experience at Stonewall Jackson Inn Bed & Breakfast in Harrisonburg! This place is a true gem!! We plan on coming back very soon. Wonderful hospitality and the breakfasts are the best we have ever had! Such good food! Thank you so much to the wonderful owner and innkeepers! All wonderful people!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

It is always a pleasure to exceed someone' expectations! You are welcome and I sure will look for you back here soon for another round of good fun, food, and our legendary Night's Delight and Breakfast to Remember; the "Stonewall Jackson Experience". As was said, "What is a Breakfast to Remember without a Mimosa (or two) :-)? " Thanks for taking the time to show your good will and add your name to our happy family of repeat guests! Folks like you are priceless!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This B & B is an excellent choice when you come to Harrisonburg. The Victorian style building is historic, the staff is very friendly, and the breakfasts are superb. The owner, Dr. Wayne, made an effort to commune with us at breakfast and helped us with suggestions about touristic activities. Diana and Cliff, his assistants, were pleasant and warm. Cliff is actually a chef with years of restaurant experience. Our stay was three nights in the Stonewall Jackson room.

Room Tip: Stonewall Jackson room was very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
DrWayne32, Owner at Stonewall Jackson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thank you Jim for mentioning the length of your stay. A three night stay like this one, really gives much a better opportunity to experience the true ambiance of a B&B and in our instance all there is to "see and do" in the historic and scenic central Shenandoah Valley and our vibrant city. Harrisonburg was recently selected as one of the most "Adventurous Cities" in the US as well. It is a great fun destination!
It also gives you and your loved one(s) a chance to relax in the afternoon or evening on our spacious backyard patio deck or in the Wisteria Arbor watching the mountain sunset. Quality time! With a glass of great Virginia wine, beer or champagne from our cellar it doesn't get much better. For sheer luxury, a private in-room couples massage from our house Masseur just before retiring is "unforgettable". TripAdvisor's "Hall of Fame" Award is a result of our guests having consistent experiences such as these :-)