“Downton Abbey in Hot Springs!”
Review of Vine Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Vine Cottage Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed at the Vine Cottage Inn this past weekend, and it was such a wonderful experience. My sister-in-law planned a surprise trip to The Homestead for my mother-in-law's 80th birthday, and she wanted us to go and surprise my MIL. We really wanted to celebrate the special weekend with my MIL, but holy moly The Homestead rates are expensive. Not only was the Homestead very pricey at nearly $350 per night after taxes, but that was for a standard (small) room with 2 double beds, breakfast not included. Sheesh. I did some research and realized that the Vine Cottage Inn is literally a stone's throw from The Homestead. Since there was going to be 4 of us including my two young kids, I really wanted a suite so that we didn't have to go to bed when the kids did, and my husband and I really prefer queen size beds. The Vine Cottage Inn had the *perfect* suite for us, complete with 2 queen beds in the bedroom, and a separate living room area. The price even included a home cooked breakfast (The Homestead charges $30 per adult for their breakfast buffet). And best of all the Vine Cottage Inn rate saved us $200 compared to what it would have cost to stay at The Homestead (for a smaller room and no breakfast!). I didn't hesitate to book their large suite, and we could not have been more happy with our stay there. Room #67 had a spacious sleeping area with large closet, and the living area (aka sitting room) was also quite large and even included a dinette table with 4 chairs in addition to a comfy couch and 2 sitting chairs. The decor was so inviting, and I really loved the original solid wood 6 panel doors and old door knobs. So much charm and character, just like the hosts, Jo and Jonah. They were super friendly from the moment we arrived, and we couldn't believe how fancy and delicious the home cooked breakfast was. During breakfast I almost felt like I was at Downton Abbey with everything served in a particular order, LOL.

We are Airbnb hosts ourselves, occasionally renting out our home for local events. But we are total amateurs, whereas Jo and Jonah are true professionals and really know how to run a traditional B&B. But don't worry, they aren't "all up in your business" either, which I think some people worry about when considering whether to stay at a B&B. Once we retired to our suite on the second level we never saw or heard from them. We felt like we had plenty of privacy even when other guests arrived on Saturday. Also, while we were gone for the day on Saturday their housekeeper made our beds, refreshed the towels, and picked up the trash, which was much appreciated. Speaking of the beds, the sheets were soft "like buttah", soooo luxorious. And the housekeeper makes those beds so professionally you could bounce a quarter off of them!

The only minor issue we noticed was that the wireless network was super slow, and there is only one TV for guests which is in a shared living room on the second floor. The wifi was so slow that our kids couldn't really stream any Netflix shows on their tablets (yes they are spoiled). But I had a feeling that might the case before leaving for our trip so I downloaded a handful of Amazon Prime movies for our kids, which they were able to watch without wifi. And luckily there is excellent Verizon coverage at the Inn, so I was able to turn my phone into a "hotspot" and hubby and I were able to stream Netflix on my laptop using my phone's data. The living room just outside our suite was very nice and my husband confirmed it had a "smart tv". But at night I wanted to relax in my PJs in our private room, and not potentially be sharing a TV with another guest (although I don't think the few other guests ever used that living room either while we were there).

Anyway, in closing I just want to say that if we are ever in Hot Springs again, we will definitely stay at The Vine Cottage Inn again! It's a super short drive to The Homestead (like 3 minutes) and we were able to park in the Homestead top parking lot and walk down so no fee to park. Once you are inside The Homestead, nobody will ever know you aren't a guest there. We hung out there all day on Saturday and never felt like it was obvious we weren't guests there because there are a ton of sitting areas all throughout the hallways not to mention a couple of eateries and an arcade for the kids.

Thank you Jo and Jonah!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I just returned from a long weekend at the Vine Cottage Inn and I'm absoutely ready to go right back! The Inn is lovely and charming and so interesting! There are many rooms where you can sit and relax or perhaps read or play a game. The owners, Jonah and Jo, make you feel so at home. I had some work I had to get done while I was there so I curled up on the floor in front of one of the fireplaces and worked away. Suddenly Jo was there with a cup of hot tea and a slice of chocolate cake for me. What a delightful way to work! Thank you, Jo! And now that I've mentioned Jo --- the breakfasts she prepared for us were incredible! Hands down the best ever! Then after we were wonderfully stuffed, Jonah helped us plan all sorts of exploring to do. It was a great visit!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2017

This was my first stay at a bed & breakfast and it might well have spoiled me. The Vine Cottage Inn is a beautiful inn and very well appointed. Though it was too cold, I could imagine some quiet summer evenings in repose on the large porch.

Our room was on the third floor, had a private bath, comfortable king bed, individual heating and was almost tomb quiet at night. The room is supplied with large, soft towels, shampoo, body wash, conditioner, and bar soap. The linens and towels are high quality. Bed coverings are nice and warm. The other rooms are similarly appointed. We didn't hear other guests or the hosts. The smell of breakfast was what awakened me each morning. The inn is beautiful, clean, quiet, and comfortable. If you're looking to be entertained, try the Homestead. If you want a peaceful quiet stay, stay at Vine Cottage.

Jo is a great cook. I'm southern born and raised and with some credibility can say Jo's biscuits are the best. Breakfast was delicious and was individually prepared and served. No chafing-dish powdered eggs and steam-table vegetables here. Just great cooking. Jo bagged our leftovers and we had them for dinner after our return home. Her breakfast is delicious. Simple, tasty, and with a personal touch that comes from much experience preparing food. She's a sweetheart and you'll have a friend to remember when you leave.

We spent a wonderful evening in the parlor conversing with Jo and Jonah (the owners) and a couple of the guests. Jonah had the gas logs going and we enjoyed good conversation with interesting people in a warm, comfortable environ. It's a lovely experience. It reminded me of evenings with my folk.

The inn is within a easy walk of The Homestead and downtown Hot Springs. Sam Snead's Tavern is a short walk and sets a fine table. Make reservations and bring your wallet. The food is very good. Lindsay's Roost Bar and Grill is a short block from Snead's for cheap, but good grub. Lindsay serves a juicy, delicious hamburger. The family provides good, friendly service.

Ask Jonah about the local history, his knowledge of the local lore is encyclopedic and he's a pleasure to talk with. Be sure to visit Falling Spring, Healing Springs, and Warm Springs while you're at the Inn. They're all within a short drive and you'll walk in the footsteps of General Lee, Thomas Jefferson, and John Pierpoint Morgan. Take in the guided history tour of the Homestead, too. It's worth the time.

My first night home, I honestly missed Jo and Jonah. They're hospitable, but not out of their element. Both have plenty of experience in lodging and food service and escaped to share their talents with a smaller clientele. They hit all the right notes.

Room Tip: Third floor is quite a climb.